Gibson Brands Forums

good acoustic?

Silenced Fred

I searched for about a year, then I finally came across a Fender GDS 500e. An all solid wood dreadnought that was on clearance for about $320.

I was all ready to put about $500-$600 on a Guild, Epi Masterbilt, or somethig like that. I had no intention of getting a fender Acoustic, and believe me, the one I got is not "normal" for a fender acoustic. But you may be on a quest for some time until you come across the one you want, and it just might not be what you were looking for at all.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ibanez A/E are pretty much good for A only as the preamps are crap. I had one once. Great acoustic. lousy A/E. It crapped out after 2 years. I only paid $350 and I was not willing to pay $160 for a new preamp on a $350 guitar. I sold it. I'm holding out for a good Taylor or Breedlove. Sometimes you need to bite the bullet and spend a little extra. It will cost less in the long run.

Again, I highly recommend the Korean made Breedloves.

Lots of good choices here. Can you wait until you at least double you money? There are certainly some good ones out there for $500. But I think for around $1,000 to $1,200 you'd be getting a top notch one. I choose a Taylor 310CE because it fit all of my needs well and didn't break the bank. Even though many of the brands listed here are of good quality, I think one thing that Taylor does better than others is their Expression System for the electronics. Once I plugged it into an amp, the choice was easy for me.

Lots of good choices here. Can you wait until you at least double you money? There are certainly some good ones out there for $500. But I think for around $1' date='000 to $1,200 you'd be getting a top notch one. I choose a Taylor 310CE because it fit all of my needs well and didn't break the bank. Even though many of the brands listed here are of good quality, I think one thing that Taylor does better than others is their Expression System for the electronics. Once I plugged it into an amp, the choice was easy for me.[/quote']

That's what I'm hoping for, if the cost is reasonable, I will get it repaired then hold out for a better guitar. I played a Martin I really liked as well as a Taylor, I forget the models, but they were sweet and under 1000

2301236600100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

Some things don't heal with time [thumbup]

My FR-50 Resonator. The first year they came out' date=' pretty much the first affordable Resonator that was worth buying. Before the Epi Biscuit (I'm pretty sure).[/quote']

Look how high the action is!!

Nathan, you should save another 500 if you can, and buy a Gibby, but it would be a Canadian Gibby, not american....

You could buy used

Look how high the action is!!

Nathan' date=' you should save another 500 if you can, and buy a Gibby, but it would be a Canadian Gibby, not american....

You could buy used[/quote']

I have played Gibson Acoustics, and I may blaspheme so strike me as you will, but I didn't care for it that much. I much preferred a Martin or a Taylor.

I like Martin the most for acoustics.

I like Gibson acoustics but it seems like most of the ones I play lack that special something. They're usually fine guitars but the just don't blow my mind.

I've played dozens of mind-blowing Martins. Only a few mind-blowing Gibsons.

Sorry guys. I know the gems are out there and at large at that but I just prefer Martin.

Nothing beats a good Gibson electric in my books though.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Alvarez since I know there are some people out there (besides me) who have them. Great guitars for the money. You should be able to find some of the "Professional" series guitars in that price range with all solid tops and backs (as opposed to laminate on some others in your price range). The "Artist" series models (next price range cheaper) are pretty nice too.

http://alvarezgtr.com/products.php

I have a Guild Jumbo that I love but when i was looking I was surprised how well made and good some $300 acoustic guitars sounded. At the time I looked at Martin and Taylor but the Guild was a better deal.

Parkwood guitars are really well made and are reasonably priced.

I'm not into needing a new acoustic at this point in time but an excellent point has been made: There are some incredibly nice instruments out there for $100 - 500 in comparison to even the same dollars in 1963 when I got my first guitar.

Frankly I think a $200 instrument today is as good as the same $200 would buy in '63-65, and figure the inflation.

The "imports" certainly have improved in quality; the North American instruments remain exceptional instruments. If you have the cash, it's a good time to buy regardless of the kind of neck, the kind of sound, the brand name and "look" of a guitar one wants.

m

I'm going to head out to a Guitar Center just to play some and figure out what I want. I think what I'm going to do, per my teacher's instructions, get some heavy *** strings, so the neck will straighten out on its own, and either try to trade it in, as is, but I probably won't get any money for it, or more likely, just leave it as a Slide guitar with a high action.

Thanks everybody

I think acoustics are even more personal than electrics, if that's possible....

I have a Martin/Taylor dealer within 30 minutes from here, and played them all and didn't gel....

My Gibson J45 RW (ebony board/bridge) was love at first sound/touch......

It's all up to you, my friend.

Best of luck.

Archived