Gibson Brands Forums

Your weaknesses in life

Silenced Fred

"Finely crafted guitars and guns. Well thought and craftily written books. Nicely aged single malt scotch whisky..."

Yupper. Ever read David Drake's sci fi and considered whence came the origin of his tales?

Seriously, I'd add "learning."

My "little brother" who's now approaching 60 himself, and I talked about this one recently. It's a matter of learning "stuff" and developing skills, not so much for any sort of competitive thing, but rather to see how much you can learn, or learn to do, or to make your body learn to do.

His example, and I like it, is that he quit rock climbing when he discovered himself trying to "beat" what someone else had done rather than to upgrade his own skills.

He used to say I became "obsessive" when I decided to learn something. Well... maybe. I know for example I've been "into" firearms my whole life, but may be most proud of myself in firearms usage that when I actually started competing regularly I maintained or improved accuracy and yet cut my course times in half within a year.

Ditto with guitar playing, writing of philosophy and history, and another "skill" or two.

For me it's not so much specific guitars or specific firearms I desire (although if somebody wants to give me a nice blackpowder frame Colt SAA or a good replica 1873 Winchester in .38 special, a new 335 or 175, I'll gratefully accept), but what can I learn about them and what degree of skill can I develop in their use.

As for girls... They're almost all beautiful - and most beautiful if they actually enjoy my rather boring company. <grin>

m

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Finely crafted guitars and guns. Well thought and craftily written books. Nicely aged single malt scotch whisky..."

Yupper. Ever read David Drake's sci fi and considered whence came the origin of his tales?

Seriously' date=' I'd add "learning."

For me it's not so much specific guitars or specific firearms I desire (although if somebody wants to give me a nice blackpowder frame Colt SAA or a good replica 1873 Winchester in .38 special, a new 335 or 175, I'll gratefully accept), but what can I learn about them and what degree of skill can I develop in their use.

As for girls... They're almost all beautiful - and most beautiful if they actually enjoy my rather boring company. <grin>

m

[/quote']

I understand. Especially about the girls. We always find them more beautiful than they find us interesting... Shame, that.

Would love to have an original 1873 Winchester in .22lr, but I've always been strange. I do have a few firearms built by the resident members of the ACGG. Guess as far as the originals (other than a really nice 1952 M70 300H&H), replicas will have to do me, as a R9 or R0 will...

DPhillips...

Didn't know they built the '73 in .22 rimfire... at least I don't think they did at first. But heck, Winchester refused to chamber it for the .45 Colt, too, on grounds of problems with the .45 rims. (Lotsa reasons for that.)

Well, technically they didn't do it in .38 special either. <grin> My '92 clones technically handle .357 too, but I think they work better with the .38 and lead 'stedda jacketed. The Microgroove Marlin in the same caliber is nice for the .357 and JHP ammunition, but not for CAS sort of play with lead bullets.

Heck I'll never have a custom, myself... Couldn't possibly afford it. Darn it. But then as I said, I guess learning to use the things is more interesting anyway than the piece itself. Or - who knows, maybe that's a bit of sour grapes given the condition of my checkbook.

Actually I've never understood why some girls figure guitar players are interesting. Frankly I figured even as a teen picker that we were kinda boring if we took the pickin' seriously. Well, maybe not right after a gig, but for anything more than a week or two "relationship." Maybe it's what a lady friend my age described indirectly as something of a challenge of competition. Not being a girl, I really wouldn't know. <grin>

Milo, I'll resist the urge to dive headlong into a gun discussion and move on to the ladies....

Would you give credence to the notion that women attracted to a guitar player usually harbor some

misguided notion that we will touch them in the perfectly exact spot, at the perfect time, with the same studied

intent that we masterfully play our instrument of choice?

That we will somehow free some sort of glorious music from within them?

Or is it some ego trip driven by the need to see if our skill and concentration can be interrupted solely by

their wiles, talents, and um.... efforts to distract us, and make us into slobbering fools for their amusement?

I've seen a little of both.

Usually I've made the concerted effort to compartmentalize my life, separating my guitars from my woman.

Only my lovely bride Mrs. Neo has ever been encouraged to be involved in my guitars or playing.

Former lady friends always had to wait their turn.

[thumbup]

Neo...

I think you're right in terms of "both." OTOH, most of the girls I dated in my own "olden days" were also creative artists of one sort or another too. Hmmm.

I also think - and this is spoken from a point of some degree of "age," that a lot of people, both male and female, tend to be "into" something for a period of time, then move on to something else.

Like from guitars to ... firearm sports to ... volunteering to ... "fitness" to... whatever.

The thing with a real guitar "addict" is that he or she doesn't change, and that other factors may intervene but that without a guitar or, at least, some other musical instrument, there is no life.

So I think the girl who's outside the "picking persona" has to see something other than just the guitar playing. Or, let's be realistic, ditto for the guy who's with a guitar-playing girl.

Yeah, I've done lots of "stuff" as well as playing music, but the music always is a factor in life. Well, so are martial arts, but that's another story. The music keeps the head in shape to make the other stuff "work." People are who you're with, music is part of what makes "you."

If that latter is recognized, by instinct if not a cerebral sort of recognition, I think relationships can work... If not...

m

Izzy's response to Neo's hypothesis.

Carlos Santana mentioned the same thing Neo said about women thinking you can do to her what you can do to the six string in an interview. I never thought there was a correlation. Dancers, HELL YES...swimmers, for sure. I think athletic people have the edge as performance in the sack goes BUT a musician can do the FOREPLAY. I have a male friend, he hypnotises girls into thinking he's hot with the guitar. Also, when you're good at something and she sees you in action doing it you seem more confident. Confident = sexy.

