Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Alternitives?

jjulch

I very much love the sound of a Gibson Songwriter and the SJ-200. But like many people out there, the Gibson Accoustic line is far from my reach. I can't afford a $1,000 plus guitar, at least not for a long while. So what options do I have? What would be an acceptable alternative to the Gibson line? I tried some low end Martins and Talyor guitars, they were ok. I tried Oviation and Ibanez, also ok. Currently I have an Ibanez Performance from 8 years ago, its in great shape, no scratches and a couple tiny dents. It sounds great (with Cleartone strings), but its not Acoustic/Electric, doesn't have a cutaway, and its bridge is starting to become unglued. This guitar sounds as good if not better then most of what I tried (under $700 range). So I know I can fix the bridge, add a sound hole pickup, replace the nut and saddle with bone, and keep the whole thing polished. But is it worth it? I'm not a big Epiphone fan, but I tried an Epiphone AJ-200 (for only $289) and really liked what I heard. What's everyone's opinion on this???? Should I just mic the guitar I have and wait a few years or more?

Gibson makes the Epiphone line for people looking for value based intruments. Buying an Epiphone or a similarly priced value based brand is up to you. It'll sound and play nice and be made with laminates and lower quality woods and hardware. So, do your want something now, or are you willing to wait out the amount of time it will take you to save up for a higher quality instrument like a Gibson that sounds and plays great and is made with fine quality solid woods and hardware?

I would suggest looking at the Simon & Patrick, Seagull and Norman lines, which are a part of the Godin family of guitars.

On a budget, you can find nice-sounding, solid wood instruments at a price point well below the $1k mark, and with a lot of variety in terms of looks, wood choices, and so on.

Another alternative is the 'MasterBuilt' Epiphones, which can be pretty good instruments with a Gibson-y vibe and tone.

Fred

I do have enough gear to sell it all for a Gibson Accoustic. Maybe I should go that route? Think its close enough?

'08 Epi LP Standard (bone nut, gibson BB pro's)

'09 Fender Deluxe Lonestar Strat, tweed hsc

'02 Ibanez Performance Acoustic

'08 Fender Superchamp XD

Digitech Bad Monkey

Boss GE-7

I would save enough to buy a used Bozeman Gibby. Stay abreast of craigslist in your area. You may be able to sell just some of your equipment to afford a non-retail priced higher-end Gibson acoustic. Plus, buying a post 1990 Gibson will more than likely keep you from facing serious repair/replacement issues of a truly vintage guitar. That's my 2 cents. (Hey, I just noticed for the first time that the cents symbol is no longer included on a qwerty keyboard. I definitely remember there being one when I studied typing back in the 70's... hmmmmmmmmm)

Buy used.

Play as many as you can, as many sizes and brands as you can get your hands on and stick to your budget. Stick with this formula until you find one that really speaks to you. Be patient, you'll be glad you did.

All the best,

Guth

The 'buy used' advice is pretty good--as long as you don't get something that requires another $500 of work. But I'd start with used options-- just play the guitar and make certain it plays comfortably and is in OK shape.

And if you're in Detroit-- there has to be a lot of folks selling their guitars with the economic shape of that town!

Here's a quick spin down the Detroit Craigslist-

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/1511302835.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/1509724866.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/msg/1502357867.html

And my Personal fav: http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/1499262687.html (but probably not something you're interested in!)

+1 on the Epi comments. they are incredible VFM and the Masterbuilt range are fine instruments. A good friend has an Epi SJ200 and I love it. Matt the Cat has a Hummingbird and he makes a magnificent sound with it.

Yamaha make a good range of acoustics from budget solid tops to Jap built hand crafted. Also the Jap built Takamines are certainly worth a look.

There's a huge selection below the Gibson/Martin price points. Just have fun looking and trying.

I really like my old Seagull S-6. Maybe it was just the luck of the draw; it's not like I picked it out from a rack full, it just appeared. For an inexpensive guitar with less bling than a piece of white toast, it sure has a nice thick woody quick-decay Gibsonesque thump. Mine is a cedar topped model, which may make a difference. It's a '98 but sounds like a '48.

+1 on the Epi comments. they are incredible VFM and the Masterbuilt range are fine instruments. A good friend has an Epi SJ200 and I love it. Matt the Cat has a Hummingbird and he makes a magnificent sound with it.

