Gibson Brands Forums

Signature Guitars

STLBlues

The better question here is why ALL guitars companies do the same, if something I think Gibson lags on the number of signature guitars they offer and have offered in the past.

Look at PRS, Fender, Ibanez, Gretsch and Martin these last 2 are the main offenders (have you seen the number of sig models hey offer?)

Signature guitars have a market I assure you, as much as so-called "purists" hate them.

A reversed snobbery question would be: would you NOT buy a great guitar with all the specs you want simply because it is a signature guitar?

For instance if I ever wanted a PRS I would get the Santana model, I like the body and headstock shapes better, I am not a Santana fanboy but the guy helped design a great guitar IMO. me likes.

A reversed snobbery question would be: would you NOT buy a great guitar with all the specs you want simply because it is a signature guitar?

I bought my Ibanez John Petrucci sig guitar because it was simply the best shedding machine I had ever played. Unfortunately it is so incredibly ugly that I never once could bring myself to play it on stage. That' date=' and playing such an easily recognised sig guitar on stage can be pretty embarrassing in the [i']"Haha, look! That loser thinks he is John Petrucci [point and laugh]"[/i] kind of way.

And I never even really liked Dream Theater that much. After Awake I stopped listening completely. [biggrin]

The better question here is why ALL guitars companies do the same' date=' if something I think Gibson lags on the number of signature guitars they offer and have offered in the past.

Look at PRS, Fender, Ibanez, Gretsch and Martin these last 2 are the main offenders (have you seen the number of sig models hey offer?)

Signature guitars have a market I assure you, as much as so-called "purists" hate them.

For instance if I ever wanted a PRS I would get the Santana model, I like the body and headstock shapes better, I am not a Santana fanboy but the guy helped design a great guitar IMO. me likes.[/quote']

+1 [biggrin]

2006 Les Paul Std

2005 J-45 MC

signature guitars are for posers, Stds are for players

Make your own signature with pedal board,amp and tone and volume controls-not to mention strings and pickups

Why would I pay double,triple and more for any other signature than Lesters?

2006 Les Paul Std

2005 J-45 MC

signature guitars are for posers' date=' Stds are for players

Make your own signature with pedal board,amp and tone and volume controls-not to mention strings and pickups

Why would I pay double,triple and more for any other signature than Lesters?[/quote']

Les Pauls are signature guitars, that makes you and me posers.

There's nothing "wrong" with signature models in my opinion. Yes I think they're overpriced and I dont really feel the urge to buy one. If someone buys one that's all good, if it plays nice and sounds good then thats great! They make them to make a profit, people will buy them. There is a market (a rather large one at that) but they arent for me and many others.

A lot of people frown on them, and I get that too. What're you gonna do about it though? <shrug>

If you like the artist enough to deal out a little more cash for a certain special feature, thats more than ok, its your choice.

<shrug> They're not for me but they are for some.

Most every brand makes them and they arent going away any time soon.

That being said if I found one that payed and sounded out of this world I wouldnt even care too much about the extra $. I'd pay the extra $ for sound and playability, not a name. Once played a Buddy Guy strat that I was completley gaga over. Coulda bought it in a second if I had the moola.

you get that? [biggrin]

I'm a HUGE Jimmy Page fan.

Coulda bought his first sig 15 years ago - wasn't worth the money to me.

The recent ones were pretty cool, I almost did it but I can't stand the sh!tty "VOS" finish.

Same goes for his double neck.

I LOVE my Custom Shop EDS-1275 for 1/3 the money, and it doesn't look like sh!t.

Angus Young SG?

Overpriced as hell, no matter how much I love the guy's playing.

Got myself a nice SG 61 with a Maestro, does anything Angus-ish I would ever want to do.

All the signatures are nice, but I doubt I'll ever own one.

It occurred to me a couple years ago - what would a Billy Gibbons signature look like?

I mean, it's simply a 1959 Les Paul.

If they did a historically correct 1959 reissue very close to his, that would be cool.

Lo & behold, Gibson introduces one and it's priced higher than some fxcking CARS!

And it ain't very shiny.

Sorry.

I vote with my wallet.

Now, if they would do a '59 with a Bigsby - say like Randy Bachman or Keith Richards....

