Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson's New Dusk Tiger Guitar

Duende

http://www.andertons.co.uk/Pages/NewsItem.asp?ArticleID=235

dusktiger1.jpg

dusktiger2.jpg

Just when you thought you couldn't do anything else to the Les Paul, those folks at Gibson come up with a guitar that is set to be one of the most innovative music products of 2010. Some more information has become available about the new Gibson Dusk Tiger. It seems like this guitar will be the beginning of a revolution when it comes to tonal possibilites and sound quality. Read on...

We're now taking pre-orders on the Dusk Tiger. The price as yet is unconfirmed but if you would like to reserve one anyway we recommend you call us on 01483 456777 and place a deposit. These guitars might even be available before the end of the year, but there will be very limited stocks so if you are sure you want one, please call today!

Here's what we know so far...

* The Dusk Tiger is based on the Gibson Les Paul

* It follows on from Gibson's developments with the Dark Fire Guitar that revolutionised the Guitar playing market - they changed the face of guitars once with their Robot guitars, and it looks like they'll be doing it again

* The Dusk Tiger will feature a new and improved Robot tuning system with massively increased battery life New Info!

* Gibson have mentioned a 4 band parametric EQ which would allow for infinitely more tone shaping as you can choose exactly where to boost or cut the sound!

* It will feature both traditional magnetic and piezo pickups which, alongside the new EQ technology would mean even more tonal options!

* On top of that - the number one feature missing from the Dark Fire Guitars - MIDI Output - is highly likely to appear on the Dusk Tiger!! This opens up a world of infinite possibilities where your guitar can suddenly become any instrument you want! New Info!

* It has been confirmed that Gibson are bringing the XLR standard into common production with the Dusk Tiger - it is a much more rugged and professional connector than the traditional quarter inch jack plug

* It has been confirmed that the Dusk Tiger will have low impedance pickups. Electric guitars tend to have a very high impedance which makes them susceptible to annoying buzzes and other interference (like we're all used to) but it sounds like Gibson are about to change all that and get rid of that noise forever. New Info!

* During the 60s and 70s, there were a series of guitars built by Gibson for recording that had similar low-impedance technology. It's rumoured Les Paul himself always preferred to use low impedance pickups for their tonal quality and greater immunity to noise. Now that other technology is more adaptable to changes in the standard, we suspect the Dusk Tiger will be the first in a long line of guitars outputting higher quality, low-z signals. New Info!

* XLR technology even suggests we might be seeing balanced audio coming straight from your guitar which would allow for vastly longer cable runs!

* The guitar will come in a custom hard case with an accessory pack that includes everything you need to interface with your computer via firewire, MIDI and stereo cables, a battery charger and spare battery, and special Dusk Tiger Guitar Rig and Ableton software.New Info!

And here's the latest Gibson blurb on the Dusk Tiger

You have a rare wealth of creative potential lurking deep within, but until now no guitar has had the power to fully tap into it. Enter the Dusk Tiger, simply the most astounding innovation in the history of the guitar. In the wake of Gibsons groundbreaking Dark Fire, the new Dusk Tiger offers an unprecedented wealth of features to expand your sonic horizons exponentially, yet it brings them to you with greatly increased levels of performance and ease of use, and all at a more affordable price. And not only does Dusk Tiger offer an awe-inspiring versatility of tone and playability, it also captures a stunning new look that is arguably more refined than anything Gibson has ever produced.

It retains the general Les Paul-inspired body lines, but presents them in a guitar with a flat top made from an exotic hardwood beaming with golden, amber, and dark chocolate hues. This top is coupled with a tone-chambered back, and a unique new pickguard and control layout. Under the hood, the Dusk Tiger reveals countless new features that give it even more power, along with considerable upgrades and improvements of existing electronics and control systems, and an unlimited number of sound possibilities. New to the Dusk Tiger are:

* Programmable active four-band parametric EQ systems for both the magnetic and the piezo pickups, which allow infinite fine tuning of your tone

* Switchable LP-Z High Definition Impedance circuit (low impedance capabilities) built into improved Neutrick jack with both 1/4" and XLR outputs

* And much, much more...

Further details and additional hi-res images will be available from Monday 16 November followed by a list of global events and promotions confirmed for the worldwide launch of the most innovative guitar in the history of music, The Gibson Dusk Tiger.

At the moment it's all very cryptic, and certainly intriguing. Even without all the info we can see that the Dusk Tiger will be one of the key guitar products of 09/10. With all the cool new features making music is bound never to be the same again! We will of course keep you updated on the Dusk Tiger and let you know how it is the minute we can get out hands on one! If we've guessed right, these guitars will be the start of a revolution that standardises the sound quality and versatility of electric guitars at a much higher level than ever before!

Sign up to our special Gibson Dusk Tiger mailing list above to be the first to know about this amazing new music tech axe!

Elantric I saw your post about it in the harmony central forum (if I remember correctly)... good info there man. Thanks for taking time to post it here too.

I love how the guitar looks (wood, pickups, fretboard) and I love the features... but oh god I hate those pickguards/plates!

Elantric I saw your post about it in the harmony central forum (if I remember correctly)... good info there man. Thanks for taking time to post it here too.

I love how the guitar looks (wood, pickups, fretboard) and I love the features... but oh god I hate those pickguards/plates![/quot

+1

I did the look but the plates and pickguards gotta go

I love the way it looks except for the blue LED in one of the knobs. Wasn't amber available to go with the finish? Overall, very funky!

On the whole, it's not the kind of guitar I would buy based on functionality; I'd spend too much time screwing around with it. Simpler works best for me but I can see where it'd be really nice to have some of those options all available on a single instrument.

The picture in the OP is the first I've seen of the whole instrument. I like this guitar. Both the looks and the features. It has the potential of becoming my next one... [biggrin]

It's not getting a lot of love in the comments on the Gibson site. Relax folks - Gibson aren't going to stop making plain LPs and SGs just because they tread some new ground.

@ Thundergod : I think the back plate may be mainly for accessing the battery, while the pots and possibly the electronics seems to be accessed by removing the pick guard. You can see it in this picture:

attachment.php?attachmentid=308023&d=1257578965

DJ

--

I agree,

An Access, with bigsby option ( no floyd) and all Dusk Tiger electronic bits would have been a far more attractive and profitable direction.

Even with the chrome panels removed, the Dusk Tiger top too closely resembles the fake wood panelling in a mobile home, seams and all.

Archived