Gibson Brands Forums

Traveling with small children...

NeoConMan

As some of you may know, Mrs. Neo is a schoolteacher in central Phoenix - the 'hood to be precise.

With our proximity to the Mexican border, it's no surprise the number of 1st grade students who are

learning English as a second language - only when they attend school.

Parents are little more than phantoms for many of these kids, they won't show their face at school.

Usually issues involving their "residency" status....

Problem is, this leaves only 6 year old students to convey any required information regarding problems

with their grades and attendance - let alone their health or legal concerns - in an unfamiliar language.

The stories are unfathomable at times, and just when you think you've heard everything....

So, Spring Break was last week but some of the kids don't return as they should after vacation.

Finally, one little girl returned today with no note or any explanation.

One of the teachers asked her "Did you go to Mexico over Spring break?"

"Yeah" she smiled.

"You did a lot of traveling, so that's why you were late getting back to school?"

"Yeah, we came back from Mexico in a really big truck - and it was FULL of food!"

Smuggled back into the country at 6 years of age inside an 18-wheeler....

[blink]

I suppose it's not necessary in any way.

Just sharing a glimpse of my world when the wife comes home with The Look on her face.

It's not a race thing.

People of all stripes and flavors do incredibly stupid things to endanger their children.

Hits home when you actually KNOW those children and help in their rearing.

Nope' date=' but over Spring Break she was working at the Fender plant in Ensenada, Mexico...

[biggrin

Nice signature btw [biggrin]

As far as content goes, it isn't necessary, but neither is coming to this country illegally. I don't hate people because they come here illegally, but there are people that abuse the system.

I know tons of kids in my classes that will be gone for months at a time, turns out they went to Mexico and "couldn't get a ride back".

I'm not being 'racist' or discriminatory, but its the truth.

Just sharing a glimpse of my world when the wife comes home with The Look on her face.

It's not a race thing.

People of all stripes and flavors do incredibly stupid things to endanger their children.

Yeah, I'm not going to give you 'my plan' because I don't have a plan but it's pretty darn obvious we've got to make some changes somehow. That said, I don't pretend to know what to do but I do know that our present system is inadequate and, in some cases, dangerous.

Any time I see kids caught in the middle of a political situation they didn't have anything to do with it puts a knot in my stomach.

This debate always makes me think back to the South Park Episode with Les Boz or whatever the bar was called where they were making fun of 300, and they kept using the Mexicans hanging out around the car wash for work (writing their "essay" about the old man and the sea, or pretending to be Persian). At the end of the episode the mexicans are teacher geometry to the class and they end it with "these guys are pretty good, I think I'm actually learning something."

This post isn't offering any solution to the debate, but keep in mind that they're human beings too, many of which are intelligent and just trying to have a better living for themselves and their families.

Also if you make it manditory to pay illegal immigrants the same wage as legal americans doesn't that take away the entire inscentive for companies to take the risk of hiring illegals in the first place?

With all due respect. If a teacher hears of a child being exposed to illegal activity like drugs, violence or the sex trades, the teacher... or other person providing child care, have a fiduciary, moral and legal responsibility to report it to the authorities. Why not smuggling of illegal aliens?

Or... is this not P.C.?

I'm not picking on Mrs. NeoCon, you've explained her administrations stance on illegals, and I suspect she'd be vilified or worse if she reported this child's exposure and participation in this illegal activity... It's just the selectiveness of enforcing laws by some people that get my goat.

On the flip side' date=' there are some that came to the US illegally and do make an honest living and truely love this country.

"Just sayin..."[/quote']

Back to the "A" side. So do legal residents and citizens of this country who are out of work.

btw, if they are here illegally, they are not making an "honest" living.

T...

Also if you make it manditory to pay illegal immigrants the same wage as legal americans doesn't that take away the entire inscentive for companies to take the risk of hiring illegals in the first place?

It is already mandatory. It's called Minimum Wage law. When they hire illegals' date=' they are off the books and enforcing it is tough. My SIL and daughter run a landscape company. They have to compete against other companies who hire illegals for ... whatever wage they can get by with. How fair is that?

Business is good, especially when the customers find out that they can talk to the landscaper, the one actually cutting the grass and pulling weeds, in a common language. "Oh,.. YOU do the work. that's refreshing, I can discuss my yard with you." Currently, it's a mom and pop operation. They'd like to hire a couple employees. However, to do it legally would cause their cost of operations to baloon to where they wouldn't be price competitive.

The funniest... or saddest thing I heard was a co-worker of my wife's is a former illegal. She had a couple babies in the US and got 'forgiveness' and given citizenship. She, from time to time, harbors recent arrivals. She was so tickled a couple of the boys in her home finally found construction work and could help with the grocery bill. They worked for 9 days. On day 9 the boss said, "I will be doing payroll tomorrow. Bring your Social Security cards with you tomorrow so I can pay you." As they didn't have a Social Security card, he boys didn't show up on day 10.... Now... :-k who is scamming who? [blink How can an honest contractor compete with zero wages? [thumbup]

I can't figure out how you decide who to love and who to hate. How can you hate all Mexicans if you love this little girl? I think the only reason you love this little girl is that she has Mexican parents who you can hate. You might do better to think about your own childhood and parents and try to figure out why you hate so many people and what you might be able to do to channel your intellectual energy into a more productive endeavor instead of constantly polluting this bulleting board.