Yamaha make a good range of acoustics from budget solid tops to Jap built hand crafted. Also the Jap built Takamines are certainly worth a look.

There's a huge selection below the Gibson/Martin price points. Just have fun looking and trying.

AJ making sense as usual.

I am his other friend with an Epi SJ200, bought out of frustration that I haven't yet found a gibson which speaks to me. The Epi is not a Gibson, will not last as long and no way equals the Gibsons projection but it's about 12% of the cost and through an amp my cutaway sounds very cheerful.#

With others re Seagull ( although the headstocks are a bit of an aquired taste)

Recording King? I have a little 000 which makes a very good sound.

Guth is right though.. Good opportunity to play around ( in the nicest way of course)

I am his other friend with an Epi SJ200' date=' bought out of frustration that I haven't yet found a gibson which speaks to me. The Epi is not a Gibson, will not last as long and no way equals the Gibsons projection but it's about 12% of the cost and through an amp my cutaway sounds very cheerful.#

[/quote']

Sorry John. I do have 2 friends and they both have Epi SJ200s! But I haven't played yours yet.

Sometimes saving up is impratical or negates playing at all during that time,so a Gibson can often be a stepping stone.I would strongly suggest that the Epiphone Maserbilt acoustics more than gives a Gibson "feel" and sound on the good ones.They are serious guitars,especially the slope shoulders, and can give you the basics of Gibson,within the Gibson family no less, with solid wood construction to boot.I suspect that they can more than be a substitue guitar until you get a Gibson,a good one could be your lifetime guitar.There are fabulous deals out there and a variety of models and choices. Check out the YouTube vids of Russ Barenberg,"TheDrummersof England"if you are curious about the potential tone and I guess the acceptance of a "lesser" brand,no need for Gibson snobbery. Good doesn't have a brand name necessarily.

Sometimes saving up is impratical or negates playing at all during that time' date='so a Gibson can often be a stepping stone.I would strongly suggest that the Epiphone Maserbilt acoustics more than gives a Gibson "feel" and sound on the good ones.They are serious guitars,especially the slope shoulders, and can give you the basics of Gibson,within the Gibson family no less, with solid wood construction to boot.I suspect that they can more than be a substitue guitar until you get a Gibson,a good one could be your lifetime guitar.There are fabulous deals out there and a variety of models and choices. Check out the YouTube vids of Russ Barenberg,"TheDrummersof England"if you are curious about the potential tone and I guess the acceptance of a "lesser" brand,no need for Gibson snobbery. Good doesn't have a brand name necessarily.[/quote']

+ 1 !!!

I plan to buy a Epiphone Materbit Rosewood as a present to my boss (he is one of my fans and wants to learn to play guitar - so I should buy him a good guitar as he is a good boss! And more - I will play on that guitar! - so my decision is for a Epiphone Masterbilt Rosewood)

Growing up and playing guitar, I had the usual "run-of-the-mill" $200-$500 range guitars. They served the purpose in learning how to play and the different tones of guitars through their build. (rosewood, mahogany, spruce, cedar) When I started playing in bands and in front of audiences, I then realized that a "professional" instrument was a must. For example, a $200 guitar sounds like a $200 guitar even when its amplified or played through effects pedals. For that professional "sound", a quality instrument is a must. Even if you have to save nickels and dimes for years, don't compromise! The only way to get that sound is to have the right instrument. Yes, buying used can ease sticker shock. But IMHO, if you're gonna drop the cash, save and get a new one. Then you'll be the one to break it in and give it your own "vibe" or "mojo".

I went by my local GC today and wailed on a few more acoustics. I did find a nice Taylor, but I tested for someone else who bought it. I tried a couple Martins today, one priced at $799 and the other at $2399. Its funny because it wasn't much of a tonal difference. The woodgrain and hardware outclassed the lower model, but tone was very close. I was at the point were my friend was just handing me different guitars off the wall and I played each one without looking at the name brand of it. I found a nice Takamine too, but as I said, my Ibanez at home still sounds great. I'm going to keep looking and keep playing what I've got. I'm starting to believe fresh strings are making the difference. Many, if not all, of the guitars on the wall have been there for a really long time. Those strings lost their mojo long ago.... So its hard to truely judge a guitar unless its fresh out of the box or recently restrung.... My saga will continue.... Stay Thirsty My Friends!

Archived