Gibson Brands Forums

Listen To What Krasi Hath Wrought!

Buc McMaster

Krasi sent me an email and said he was so inspired by my lyric, Helldorado, that he simply had to put it to music......and what a fine job he has done! I am impressed! Thank you, my friend from Bulgaria.......excellent work!!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTwZ1gCx0ME[/YOUTUBE]

Helldorado copyright 2009 MBB

Out on the streets of Helldorado, a Colt revolver in his hand,

There stands a lonesome desperado, there lays another in the sand.

The people peer through shuttered windows....silent witness, justice done.

The only law in Helldorado is the round end of a gun.

No one cried in Helldorado, no one even knew his name.

They stood 'round and watched him die though, judge and jury just the same.

When the sun comes up tomorrow, and they've laid him on Boot Hill,

If God won't come to Helldorado, it's for sure the Devil will.

If God won't come to Helldorado, heaven knows the Devil will.

WOW! I think we just witnessed a "Elton John & Bernie Taupin" moment!!

Buc & Krasi' date=' FABULOUS job!![/quote']

I must repeat.

WOW!

Almost exactly my thoughts.

Stunning results from such a long range collaboration. [confused]

Wow!! That is truly amazing talent, both of you. Buc, you definitely have a way with words, a writer for sure. And Krasi, you've captured the essence of the words so well with your music. That is just amazing! <hearty applause>

Yes, Krasi has really captured a feeling for the story--the desolation of the setting and the lonely death of the man in the dusty street. The minor chords and the growling bass notes capture the inevitability of the outcome and Krasi's strong vocal leaves no room for doubt.

Thank you both

This is the true beauty of collaboration and done in the modern net era continents apart.

Amazing..............:-

Thank you, You both have found something that is very good.

Great job and congrats to you both. I must echo the praise for Krasi's playing and singing of some wonderful lyrics.

Krasi, it looks like you have somehow capod only 5 strings and left the bottom E uncapod. How did you do that? Have you modified the capo?

I was wondering the same thing Krasi....

Are you playing in an alternate tuning at all? I have a "Cut" Shubb capo that covers all but the low E, b and e strings. It makes for a nice drone Esus almost DADGAD type flavor. It appears that only your low E is not capo'd though.

I have gone back and listened several times now and I love the Bass runs you do on Mr. Gibbs. The music combined with the compelling lyrics make this a hit in my book!

After all the praise I just say a big THANK YOU to Michael for this amazing text that literally embezzled my mind the first second I saw it posted here in the forum several days ago and the music just started to spring up from M-R GIBS.

Friday and saturday nights I woke up at night several times with the ideas what to change.

Here I must excuse that I recorded the song in this way. Matter of fact the song is unfinished, I don't know the lyrics by heart yet (well, I know the text but - I don't know how it is with all of you - me, when I make a new song it needs some time to settle down in my mind, in my hands, well it needs time), and there is much work to be finished on the guitar playing here. This will hapen may be after 2-3 months of playing and singing that.

The other excuse is for the very amateur way of the recording. When I saw what I posted in youtube I started to consider the purchase of some little mixer and a good studio mic...

In other words - excuse me that I showed you an unfinished product, but I could not wait to swank...

As about the capo - yes this is a Kyser open D capo. Matter of fact it is an open E capo.

The strings 1,2,3,4,5 are squeezed and the string 6 is free. And when I play D it is actually E. So the song is in Em.

Last 10 months I play half of the time with this capo. M-R GIBS loves this capo I tell you! + like that the string 6 is in tune when I play barres (not the way when you play the ordinary open D without capo)

Lately I start to consider to put harder strings - may be 13-56 and to tune the guitar 1,5 tones lower just for this way of playing. Like that the bass will be even more visceral....

I use a Kyser capo since 1993 and I am very accustomed to this form of capo.

I have another Kyser capo that squeezes the strings 2,3 and 4 and when placed on second position this gives you the A chord without pressing any string. I still don't play with this other capo - I still have no satiation of the open E capo ;-).

