Gibson Brands Forums

Insolent Attitudes on the Forum

rocketman

Is there realy that much drama here? I come here everyday and I just don't see it.

It all must happen after my bedtime' date=' OR ITS ME!![/quote']

There really isnt that much drama at all, and the complaints about other members have gone down considerably. At one point I had a few members (that I'll leave unnamed) PMing to discipline this member, suspend that member, telling me I suck because I won't ban certain members they wanted banned.... blah blah blah[blink]

Yes we have lost some core members, but there will be others that will make up for those losses. And really the door is open for them to return, and truth be told they'll eventually come back.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been on a few forums where there are just topic threads you avoid, thanks to lurkers and trolls there waiting for the littlest thing to flip out on. This place seems pretty relaxed though, probably thanks to the fact that musicians populate it.

If you guys want a laugh about forums though, I recommend going to the xbox live forum for banned accounts and reading the posts there; instant classics. Parents defending their kids stupid behaviour or foul language, people arguing they should be allowed to make fun of any minority they want because (insert any comedian here) said or did it. It is absoluetly hilarious.

C'mon guys. We're all grown-ups around here (and I do include the teenagers - since they join the forum they must accept the responsibility in the behaviour that comes with it). There are some jerks, some funny guys, some guys who think they're funny, some guys worth taking seriously, some not. Just like the real world! I don't really see the point in banning anyone. We can all choose the ones we like to share some thoughts / ideas / knowledge with and those that we don't want to. I don't see the reason compaining. We have to learn to live with one another and co-exist, in this forum and outside of it.

Heck, I work with a bunch of d!ckheads and I have learned when to ignore, fight or simply put up with them. I don't anticipate things to get any better...

And, as far as the forum relationships go, I try to make it clear when I use some humour in order not to offend anyone. And I don't get easily offended either...

(ok, I admit that sometimes jumping into a cat-fight with a jerk is a little tempting... Especially when I have learned their proper / inproper ''buttons'' to push...)

I'm confused over this whole thread. Why don't you just say what you mean about who you are talking about instead of talking around the subject.

You make a very good point, things have been a lot calmer recently. So I don't think the offending folks really know...

Whenever it appears I've offended someone by certain anecdotes or provable truths - I've had a few posts removed - I go back to reading a bit of Plato's dialogs such as those having to do with how one knows truth.

If one believes the Plato wrote of it (Xenophon's little bit of similar discussion doesn't get that exacting), Socrates was at times truly a gadfly to the mental states of some folks with whom he talked over supper.

So... I remembered that whenever things got a bit odd around here.

On the other hand, I try not to forget that it was a majority who determined old Soc should be "banned." <grin>

Then he was so ornery that although he could have left at least for only a time, he pretty well self immolated.

Hmmmmm.

Yeah, things have been a lot more calm.

The good is that there are some great folks here and it's great to hear about different perspectives on everything from string gauge and brand to pickups and amps.

The bad is - much as I'm a pretty visual person as a photojournalist of some 45 years - I wonder if the pix and more direct FLV links aren't a big weakness for the forum software...

m

Shred...

I dunno how it's working exactly, but there is more bandwidth involved at least when a thread is opened if there are a lotta those links...

It may not be "stored" that way, but there's gotta be a lot more stress on a server/software with lotsza links... unless it's hooked up so the reference ignores the forum software and brings up the links locally...

I dunno how the software works... but I know text puts a lot less overhead on almost anything else...

(I also know getting visual/audio stuff to work at a software level and teaching others how to teach others to do so is how my baby bro keeps eating.)

m

MiloD-

Kind of oversimplified, but:

Your computer contacts the server that hosts the Forum; when you ask to view a particular thread, your pc sends a request for that information to the Forum server. The forum server will store the thread info and all the replies and avatars, but as we do not actually upload pictures to the Forum server (other than avatars), it will not provide any of that data. Instead, it tells your pc that there is a picture (or video) associated with this post, and your pc needs to go get it. It will then provide your pc with the URL to the site where the picture (or video) is. Your pc then sends a request to that server for the picture, and downloads it for you to view. Or, in the case of video these days, "streams" it to your pc.

You are correct in that there is additional bandwidth being consumed, but it is not from the Forum server, it's all locally for your pc. The issue you're having is really because your pc is being told about ALL the pictures on the current page, and you are bound by whatever bandwidth those servers can provide you as well as your own ISP.

I hope this helps you find a peace, as I see this recurring as an issue for you... and feel your low-bandwidth pain.

Actually I have plenty of bandwidth - just this particular machine has to go to Mars, then Titan, then Venus, then Uranus, bounce off six or eight asteroids, then the moon and back to earth. At home it's much faster/better. <grin> Yeah, sometimes I think that cuts bandwidth pretty nastily. But I have friends who only do have dialup. Argh.

m

Archived