Gibson Brands Forums

Im starting to think dimebag is overrated....

dem00n

When im bored sometimes i browse these "metal" forums and i find topics about him all the time.

Mostly Dimebag vs etc, but i keep seeing posts that he changed the world or he changed guitar playing.

Im sorry but...he was a ****ing great guitarist but i dont think he did those two.

I just dont understand how someone would think that? [biggrin]

I'm gonna sound like an ***, but here goes: When famous people die, they get put on a pedestal and get credited with a lot more than they should. I love Hendrix, but I do think he gets more credit than I sometimes think he deserves because he died at a young age. Same goes for Dimebag. Great guitarists but for me, are often overrated.

I'm gonna sound like an ***' date=' but here goes: When famous people die, they get put on a pedestal and get credited with a lot more than they should. I love Hendrix, but I do think he gets more credit than I sometimes think he deserves because he died at a young age. Same goes for Dimebag. Great guitarists but for me, are often overrated.[/quote']

True.

I dont really see this Chuck though. [biggrin]

Eh he wasnt really famous.

Well...i would say hendrix did effect the world, but that can be dissuced a other time.

I'm gonna sound like an ***' date=' but here goes: When famous people die, they get put on a pedestal and get credited with a lot more than they should. I love Hendrix, but I do think he gets more credit than I sometimes think he deserves because he died at a young age. Same goes for Dimebag. Great guitarists but for me, are often overrated.[/quote']

couldn't of said it better myself, the exception being for jeff healey [biggrin]

couldn't of said it better myself' date=' the exception being for jeff healey [cool']

I'm just saying, its what happens. Same thing happens with actors, especially with Heath Ledger.

And Dem00n- Hendrix did have an affect on music, and its transformation, but at times, he can be overrated. Its what happens

Dime was a good player, they have a devoted following.

But you're NEVER gonna hear Pantera or Damageplan in an elevator or doctor's office.

His appeal was limited to a fairly small fan base, while EVERYBODY has heard of Hendrix.

Anybody who doesn't care about the music or artists will still recognize Hendrix's name or a few of his songs.

Hendrix did indeed change the world - at least the music portion of it.

I'm not as big a Hendrix fan as maybe I should be, but I recognize his influence on music over 40 years.

What going to happen when Gary Moore passes? Will the same thing happen? But at least Dime has a guitar by Dean and so far Gibson hasn't tried to copy it. So I guess thats a good thing

like hendrix...dime was only around for a few years, so we can't realy compare dime to gary has he's been around for over 30 yrs.

and in answer to your question "what's going to happen when gary moore passes?"...it will be the saddest day of my life and i'll prob think about topping myself :P

i think you gotta die young to have this effect. I wonder if Randy Rhoads would be as revered, if he was not killed in that plane crash in '82...

a lot of it, i think, is speculation on what may have been.

this is true with bands too: I wonder what Zep would have become if they just replaced Bonzo with another drummer. instead, they are legendary.

as Neil Young said, "it's better to burn out than fade away."

just my opinion, not tryin' to offend anyone.

Don

I agree with most of what's been posted already and perhaps he is a little overrated but not totally. Dimebag was really an exceptional player, particularly in the metal arena.

On the surface, I disagree with TG; obviously Dimebag changed the world of guitar as he's influenced legions of other players. When you start to dig a little deeper into his playing, Dimebag was a lot more melodic and played with a groove and swagger that most other players do not possess. Take "Cowboys From Hell" for an example; while an aggressive heavy metal song, it has a lot of swing to it and the solo is well thought out and constructed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGhZ6mH7P-g

I agree with Nathan. It just happens...

Jim Morrison, for example...? Nice music, nice guy, but... If it wasn't for Manzarek... (just an example here).

See, here's one that I view differently.

Jim Morrison had charisma, a great stage presence.

And I'm NOT a fan of the doors, but he had that certain "it" that few singers had - like Elvis maybe?

Had he lived on, he may have just become another Gary Glitter weirdo, but he had it going until he died.

Manzarek's keyboards make me want to shoot my own damned radio - sounds like carnival music....

[cool]

is he overrated as a revolutionary? maybe, but he was an incredible guitarist, and an incredible person.

First video just shows the kind of fun loving energetic person he was, 2nd shows some of his skills.

When Pantera first came out I really liked them, there was something very different about their brand of metal.

However, even at the time, I thought they were the First Metal Band that had a comfortable landing spot thanks to the bands that came before them. Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Suicidal Tendencies, Slayer, Supultura, and the like built the fan base (the Tarmac, if you will) for them to sell to.

And metal was already Mainstream thanks to Metalica and Anthrax, especially that business with Public Enemy. Pantera may have helped Cement that brick in place, maybe, but they were too late for the big Breakthrough.

I never became a Pantera fan. To me they were that pretty cool band that were played at parties here and there. I was going other places for metal at that time, I guess. Still, Dime was a great player, and even though I wasn't a fan I turned cold when I turned the radio on as I was going to work and they said on the news that he had died. It felt... unfair, in lack of a better word.

Archived