Gibson Brands Forums

My weakness...

Silenced Fred

If you know more than the blues scale, you have me beat so you're already better equipped than I am. However, a lot of my soloing is improvised and, when we're working out a new song, it starts out as all improvisation.

I'm not the most technical player so I don't really think about what the names of notes are that I'm going to, but I do know what the interval I'm headed to is going to sound like even if I don't consciously think that I'm going to a third or fourth or whatever, it's just sonic for me. What I'm doing is just thinking ahead a moment or two before I play what I'm going to play and hope that it sounds good - it doesn't always but most of the time it does.

Worth noting is that I also have a stable of licks that I pull from that I can slip in or change around a bit on the fly. It's nothing fancy, mostly mutilated Ace Frehley, Dave Davies and Chuck Berry riffs, but they fit my style, I like them and can vary them enough that I don't sound stale after a while.

That's what works for me and maybe it's a bit basic. I think the real key is to think ahead a step or two while still concentrating on what you're playing. Even though you're improvising, you still need some sort of methodology and plan for where you're going to go before you head there, however that works for you.

Competent improvisation only comes from "applied" knowledge and experience. You can learn all the music theory and scales in the world but if you don't know how to apply it then it is useless knowledge. Over time, with trial and error, you will learn the applications.

One way to expedite the process is by mimicking, or stealing licks. Learn by ear the solo parts of a familiar song off a CD or whatever. Try to learn to play those notes within a certain area of the neck using all six strings within only a few fret area of the fingerboard. This will develop a "pattern". Most all solos are played from "patterns". Now take this pattern and figure out where it sits within your knowledge of scales. You may realize that the solo was just an XYZ scale played within a certain "box" pattern on the guitar neck. Then you'll notice that the same box pattern is movable up and down the neck for various keys. This is a very simplified explanation, but you might find it enlightening. Sometimes all it takes is one piece of the puzzle and everything else falls into place.

Another study of patterns is found in arpeggios. I don't see arpeggios discussed much on this website. A good book on arpeggios will also help you develop a working set of patterns. Once you develop a few sets of lead patterns, you'll be well on your way to improvisation.

PS Edit: There's nothing wrong with being a really good rhythm player, an exceptional rhythm player will find more work than a mediocre lead player.

I suck too. I can't think fast on my feet. When I record myself, I realize that I repeat the same stuff over and over. I think practice helps, but the backup tracks available are so cheesy. Also, it's hard to find people to jam with when you haven't played in a band for over 20 years.

I always have an idea in my head of the sound I want to produce.

I know each note I want to bring out and in which sequence. Because I don't know my scales I have NO idea where the fret/string is located, so its a guessing game from location to location.

I would say because you already know your scales don't just pick up a guitar and start poking randomly. Think of the melody you want to hear....then produce it.

Just a thought.

Great advice so far. Another thought is to sing anything that comes to mind on top of a standard blues run. Start by singing along with the bass and just venture off from there. Then record yourself and play the notes you sang. As mentioned here it's not in the fingers, it'll all in your head.

I've been invited to an open stage based on a Youtube vid of mine and I keep finding excuses not to go for fear of falling on my keister.

You should do it! There is no better way to improve your playing than by jamming with people who are better than you. Besides, it's just jamming so you'd have to play something really awful sounding to be offensive.

Great advice so far. Another thought is to sing anything that comes to mind on top of a standard blues run. Start by singing along with the bass and just venture off from there. Then record yourself and play the notes you sang. As mentioned here it's not in the fingers' date=' it'll all in your head. [/quote']

That actually sounds like a really good idea... I might try that

Start with one note. Do all you can with that one note over a backing track or whatever. Then improvise with two notes from a scale, then three. Then start using three different notes.

Try to identify certain things you do "Too Often", like if you usually start a run with the root note, start on the 5th next time, or the 7th. (This is where knowing a little theory helps. When discussing music, not so much playing it. Izzy's is no doubt using the same scales to improvise with, she simply doesn't know names of the notes, making it hard to talk about).

loop stations are great, but I like the Zoom 4 for recording and dubbing over. But even that is just a substitute for playing with other guitar players, and a poor substitute at that. The way to learn how to "jam" is to "JAM"!!!!!

This may sound a bit strange, I listen to saxophone solos and transcribe them to guitar. Maybe it won't work for everyone, but it works for me.

loop stations are great' date=' but I like the Zoom 4 for recording and dubbing over. But even that is just a substitute for playing with other guitar players, and a poor substitute at that. The way to learn how to "jam" is to "JAM"!!!!!

This may sound a bit strange, I listen to saxophone solos and transcribe them to guitar. Maybe it won't work for everyone, but it works for me.

[/quote']

Once I get my Vox Tonelab, I will start making more clean recordings (maybe post some on here :D ) And work on that. I am pretty busy right now with the school paper I am editor of, but I try to find time for guitar

I'm kind of hit and miss.

Sometimes I do something and think,"Where did that come from?"

Other times its pretty empty or misses the mark.

Usually on the ones that come up a bit short,if I take time with it and work on it,I can come up with something I am ok with,but I guess in that case its not really improvising in the moment

Once I get my Vox Tonelab' date=' I will start making more clean recordings (maybe post some on here :-k ) And work on that. I am pretty busy right now with the school paper I am editor of, but I try to find time for guitar

"I'm pretty busy right now (with my job) as editor of the school paper."

I can't improvise for ****!Anyone have any advice or information that could help me?

I'm going to open your mind to an entire new approach to improvising.

You need to follow through on it. Your confidence will soar. No longer will you say' date=' "I can't improvise for ****."

You need to find a copy of Wayne Krantz's, "An Improvisors OS."

Believe me, this will open up new ground in your improvisational skills. It's a great book. Unfortunately, it is temporarily sold out. Fortunately, it is only $20.00.

Here's Wayne's websight.

An Improvisors OS

I always have an idea in my head of the sound I want to produce.

I know each note I want to bring out and in which sequence. Because I don't know my scales I have NO idea where the fret/string is located' date=' so its a guessing game from location to location.

I would say because you already know your scales don't just pick up a guitar and start poking randomly. Think of the melody you want to hear....then produce it.

Just a thought.[/quote']

Here you go Izzy, and Fred;

http://www.jsguitarforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56336

Any questions, just ask. Thank me later.

McMurray' date='

nice link.[/quote']

No worries. If you need any clarification, just ask. I need to re-write that at some stage, there's a few other things I wanted to include such as exactly how to practice using that method, and sight reading standard notation using solfege.

btw the 12 positions are listed on page 4, it helps to break up the big pattern into manageable pieces.

Archived