Gibson Brands Forums

Garage Sale Score

retrosurfer1959

Well it's not a 59 burst like we dream about but I made a pretty good score at a neighborhood garage sale tonight. I was walking through and came to a table with some nice Guitar straps and a few other misc music type objects so I started looking and found a box of guitar strings, a full Nike shoe box full of new packages of guitar strings and I asked the lady watching the table how much for the strings she said $2.00 I said that's a good buy how many packages are there all take them all she said ok I don't know how many there are why do you care? I said well how much do I owe you then? she looked at me like I was a idiot and said still $2.00.

Well the light went on finally as I said two bucks for all of them?

YEP!

26 packages of strings 12-18 months old per the date on the shipping label 10 were Elixirs most of the rest were Gibson Vintage other than a couple fender and two Cleartone, a combination of mediums and light and about 1/2 the Elixir were acoustic which is great. I grabbed the box up like a crack addict that had just scored and said how much for the straps?

She said oh that's ten bucks for the whole box she said smiling at me so I grabbed that up also 8 straps 2 Schecter and all the rest Levy three with tags still on them. Apparently someone had donated all the stuff after a son had quit playing and gone off to college or something and mom and dad were tired of looking at the stuff.

IMG_0442.jpg

Now you will have us visiting garage sales as well LOL. Great find. Hope it warms up soon.

I'm watching Atlanta yard sales. Some of the best deals sort of pop up overnight sometimes. Things you might never expect to be out in the yard...[confused] Wonderful country' date=' America. [unsure

Let us (well actually me) know how you like the Elixirs' date=' do they really last longer? sound good?[/quote']

AXE® recomends them. 'Nuff said.

[cool]

Gratz the killer GS score! Elixers are almost $20 a pack around here...

I love my Elixirs both acoustic and electric.

They're not as bright as some, perhaps, but you get a more mellow tone per string gauge as far as I can tell - and given that I like light strings but mellow tones... <grin>

Oh, and if you're a gentle player as I am, they last forever with decent tone - and I mean more hours than you'd believe.

m

That is an awesome deal. I am not a big fan of the elixirs. I just hate that crap that is on the outside of the strings. I used to put Fender bullets on my strat, but switched to the ernie ball- they just feel better.

AXE® recomends them. 'Nuff said.

[biggrin]

Gratz the killer GS score! Elixers are almost $20 a pack around here...

Oh' date=' well if AXE® says so.... [biggrin

I will have to buy a pack and try them out, the only thing is I just bought 12 packs of dunlop strings for like 1.50 a pack, but I may have to try them out, maybe ask if they have a string I could feel first (not to sound creepy [blink] )

20 bucks? really? I will have to see if I can get em cheaper....

... know how you like the Elixirs' date=' do they really last longer? sound good?[/quote']

They do. I won't use anything else on my acoustics. Been using them for probably 10 years now. I have not tried their electric strings.

Great score btw, Retro

I think the Elixirs are about $11 from MF.

They come in two flavors, whether electric or acoustic. The "Polyweb" I prefer is the heavier coating, "Nanoweb" is lighter. Note that in effect, this stuff comes from the Goretex company, so the stuff is pretty well done on strings.

m

Archived