Gibson Brands Forums

I feel dirty....but not too dirty.

ksdaddy

I stopped in Marden's after work. Marden's is a chain of surplus junk, overstock, fire damage, etc. Every area has them. Maine has Marden's. Sometimes there are bargains, sometimes not. I bought a new winter jacket for $12.99, then I wandered around a little. I rounded a corner and there was a half dozen First Acts. I got this for $45 with all the crappy accessories including a little amp that clips on your belt.

I felt like I had blown the family's Christmas money on a cheap lady for hire.

Then I tuned it up and played it a little. I can't believe how good this thing plays. Yeah, the fret ends need dressing, but other than that it's fine. I haven't plugged it in yet. Not expecting a lot but it may surprise me.

Just doesn't make any freakin' sense.

rrtqfd.jpg

But with the right set up

That's the scary part. The nut slots are trimmed right down nicely, the action is dead flat with no buzzes..... I'm sure the intonation is wacky because all the saddles are lined up in a straight row.

Luck of the draw maybe. They had about 4 or 5 black ones at $89, which is almost Walmart price, plus two sorta-Daphne Blue ones. The other had a serious scuff and it almost looked like a neck pocket crack, so by default I took this one.

I'm a fussy SOB and I don't see much to do on this one. The electronics may be trash, haven't tried it yet.

Jimmy Paige used "Dan Electro DC-59" a cheap Montgomery Wards Guitar?

In the 1960's wasn't that the equivalent to a "First Act" of 2009?

It's a mental thing I suppose, the more money you put into something you expect it to be good. But sometimes when you don't think about it all that much, it turns out to be not half bad.

The only bass I own is a First Act, I got it used for $45.

I could swear the body is made of fruit cake and the maple neck is the softest maple I have even seen, the tuners don't hold real well but overall for the price it sounds good and after adjusting just about everything on it it plays fairly well. I would say the sustain is horrible but it does not have any...

I stopped in Marden's after work. Marden's is a chain of surplus junk' date=' overstock, fire damage, etc. Every area has them. Maine has Marden's. Sometimes there are bargains, sometimes not. I bought a new winter jacket for $12.99, then I wandered around a little. I rounded a corner and there was a half dozen First Acts. I got this for $45 with all the crappy accessories including a little amp that clips on your belt.

I felt like I had blown the family's Christmas money on a cheap lady for hire.

Then I tuned it up and played it a little. I can't believe how good this thing plays. Yeah, the fret ends need dressing, but other than that it's fine. I haven't plugged it in yet. Not expecting a lot but it may surprise me.

Just doesn't make any freakin' sense.

[img']http://i47.tinypic.com/rrtqfd.jpg[/img]

I'm usually pretty frugal when it comes to money, but when it comes to guitars/instruments and cars, I'm like a little 10 year old with itchy pockets.[thumbup]

If I go to a car dealer without my wife, I'm coming home with a new car..... same thing if I go into a music store[blush]

People talk a lot of trash about 1st Act guitars. I bought a LP Jr. copy for $20 and it plays killer! In spite of the HB it sounds like a Fender though, even after I put a spare Gibson HB in. Maybe it's the fender-style trem bridge. Mine is a really good surf guitar (or it's good for anything you want to sound quacky) & a dead solid player. my only complaint is the tuners, and they aren't even really so bad if you wind the strings properly. Yours looks brutal with the surfy turquoise/white pg/white speed knobs combo... I'm jealous!

The only bass I own is a First Act' date=' I got it used for $45.

[b']I could swear the body is made of fruit cake and the maple neck is the softest maple I have even seen[/b], the tuners don't hold real well but overall for the price it sounds good and after adjusting just about everything on it it plays fairly well. I would say the sustain is horrible but it does not have any...

Probably Acer saccarum Sugar / Water / Soft Maple, among other names, or an Indonesian equivalent. It grows fast with profuse suckers. Only slightly less annoying to landscapers than a poplar tree. Usually fast growing trees are softer than slower growing trees.

Archived