I dated people who play guitar because its something we'd share in common. Everyone in my family plays an instrument and we love to jam as a family. For me, its just looking for common ground. If I was into shooting deer, I'd date hunters.

My weakness in life: dorky girls with black hair, pale skin, and rail thin bodies

dated a cheerleader, a stripper, and a model...it helps if the girl is outgoing and GOOFY.

Izzy...

As far as the "family music thing," I resemble that remark. Not necessarily guitar players but... definitely music orientation.

The other "common interests..."

I think the female psyche lends itself to creating an interest to fit with someone else who has that interest more than the male psyche. But then perhaps that's just a matter of personal experience.

But... shooting also has been a "family activity" in my family so that doesn't quite count, either, in my situation.

Overall I tend to think that relationships of any kind "work" when the various people involved make the other people feel good about themselves. Yeah, there are a few people who seem to feel good about feeling bad about themselves, but I've always worried about such folk. <grin>

In fact, you've also made me consider my earlier comment more strongly: Music in oneself is not something that might be removed without something truly drastic like a brain injury. I've a hunch it runs in families, too... and perhaps more than most other "interests in common" that are somewhat less deep in one's being.

Hmmmm. Perhaps there's a deeper meaning to "making beautiful music together" than appears at the surface.

m

My weakness in life: dorky girls with black hair' date=' pale skin, and rail thin bodies

dated a cheerleader, a stripper, and a model...it helps if the girl is outgoing and GOOFY.[/quote']

Hi Izzy how is it going? I didn't reply on the other thread but your new amp looks like the mutts nuts, so a huge congratulations to you![thumbup] Wow; that is quite a range of 'types'. Variety is the spice of life in my book.[cool]/

One of my motto's :Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the earth!" Well that's what I keep telling myself- and luckily my wife is of equal geekdom.

Me? way too many weakness' to list; but I will share one...not being able to ignore slices of pizza in the fridge that are meant to be heated up for breakfast the next morning. I always end up eating the amazing triangular creations LOL

Matt

Weakness I manage to resist:

Beautiful young girls, with meaningful eyes, interesting minds & strong personalities

Weaknesses I don't manage to resist:

My wife, good food, sweets, beers, good music, a good live concert, evenings with friends

New weakness that beats all the above hands-down:

My newborn sons. I ''have'' to play with them every morning before going to work and immediately after returning, before doing anything else...

Weakness I manage to resist:

Beautiful young girls' date=' with meaningful eyes, interesting minds & strong personalities

[u']Weaknesses I don't manage to resist:[/u]

My wife, good food, sweets, beers, good music, a good live concert, evenings with friends

New weakness that beats all the above hands-down:

My newborn sons. I ''have'' to play with them every morning before going to work and immediately after returning, before doing anything else...

Mine's sota the same but turned around a bit...beautiful young girls are outta my league now-manage to resist sweets,gigs(when my boys were born I became a recluse.Stopped smoking.Going out with the blokes.Don't miss it at all.I have my shed/studio and family what else do I need?

Enjoy EVERY moment of your boys Pan-in the end all we have is family.Guitars are replaceable.Music is always there.Say no more...[biggrin]

Assuming guitars, music and family are all given;

Really nice old Bordeaux; especially Pomerols, St. Juliens and St. Estephes.

Albumen photographic prints from the mid-to-late 19th C.

Hand-built mid-'70s 531DB competition bikes fitted with Campagnolo Record groupsets throughout.

The works of P.G. Wodehouse, A.A. Milne and James Thurber.

The original series of Nikon F and all Leica rangefinder cameras.

Finely crafted hand tools; especially good saws and hand-planes (and using them!).

Conway-Stewart fountain pens.

Oh; and Dino 246GT's although it's unlikely I'll ever own one!

Some of you out there are very specific' date=' wow![/quote']

Funnily enough I've enjoyed this narrowing of my 'highlights' as one of life's discerned advantages as I get older and I waste less time with dross as a result.

As an example; When I started playing them used to think LP's were great; Thirty years on I now think that only a few LP's are truly 'great'. Ditto all the rest of the stuff on my list.

I suppose there has to be some payback for growing old!

Maybe that is the trade off; every item of clothing removed equals a limb removed. You want her naked?

Sure! but she will be a paraplegic!

Matt

I know I'll have to beg forgiveness for this...but it seems so deliciously ironic that someone with the name "Mat(t)" is referring humorously to a naked paraplegic. [biggrin]

Funnily enough I've enjoyed this narrowing of my 'highlights' as one of life's discerned advantages as I get older and I waste less time with dross as a result.

As an example; When I started playing them used to think LP's were great; Thirty years on I now think that only a few LP's are truly 'great'. Ditto all the rest of the stuff on my list.

I suppose there has to be some payback for growing old!

Pippy' date=' dear lad, the supreme age-related payback, at least for us male-type fossils, is the latitude allowing us to say marginally disgusting things to lovely ladies and still be considered "cute". [biggrin

Pippy' date=' dear lad, the supreme age-related payback, at least for us male-type fossils, is the latitude allowing us to say marginally disgusting things to lovely ladies and still be considered "cute". [cool']

LMFAO.....

I know I'll have to beg forgiveness for this...but it seems so deliciously ironic that someone with the name "Mat(t)" is referring humorously to a naked paraplegic. [biggrin]

I hope the flames of Hades will not burn either of our backsides for that!

we wouldn't have a leg to stand on[biggrin] :-k:-$

Matt

Archived