Gibson Brands Forums

How much does your 335 weigh?

Riverside

I went looking today, and was stunned by the heft of the (only) one I found locally. I swear I have P-basses that weigh less than that one.

If they are all as heavy, I'm going to have to seriously re-evaluate the current GAS attack.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

My '09 335 is 8-1/2 pounds' date=' about a pound heavier than my LP (which is chambered). It's not too bad with a padded strap, which is what I usually use.[/quote']

I weighed my 1990 ES-347, which is a brick @9.6 pounds. I know its a discontinued guitar, but it is a great sounding guitar, despite the weight.

• 3 weeks later...

qblue, I'd love to play that "brick" ES-347...they are classy lookers for sure, and I think of them as something akin to LP Custom, so I expect them to have some mass.

My 1967 ES-335 is the lightest Gibson I've ever owned - around 7 1/2 pounds. It doesn't have quite the same sustain as most LPs do ('specially with that trapeze tail), but it sings as sweetly as I could ever want, and it can still growl mean enough for my needs. Best-sounding of the 10+ Gibbys I've ever had.

The modern Dots tend to be a little heavier than the vintage styled ones, but of course there's always variance so if weight's important you'll just have to shop around. From my experience there are also tonal differences between the two, so that could be a consideration as well...

My Dot is somewhere between 8 1/2-9 lbs, and my '63 Block Reissue is almost a pound lighter between 7 1/2-8 lbs (I really want to get a fishscale or something to know exactly). The two guitars sound nothing alike, with the Dot having a warm, thick tone and the Block having a brighter tone without nearly as much low end.

Both are great and I like having the contrasting 335 colors, personally.

• 9 years later...

I have an 02 Gibson ES 335 Dot reissue.  Over 9 pounds.  like 9.6 pounds. Had it weighed at GC.   I believe it was accurate    Although the kid weighing it seemed like an Extra from the Dazed and Confused movie

It is heavier than a 2006 Gibson es 335 For reissue I Had years ago and sold because the neck was too thin (Thinner than your average slim taper neck) but it sounded great.          I prefer the lighter ES 335.     My current ES 335 is too heavy at over 9 pounds.      The sound a playability are perfect 

Does anyone know the best way to get an accurate weight on your guitar  ? 

You can order a nice , accurate scale 

6 hours ago, Bisonhead said:

Does anyone know the best way to get an accurate weight on your guitar  ? 

I use this item. 

You can get one from Amazon for just under thirteen bucks. 

🙂

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Multifunction-Stainless-Batteries-Included/dp/B0113UZJE2/ref=asc_df_B0113UZJE2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167138605841&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12592446511262142611&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012699&hvtargid=pla-313185157826&psc=1

Maple can be pretty heavy.  335s are maple/poplar/maple sandwich so two layers of maple, plus the poplar and all the glue to hold them together and a maple center block.

I have a 356 (mahogany back, sides, center block) that weighs 5 1/2 pounds (smaller body than a 335 too).  Also have a L-5 which is solid maple with a spruce top (bigger body) and it weighs 8 1/2 pounds.

335s are iconic and many players love them, but I always found them a little uncomfortable to play (size and weight) and never really loved their tone that much either.  You might want to consider a 336 or a 339 for a smaller lighter body - although they sound different than a 335.