Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop VOS Guitars

STLBlues

I actually played a couple R8s last week and I wasn't very impressed (just a little). I actually was looking at them to replace my ex-lester as I recently came upon 5K I wasn't expecting [cool] but none of them spoke to me. They felt like normal USA gibsons IMO.

I guess as with all brands and models you have to play as many as you can find so you end up with a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkPJ579M_gU

So is the price of a brand new R9 justified?

Guess that's up to you' date=' eh?

It's not for me. My guitars are tools and earn their living in clubs. I have no desire to buy one to put in a glass case, and I don't worry about scratches and normal wear and tear.

An R8 maybe........

[biggrin

The SG's are beveled and scarfed more like (Identical to?) the original's '61-64 versions,

which some like (me included). However...the finish on the VOS SG's seem more a faded

version (color wise) than the original's darker (less orangish) color would have been, new!

I suppose that's supposed to evoke a well cared for, "vintage" instrument, feel/look.

I've said it before, and will say it again...the VOS instruments are what the "normal"

line should be, spec's and construction, anyway. Custom Shop models, and pricing, should

be for "limited run," or "one of a kind," instruments. NOT...to make LP's, SG's and ES-335's

etc., the way they SHOULD be made, in the first place! But...that's just MY feeling/opinion. :>b

CB

The SG's are beveled and scarfed more like (Identical to?) the original's '61-64 versions' date='

which some like (me included). However...the finish on the VOS SG's seem more a faded

version (color wise) than the original's darker (less orangish) color would have been, new!

I suppose that's supposed to evoke a well cared for, "vintage" instrument, feel/look.

I've said it before, and will say it again...the VOS instruments are what the "normal"

line should be, spec's and construction, anyway. Custom Shop models, and pricing, should

be for "limited run," or "one of a kind," instruments. NOT...to make LP's, SG's and ES-335's

etc., the way they SHOULD be made, in the first place! But...that's just MY feeling/opinion. :>b

CB[/quote']

Exactly. Is Gibson saying the non VOS's I own are inferior products?

If I told my customers....I will do a better job if you if you pay me more money...

I would be out of business.

Your either a hard worker/ good instrument or your not.

So to anyone here who owns one, do you acually go out and gig with them or do they just stay in the case nice and safe? I would be scared to death about going out and dinging or scratching an instrument that cost me almost 6 grand but that's just me.

Yeah, guitars are made to be played! Having said that, I don't "gig" my Gibson "Lucille" (or, haven't yet),

because...if some drunk, stumbles into the band (we play mostly bars and small clubs), and knocks over

my (Korean) Epiphone Riviera...I'd be pissed, as Hell, as it's a great guitar, on it's own...BUT, it wouldn't

take 3+ Grand, to replace it! I do gig all my other Gibby's, however. But, I'm one who "babies" his guitars,

probably too much(?). They are "just tools," in some ways, but lovely ones, at that! I don't mind honest

wear, but unneeded and/or stupid "battle scars," I do my best, to avoid. When I wear a belt, for example,

I pull the buckle toward the side, while I'm playing, to avoid the dreaded "buckle rash!" And, I keep them wiped

down, and cleaned up/polished, when not in use. To me, that's just "standard maintenance." Consequently,

I have 30 year old, and older, guitars that still look like NOS. But, they DO get played, and quite a lot.

But, whatever "Floats Your Boat," is ok, too. ;>)

CB

So to anyone here who owns one' date=' do you acually go out and gig with them or do they just stay in the case nice and safe? I would be scared to death about going out and dinging or scratching an instrument that cost me almost 6 grand but that's just me.[/quote']

i own an R8 and an R9. i play both a lot- at home and occasionally with a band. my R9 is has a lot of scratches and dings, as well as some serious buckle rash.

Glass case?

Pfffftttt!!!!

Mine are inside wood cases!

4389174445_8a5673618d.jpg

I don't own an R9, but I do have some nice, fairly expensive guitars - one from the Custom Shop.

They go to gigs once in awhile, but the nicer pricey stuff stays home for the most part.

I take my Fenders to gigs....

:D/

Okay, so let me see if I understand this correctly....

We're using for consideration a VOS guitar (fxcked up finish from the factory) and worrying about gig damage?

[blink]

If you want the best that Gibson has to offer and money is no object....you buy historic.

Tim turned me onto this a few years back and its true. I had a Gibson USA and I loved it....

Then, I got curious about historics. Once I tried one I had to have one. Soon, I got rid of my USA.

Again, theres nothing wrong with USA Gibbys, but I like the sound, feel, look and Mojo of a VOS much better.

The VOS's werent perfect (mines a 2007)...I changed the pots and caps, but now that thats done I have

in my opinion my dream guitar.

Where does this glass case BS come from? Sounds like typical crap from people who haven't even touched one.

I'm pretty sure that "glass case BS" comes from Gibson.

For example' date=' the Les Paul 50th Anniversary Corvette, the Indian Les Paul, the Gary Rossington Signature Les Paul and the Duane Allman Signature model all came with a glass wall case suitable for home or office use. [thumbup

I agree with CB, after getting 1 CS guitar , i know ,that is the way Gibson should be making the USA line. and now I only look at CS guitars. they are nice. My R0 is a VOS and it was easy to buff up and now looks great.

Archived