Gibson Brands Forums

Get Ready To Get Blown Away!!

daveinspain

and he saluted the mighty Zep too, I like him already[biggrin] That is the first time I have heard Joe B Dave! I have been reading his music for months in guitar techniques and thinking, hmm that was a tasty lick and this did not disappoint. Thanks

Matt

and he saluted the mighty Zep too' date=' I like him already[biggrin'] That is the first time I have heard Joe B Dave! I have been reading his music for months in guitar techniques and thinking, hmm that was a tasty lick and this did not disappoint. Thanks

Matt

Hey Matt... When I saw him live I couldn't believe it... It's so nice to have an injection of youth in Blues/Rock. If anyone ever gets the chance to go see him live don't miss it, you wont be disappointed!

I have noticed a surge of younger kids I teach bringing sheet music of Joe, Derick Trucks and John Mayer into guitar lessons, they are really keen to discover this new thing called blues [biggrin]

I think it great seeing blues played and embraced by a whole new generation of fans[cool] [blush]

Matt

The Royal Albert Hall is such a great venue for a show. If you ever get a chance to watch The Concert for George that came out a few years ago a strongly recommend it. All of George Harrisons friends got together to celebrate his life and music exactly one year after is passing. Clapton, Macca, Ringo, Petty plus members of Python all pay tribute to the late Beatle and the hall looks beautiful.

Another video, in that series, he talks about his "signature" Les Paul, and how/why he used

overwrap of the strings on the tailpiece, and "Nylon" saddles, in the bridge! That comes up

a lot, here, so...you might check it out, if interested. Seeing him live, he's quite loud, BUT

with the Plexi baffle, in front, it wraps the sound around, and isn't pointed directly...so it

doesn't seem so loud, to the audience. We used to utilize that approach, years ago, only by turning

the speakers ("Closed Back" cabinets) to the wall, in small clubs or bars, to be able to play at the

sweet spot of the amp, and not "kill people's hearing," in the process. It's somewhat less effective,

with open back amps. So, the Plexi shield/baffle, would probably be a better alternative, for those.

CB

That was just packed with the tastiest licks.

I love his playing. But I have to say. I do not enjoy his voice at all.

I'm afraid, I have to agree, totally. It's just too uninspired, not gritty enough,

("Black" enough, if you like). There are plenty of "white boys, and girls" that

CAN sing "The Blues," but he's not one of them...IMHO. Almost seems like "Pop"

Blues, to me. But, he is a good technical player, for sure. He's still pretty young,

so he may grow into it, more?

CB

Hey Matt... When I saw him live I couldn't believe it... It's so nice to have an injection of youth in Blues/Rock. If anyone ever gets the chance to go see him live don't miss it' date=' you wont be disappointed!

[/quote']

I agree Dave, after seeing him in Atlanta I described it as spiritual. He played Just got paid at the show and I was blown away!

For anyone who hasn't had the privileged of seeing him check out some of his videos on Bonamassa TV:

http://www.jbonamassa.com/jbtv/

My wife said he's the coolest player she has ever seen.

That was just packed with the tastiest licks.

I love his playing. But I have to say. I do not enjoy his voice at all.

I'm shocked... His playing is amazing everyone seems to agree but his voice very much complements his playing. You should listen to his latest CD "The Ballad of John Henry" His voice is so wraped into the music and vibe at times it sounds like another instrument... Or maybe it just grows on you, whatever.... I think he has a great bluesy melodic voice...

Archived