Gotta be a GLOSS finish like a NEW guitar should have, with mirror-shiny hardware.

And priced well back down into four digits.

THEN maybe I'll consider it.

Until then, I'll keep buying what I buy.

[biggrin]

I don't get sigs, wouldn't buy one, I'd feel like I looked like a wannabe or something.

I don't think of the Les Paul as a sig, he built it as a product to sell, then (constantly) modded the ones he played.

To each his/her own though......

Not a problem for me guess I'm not a purist but i'll survive somehow. I own several and I think some of the best guitars out there with some of the coolest options are signatures. I buy guitars that have a sound and a feature or look I like, signature or not I don't really care especially since 99.9% of the people in the world don't even know or recognize either of my signature models as a signature guitar. I bought the Warren Haynes model because it was a 58 reissue with all the options I like on a guitar (also it is the best sounding LP I've ever owned or played and that really does mean something when I say it, since I've owned a few over the years and have a few extra guitars laying around). The WH model is only identified by the serial number and the signed certificate of authenticity, mine also came with a signed photo 8x10 and a extra autographed pick-guard because it was used in a photo shoot. the case candy is all in a drawer in the music room the guitar is my #1.

Also have a Billy Joe Armstrong model which I bought because I wanted a White Junior but I wanted the gloss body and a ebony board and that means a Billy Joe Armstrong or a rosewood fretboard in white. Honestly don't even remember what if anything it came with. I'm not really a fan of his at all so don't care about his signature or the COA if it even has one (I think American Idiot was a great album though) I wanted the guitar and I play and abuse this guitar on a regular basis. It did come with a god awful case that has a leopard skin print inside and some kind of logo on the outside that probably means something to a fan it's a red logo of somebody getting struck by lightning or electrocuted. I hated the case originally but it kind of grows on you after a while now I like the leopard skin interior a little more. The guitar is amazing and gorgeous there is a signature on the back of the headstock I could live without but I'd rather have the ebony and the signature than a regular junior.

Also have a Brian Setzer Model Gretsch - what's to say great guitar and as close as you can get to a new 1959 model without a time machine - amazing sounding guitar and very cool looking even though it's green. Never owned a green guitar and probably never will again went looking for the orange one put when they pulled this one down off the wall at Bizarre and I plugged it in there was no way it was going back onto the wall. It is the most obvious signature I own signed pickguard, signed truss rod cover and dice for volume and tone knobs.

Warren Haynes

IMG_1782.jpg

Billy Joe Armstrong

IMG_0020.jpg

Brian Setzer

IMG_0388.jpg

There's nothing "wrong" with signature models in my opinion. Yes I think they're overpriced and I dont really feel the urge to buy one. If someone buys one that's all good' date=' if it plays nice and sounds good then thats great! They make them to make a profit, people will buy them. There is a market (a rather large one at that) but they arent for me and many others.

A lot of people frown on them, and I get that too. What're you gonna do about it though? <shrug>

If you like the artist enough to deal out a little more cash for a certain special feature, thats more than ok, its your choice.

<shrug> They're not for me but they are for some.

Most every brand makes them and they arent going away any time soon.

That being said if I found one that payed and sounded out of this world I wouldnt even care too much about the extra $. I'd pay the extra $ for sound and playability, not a name. Once played a Buddy Guy strat that I was completley gaga over. Coulda bought it in a second if I had the moola.

you get that? [blink

I'm not gonna lie, normally I don't care for the things you post DAS, but I am gonna agree with you 100% on this one. Yes, I could mod a guitar the way I want it, but if sig exists and has what I want, then that just saves me the work. As long as it is not redikulously expensive.

For the record, I'd get a PGM cuz I love Paul Gilbert. I'm sure it plays great since it's MIJ.

Neo, kudos on the "Nuge" [thumbup]

I'm not gonna lie' date=' normally I don't care for the things you post DAS, but I am gonna agree with you 100% on this one. Yes, I could mod a guitar the way I want it, but if sig exists and has what I want, then that just saves me the work. As long as it is not redikulously expensive.

For the record, I'd get a PGM cuz I love Paul Gilbert. I'm sure it plays great since it's MIJ.

Neo, kudos on the "Nuge" [thumbup

Man, i have no idea what the das kid is talking about. [blink]:-k

Archived