I wonder whether you hate more people than hate you?

Why don't you go onto a Xenophobe bulletin board and ply your gibberish over there. But then again, you seem to enjoy insulting peoples' sensibilities, and you get the attention you crave here, so we'll be seeing you around.

Have a hateful day.

I agree if it was easy to enforce it wouldn't be a problem, maybe just stiffer penalties imposed on coporations who gross over a certain amount each year? That way the little guy isn't destroyed and it sets precedence? Again I don't know, in the US does minimum wage law actually apply to illegal immigrants?

Working multiple jobs' date=' spending money, getting green cards, learning Engish, trying to get citizenship.[/quote']

Ahh... getting the green card... not that makes it legal. I'm not talking about those honest people.

I agree if it was easy to enforce it wouldn't be a problem' date=' maybe just stiffer penalties imposed on coporations who gross over a certain amount each year? That way the little guy isn't destroyed and it sets precedence? Again I don't know, in the US does minimum wage law actually apply to illegal immigrants?[/quote']

It applies, but for an illegal to get his boss to pony up an honest wage, they risk exposing their illegalness. And it ain't the Big corporations who are the problem. It's the small and medium time contractor and mom and pop shops. THOSE are the ones we need to enforce. THOSE are the ones most likely to toe the line on personnel issues when they know the laws in this regard are being enforced. Why? They have the most to lose. Maybe not dollar wise, but those are the ones most likely to lose their home and or go to jail.

Here in the States this is a huge problem that needs to be addressed. You have people coming here illegally for understandable reasons. Hey, if my economic outlook was as bad as it is in some parts of Mexico and Central America I'd be coming to the States too. The problem is that you have a huge pool of under the radar citizens. They aren't documented, have little protections, they do not know the system, are are perfect for exploitation. It's an underground society which is bad in an open society like ours. They are also pawns in the race to the bottom where it seems some are trying to see just how little they can pay people. They keep saying that they are jobs Americans won't do. That is a lie. Americans will do those jobs, just not for the dirt wages illegal immigrants will do them for.

Here in Illinois the big news story is children who came here illegally when they we young, grew up in the States, and are now entering college. Although they are not technically American, they grew up here and have adopted our culture. Some of them are honor students that cannot go to University because they lack valid identification to get apply, get student loans, student aid, and/or grants.

So what do we do with the millions of illegal immigrants? Flush them out and send them all back to Mexico? Give them blanket amnesty? Open up an avenue to properly apply for US citizenship? I don't pretend to have all the answers, but this needs to be addressed. I will say that another blanket amnesty is very bad idea.

H...

So what do we do with the millions of illegal immigrants? Flush them out and send them all back to Mexico? Give them blanket amnesty? Open up an avenue to properly apply for US citizenship? I don't pretend to have all the answers' date=' but this needs to be addressed. I will say that another blanket amnesty is very bad idea.[/quote']

Yes, send them back. If Mommy and Daddy brought them here under cover of lettuce, then it's Mommy and Daddy's fault, not ours.

Amnesty? They already did that and we see how that worked out. It opened the flood gates as 'amnesty' is now assumed, expected and now demanded.

An avenue to properly apply? It's already in place, the illegals just don't want to do it. Citizens of a foreign country only need visit our US consulate in their home country to apply. For illegals, this is too hard, time consuming and / or they just don't wanna do it.

TommyK I'm behind you 100% send them back. I don't get why people

don't understand illegal alien means not legal to be here. Go to mexico

illegally and see where you end up. Other country are just laughing at us.

CW

It's not a race thing.

But it's our goverment's fault for just giving them education. They don't have to be a citizen or learn english.

I think this is a very complex problem with no really easy answers.

You can't have two countries next door with very different economies without problems. That was tried with various sorts of walls in Europe for half a century and long-term, it didn't work.

Mexico, OTOH, has the problem of wide disparity of economic castes that needs to be addressed, too - and in the U.S. and Canada, it's headed the same sorta direction. Long-term, lack of a "middle class" of people leading comfortable lives doing what people "normally" do will create major problems. We've seen that over and over throughout history.

I also think some folks make a deal out of "race" that ain't there. The "rule" where I live is pretty much, "if people move here who wanna be here and be part of the community, they will find good friends; if not, they tend to get ignored."

So... We've got folks here of pretty diverse backgrounds. If they wanna fit into local culture, they do. If they don't want to, they don't. Frankly there are more problems in general for city folks moving here than any racial/cultural identification because they often don't want to fit in, but want to change a rural community into something else until they can escape.

The problem elsewhere, as I see it, comes when people on many sides of a complex issue get hung up on the peripherals rather than considering essentials. Unfortunately this is another example where almost everybody feels like they're up to their navels in alligators, so it's hard to remember that they're there to drain the swamp.

m

Archived