Gibson Brands Forums

Books you Recommend to a friend or anyone.

dem00n

However, if we are picking favorites to recommend, then it has to be these two.

Anthem at only roughly 100 pages changed my life...

13705442.jpg

However, if I had to take one book with me into eternity, it might be The Fountainhead - same

ideas as Anthem with more plot...

13705452.jpg

I am Howard Roark, always have been, but I never understood that until I read this book.

(I guess you may not understand that if you have not read it, but I said it for me not you)

(Which you also might misinterpret - until you read the book.)

Another note, fans of RUSH will notice a lot of familiar ideas in Ayn Rand's books. Neil Peart

was a huge fan of her writing. Read Anthem and you will never hear their song "Anthem"

- or the whole "2112" suite - the same way again, I promise.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1's for the Hemingway's, Vonnegut, and Douglas Adams.

If you like the Hitchhikers Guide them You'll probably like Adam's Dirk Gentley books, "Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency", and "The Long dark Tea-Time of the Soul".

Steinbeck's "Cannery Row" and "Of Mice and Men"

"The Sky is Falling" - Aurthur Weingarten

"A Christmas Carol" - Dickens (I'm on the first ghost right now)

"Doc Savage" novels - Lester Dent (They're just so Hokey they're cool).

"The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" - B. Traven

Ugh! The Fountainhead! An old gf of mine recommended that book to me and I couldn't even finish it. Probably the most depressing book I've (almost) ever read.

Really. I love her books.

One of my all time favorite books, though, is The Stand.

Well...

Tao Te Ching, Hagakure, Go Rin No Sho.

Any collection of Plato in a relatively recent translation for easier reading. Aristotle's Poetics - just kinda switch the idea from being about plays into being about music.

Any of David Drake's sci fi. For what it's worth, he's a classical scholar who writes a darned good adventure. A few of his pieces start slowly. Probably my favorite recent female fictional character is Adele Mundy from "With the Lightnings" that started a good series that as much of Drake is based on history and myth.

Another now hard to find sci fi series was Gordon Dickson's Childe Cycle that is kind of an interesting metaphor for the splintering of culture we may likely be experiencing today in the US. He also mentions a "final encyclopedia" that seems a nearly vision of what the Internet might mean.

What else... Plutarch's "lives" is mandatory as are Homer and Herodotus. Thucydides is neat, but so is the Sun Tzu.

I read Kerouac as a kid. Always thought the critic who called it "typewriting" instead of "writing" had it nailed.

Modern writers? Hmmmm. Probably anything by John Keegan, at least if you're into military history at all. His first widely read piece is "The face of battle" that is pretty neat. It may hook you.

I had a short-time college GF talk me into Ayn Rand. I think it was her way of saying she wanted to be dominated a bit, but then a math major girl and a history/lit/guitar/martial arts guy probably wasn't the best mix regardless.

Man, Beast, Dust: The Story of Rodeo is 60 years old and still pretty neat if you wonder about rodeo in the "cowboy country" of the U.S. and Canada.

m

Anyone who is a science fiction fan should try to find the Horseclan series by Robert Adams - This is a long series in a post-holocaust world. He get's a bit preachy at times not in a bible way but you are definitely subjected to proselytization but still a good read with strong characters he carries through a dozen or more books.

It's out of print now but it was like Twilight when they were printed so there in a lot of used bookstores and online

Sci Fi... Heinlein (Stranger in a Strange Land-- Starship Troopers etc)..

Asimov..Bradbury.. Jules Verne

Catch-22 - . Joseph Heller.

Electric Kool Aid Acid Test.. Tom Wolfe

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey

Clockwork Orange.. Burgess

Fahrenheit 451.. Bradbury..

Dashiell Hammett (old detective stories.. Maltese Falcon/Thin Man)..

Tolkien's stuff...

Carlos Castenada's stuff..

Slaughter House - 5--Cat's Cradle. Vonnegut.. (Just saw Back to School/Rodney Dangerfield...),,

Sherlock Holmes stuff.. A. Conan Doyle

Dr. Seuss.....

Among others..

In fiction, I like (and would "recommend to a friend or anyone") Albert Camus (especially "The Stranger" and "The Plague"), John Barth's "Giles Goat Boy", Don DeLillo's "Mao II" and "Underworld", and John LeCarre's spy stuff.

In non-fiction, I really enjoyed "The Dancing Wu Li Masters" by Gary Zukav. It's all about quantum mechanics but with only maybe a half a page of math in the whole book. I am re-reading James George Frazer's "The Golden Bough" which is an excellent account of primitive myth, legend, ritual, and symbolism from the dawn of western civilization. On a musical note, Charles Mingus' autobiography "Beneath the Underdog" is really, really good.

Retro...

Yes, definitely the horseclans stuff too... <grin> Given my name, I kinda bought into those. <lol>

Eric Flint writes good stuff...

Go to the Baen web site for more - and even some downloadable books to get a hint of some really neat stuff that's available.

Mr. Natural: James George Frazer's "The Golden Bough" is quite a neat piece. Do you read some of Eliot's poetry? E.g., The Wasteland?" My mother got me into reading both, and more, when I was a sprout. But then, she was the lit and history nut and my dad was the philosophy nut.

I guess Bullfinch's Mythology should be mentioned, too.

m

Mr. Natural: James George Frazer's "The Golden Bough" is quite a neat piece. Do you read some of Eliot's poetry? E.g.' date=' The Wasteland?" My mother got me into reading both, and more, when I was a sprout. But then, she was the lit and history nut and my dad was the philosophy nut.

I guess Bullfinch's Mythology should be mentioned, too.

m

[/quote']

milod, no, I haven't read Eliot. I read a collection of Wallace Stevens' poetry back in college (a girlfriend gave me a book). It was good; I enjoyed it, but I'm just not much of a poetry guy.

And, yeah, Bullfinch is good. Robert Graves did a pretty good job recounting the Greek myths, too.

Oh, and I forgot "The Troubles" by Tim Pat Coogan. It's pretty thick but a good treatment of the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland conflict, if you're into that history.

Giantrobot...

Which "Art of War?"

I assume you mean Sun Tzu?

One might consider either Clausewitz or Jomini as having written such, too. Jomini had several with "Précis de l'Art de la Guerre" as elements of a title and translations of both have used "art of war" in one way or another.

JFC Fuller wrote more of the "science" of war although he was a bit nutty into the occult.

And Basil Liddel Hart might have been considered to have one title at least that could be considered "art of war."

Then there's Machiavelli's "Dell'arte della guerra."

Vegetius' "De Re Militari" has similarly had the title translated as "art." It's said the Lionheart carried a copy in his saddlebags. (I always figured William (the) Marshal likely did much of the thinking for Richard, but then... <grin>)

Each of those authors have much to offer.

m

Just finished this one:

''Catcher in the Rye'' by Salinger

No man is complete however, if he hasn't read George Orwell's ''Animal Farm'' but especially ''1984''. simply life-changing.

Fantasy:

Anything from J.R. Tolkien, Philip Pullman and the new rising star: Christopher Paolini

Science fiction:

''The war of worlds'' - H. G. Wells, anything from Isaac Asimov, Arthur Clarke.

Horror:

H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe

Classics:

Anything from Jules Verne (he's perfect for your age - if it's not too late already...!), Alexandre Dumas, Charles Dickens

P.S.: Stay as further away from the Bible as possible. I prefer you pick-up Kama-Sutra instead. Far more useful and honest book...

Archived