Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Straps

KL

I always find it really hard to find really nice guitar straps. I have a few from the 70's that were made by a company called Silver Eagle. Some of them are called "pick pocket' straps as they have a little pocket (which I never use) for putting picks in. Has anyone seen any great guitar straps out there. It seems that a lot of straps you see in shops these days are "designed" with little thought for what they are actually for. So sometimes, for example, the length of the strap is totally inappropriate for any guitar. I'm looking for something retro without buckles on it. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums, KL, good to have you here.

Straps...there are literally TONS of 'em on the 'net, I enjoy seeing what I can shake outta the bushes with a google search. But I've been surprised at the prices lately. Some of the better straps can run over $100.00 US. Considering the fact that I have a separate strap for each of my instruments, that could get rather costly. I've taken a shine to Franklin Straps and have gotten them for both my basses (no, C-Man, it ain't here YET!). Very comfortable and attractive for about $40.00 US. Keep looking, you'll find something that tickles yer fancy. Then you can tell us what you got and where you got it.

Welcome to the forums' date=' KL, good to have you here.

Straps...there are literally TONS of 'em on the 'net, I enjoy seeing what I can shake outta the bushes with a google search. But I've been surprised at the prices lately. Some of the better straps can run over $100.00 US. Considering the fact that I have a separate strap for each of my instruments, that could get rather costly. I've taken a shine to Franklin Straps and have gotten them for both my basses (no, C-Man, it ain't here YET!). Very comfortable and attractive for about $40.00 US. Keep looking, you'll find something that tickles yer fancy. Then you can tell us what you got and where you got it.

Franklin Straps are the way to go, I have them for both of my basses. They are very comfortable, they can keep a "nose dive" from happening, and they got looks too.

I turned my brother on to them too, he has one for his double neck and he loves it.

I mostly made my own from saddle skirting. Still have one left.

They're a bit stiff, but don't seem to bite much.

Seeing the Franklins, though...

As Neo suggested, find a saddle and tack maker, take one in for length... Hmmmm. We'ev a lotta them up here who have better leather than I've access to any more.

edit: Just got thinkin' that I still have my very first strap somewhere. From the mid 1960s.

m

I'm kinda boring here, I like Planet Waves straps (they have a pick pocket) or Fenders Tweed or Cotton straps. Can't stand nylon straps or anything slippery.

I use a Ralph Marlin strap with The Scream by Edward Munch for my Nighthawk. It goes too well with it, the reds match the Heritage Cherry stain perfectly.

I like plain black straps. I don't need logos, lightening bolts, faces, colours, etc. Just plain black. [crying]

I'm fine using $8 polyester/nylon Levi's straps. The problem I have is that it's difficult finding straps long enough for me. I have a $15 leather (ok, cheap leather) Levi's strap on my PRS and it's just a standard length strap. I have it at the very last strap hole and it fits me fine there.

My Byrdland is a problem though. Due to its size, a normal length strap leaves the guitar sitting higher on my body. Coincidently, just today I found a longer cheap Levi's strap (polyester/nylon). It's 3" wide and about 7" longer than any of my other straps. Now the Byrd is sitting on my body perfectly.

Yes, I could have bought other long straps previous to this --- and I've seen many. Even today I saw some long leather ones in the store but I refused to pay $69 for them.

Fortunately this store had cheap long straps. [crying]

A big'o +1. I bought a Moody strap from Allison ("Ms. Moody" herself; I forget her real last name) at the Dallas Guitar Show several years back.

It's a great strap; very comfortable and very fine workmanship.

It is. Fantastic strap...but expensive. I received mine as a gift.

I mostly made my own from saddle skirting.

They're a bit stiff' date=' but don't seem to bite much.

As Neo suggested, find a saddle and tack maker, take one in for length... Hmmmm.

better leather than I've access to any more.[/quote']

I actually like the stiff ones.

It grabs your shirt as well as anything else, but repositioning is as simple as lifting the guitar slightly.

Most people look at me like I'm crazy, but if I'm playing and need to move the guitar with a limp strap, it just

lays against my shirt and won't move - guitar comes down in the same place again.

Maybe it's just me...

I mostly made my own from saddle skirting. Still have one left.

edit: Just got thinkin' that I still have my very first strap somewhere. From the mid 1960s.

m

Funnily enough' date='I do too M. Made it myself too. As all the others fell by the wayside,this one is still going strong some...um...26 years on.

BUT...I now order my straps from these blokes right here in Sydney,and have had them make a customise one for me.

Check 'em out here - http://www.dslstraps.com.au/index.php/cPath/61 - very comfy and they'll make up whatever you want.

Here's a couple of shots of the one they did for my LP -

[img']http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss342/wyreandwood/ik65pff9.jpg[/img]

P091109_1519.jpg

I actually like the stiff ones.

It grabs your shirt as well as anything else' date=' but repositioning is as simple as lifting the guitar slightly.

Most people look at me like I'm crazy, but if I'm playing and need to move the guitar with a limp strap, it just

lays against my shirt and won't move - guitar comes down in the same place again.

Maybe it's just me...

[/quote']

That is why I stopped playing using Planet Waves straps, the material they use is very slick and slides around, for me at least.

I really like the Franklin Straps because they stay in place, don't slide around and they look nice.

Neo et al...

Yeah, the thick strap with the unfinished saddle skirting leather side on the shoulder works quite well for me for more reasons than simply I made it. Actually I made it at first in the mid 70s to "match" a blonde Guild S100c. Sheesh, I just double checked to see what the thing is worth - it's a Guild version of the SG with a gorgeous playing neck for me and an acorn-oakleaf hand carved top. Sheesh, $1,700+ for one not in as good shape as mine.

Anyway, I made the one remaining "my handmade" strap for it to match. Plain leather, carved acorns and oak leaves. Totally unfinished leather. When I was playing a precision on occasion, I'd add the backpack pad. It still worked well.

m

Archived