Shubb - I have no Shubb capo not that I don't like it, but as you know I live in Bulgaria where there is no a big tradition of playing acoustic guitar and acsessories are not much available. The Kysers - I purchased from e-bey. May be I will buy some Shubb capos too.

Krasi, thanks for the info. I had never realised you could get an open D (that's E) capo. It's genius. I've seen classical players cover 4 or 5 strings when playing but not the way you have. I suppose you could call it drop E tuning but without the need to retune any strings?

It suits Em perfectly and is made for the fabulous sound you get from Mr Gibs.

Great job, both you and Buc. A real treat for us fans!

With your permission chaps, I would like to cover it.

Off to buy another Kyser and a sharp knife!

I suppose you could call it drop E tuning but without the need to retune any strings?

Here is the Kyser Drop "D" capo I use for Helldorado:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KYSER-QUICK-CHANGE-DROP-D-CAPO-6-STRING-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ270555175741QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item3efe585b3d#ht_1278wt_939

Here is the another Kyser drop D with a lever:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KYSER-K-LEVER-SHORTCUT-DOUBLE-DROP-D-PARTIAL-CAPO-r_W0QQitemZ370356414279QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item563af66747#ht_600wt_939

Mater of fact the ordinary Kyser capo can be used in 3 different ways and sometimes I do it (when I forget to take the "drop D" capo):

1. As an ordinary capo.

2. As a "drop D" capo when I turn it on the other way (from below to the neck) and squeeze only the 1' date='2,3,4,5 strings without squeezing the 6-th string.

3. As an "open A" capo when i use it in an absolute reverse way - from below to the neck and + that, turned upside down so the rubber surface that normally squeezes the strings is below the neck and the silicon part that has to be below the neck is on the strings - this silicon part covers just the strings 2,3,4 and the strings 1,5 and 6 stay unsqeezed. This is the open A tuning.

Here is the Shubb open A capo (I could not find now the Kyser on e-bay, but it exists)

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHUBB-C7b-Partial-Guitar-Capo-DADGAD-Open-A-Tuning_W0QQitemZ220444982708QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item33538b7db4#ht_500wt_956

Those things are very interesting to me because the guitar is tunned the ordinary way - EBGDAE and you just put for a second something on the neck, and it changes the whole picture...

That tune on M-R GIBS with the drop D Kyser capo challenged me to make several very good songs. Really the SJ 200 sounds veeeery good in that tune, the bass is even more incredible and I tell you guys - this open E tune produces very "american cowboy Texas" songs [biggrin[crying] [crying]

Like I told you before I still did not start to study the open A capo. I plan to do it after a month when I will receive an "extraordinary" slide ring that I ordered from Shubb:

http://www.shubb.com/axys/index.htm

I can't play slide with a ring so I will use the open A capo to start using the slide, because this will make the picture of a song even "more american" #-o #-o #-o

And I like that!!!

And here are the Shubb partial capos:

http://www.shubb.com/partial/index.htm

Like I said before - I am habituated 18 years to Kyser, so Kysers are my best.

Some guitarists don't use capos, but I feel really happy to use those toys... And it works somehow.

How ever you tune or capo that guitar it sure works well! Thank you again for your work on this, Krasi. I am stunned at what you have done. And absolutely do give us the polished version when you get the song in your blood.

And albertjohn you certainly have my permission to cover this one! I am humbled that you all have taken to this song.....thank you!

And albertjohn you certainly have my permission to cover this one! I am humbled that you all have taken to this song.....thank you!

And of course you have my permission too.

But don't ask any permissions like I did [biggrin][bored]#-o #-o [biggrin] [biggrin]

Just play & sing it.

... And albertjohn you certainly have my permission to cover this one! I am humbled that you all have taken to this song.....thank you!

And of course you have my permission too. ...

Very generous Buc and Krasi.

This has been an amazing thread that I've thoroughly enjoyed.

Great lyrics' date=' great music, great performance, and great friendship. [biggrin

Mr.Gibs this is a vague question but how did you go about working out the music for that? Did you just have a general tune in your head that you worked out with your experience on the guitar or did you go through the syllable set up in the lyrics or some such definable method?

Archived