Gibson Brands Forums

Covers that were better than the original

MojoRedFoot

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of oldies but goodies; Billy Joe Shaver just got acquitted for shooting a man in the face. Dude even talked sh*t to a prospective juror during the selection process. Since it only took the jury about 2 hours to acquit I assume that person didn't make the cut.

Neo, I'm 32 and get the same blank looks and stupid grins when I try to engage people my age in most discussions about music. And forget about having ANY intelligent talk about the blues. I say 'SRV' and people think I'm talking about the new Honda Accord model. Actually had someone think I was referring to a mixed drink when I mentioned Muddy Waters to a buddy of mine. The lesson here is don't eavesdrop on someone elses conversation and then make yourself look like an *** because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Billy Joe Shaver just got acquitted for shooting a man in the face.

Wasn't in Texas' date=' was it...?

:-)

I say 'SRV' and people think I'm talking about the new Honda Accord model.

referring to a mixed drink when I mentioned Muddy Waters

I gotta remember those...

[smile]/

I hope you're joking. I really do.

lol! nah, i actually do like it better than the kinks version. Their other covers notwithstanding of course (dance the night away, you're no good, etc, etc.)

i guess being a very young kid at the time struck me a bit, and nostalgia is a factor here.

I thought Van Halen were sellout clowns when they remade Dancing In The Streets.

Still do.

The Jagger/Bowie version was so much better...

The video proves it;

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaZCZnmdmbA[/YOUTUBE]

the greatest music video ever produced! all the others were just followers after this...

I thought Van Halen were sellout clowns when they remade Dancing In The Streets.

Still do.

The Jagger/Bowie version was so much better...

The video proves it;

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaZCZnmdmbA[/YOUTUBE]

Both were covers of the original by Martha and the Vandellas, (with the greatest backup band in history, "The Funk Brothers") which is the best version of all.

Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe (The Leaves)

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I just assumed that was a Hendrix original...

Hmmm....

After Midnight- Clapton/JJ Cale

Never, ever liked that song until I heard the slower, heavier (beer commercial) remake in the eighties.

I thought Clapton and his band nailed that song then.

Till then, I didn't think it was possible for a remake to change my mind about a song I never liked.

Blue Suede Shoes - Elvis (no disrespect to Carl Perkins intended)

None taken' date=' but I disagree, in my opinion Carl's Version was rawer and less over produced than Elvis's. And yes, I was born before 1970 and know who Carl Perkins is, as well as Luther Perkins, Scotty Moore, W.S. Holland, all Rock n' Roll and Rockabilly pioneers[cool']

Not a cover strictly speaking, but, well...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjglB04TOno[/YOUTUBE]

They borrow a little bit from Raymond Scott's 1931 tune "Powerhouse." [lol]

I also liked their EP Feedback, where they cover some classic rock tunes, but I'd be hard-pressed to call the best ones on the album "better" than the originals.

Well..."Shapes of Things," maybe..."Mr. Soul," yeah, I think so. "Seven And Seven Is" is a tough call...If I said any more about the tracks on that EP I'd probably leave myself open to having my tastes questioned, so I'll just leave it at that.

None taken' date=' but I disagree, in my opinion Carl's Version was rawer and less over produced than Elvis's. And yes, I was born before 1970 and know who Carl Perkins is, as well as Luther Perkins, Scotty Moore, W.S. Holland, all Rock n' Roll and Rockabilly pioneers[cool']

great stuff!

i have a CD collection of early Sun records hits, and can listen over and over. I esp. like the cover of 'Mona Lisa' that Carl Mann did, also later redone in the same style by Brian Setzer.

OK, I'm going to go ahead and say it: in my head, to my ears, RUSH is a band that's very, very hard to beat. Geddy Lee's voice is (yes, seriously) one of my favorite voices in rock music--at least in my top three--and their arrangements are purposeful, interesting and uncluttered. Geddy Lee is an amazing bassist, Neil Peart is a fantastic drummer, and Alex Lifeson is an almost inhumanly-skilled guitarist.

Feedback consisted of eight songs, all covers by Rush. They're all great covers. I was rather familiar with all of the tunes that they covered before I heard the album. Yes, their version of "The Seeker" is my preferred one, as are their cuts of "Heart Full Of Soul," "For What It's Worth," "Mr. Soul" (although that's a tough call,) "Seven and Seven Is," and "Shapes Of Things." I can't decide on "Summertime Blues"--I like theirs, but I also like Blue Cheer's cover, I like The Who's cover, and I love Eddie Cochran's original.

"Crossroads"? Well...you simply can't top Robert Johnson on that one, but as for beating out Cream?

I just don't know. It's hard to say.

I just had to get that off of my chest. And yes, if Rush had done something I hated (as they did, on a few tracks, on Snakes and Arrows and Counterparts, for instance,) I would be willing to admit it. But I say that they have an exemplary track record.

Yes' date=' but this one has a positive twist. And it's not a poll. [i']And it's not about BH for Fred.[/i] And it's not Gibson bashing. And it's not about TV. Or stuffed animals.

[cool]

I wasn't that agains the guy... [lol]

Geez....

Back on topic, I would have to go with the song Hurt written by Nine Inch Nails, but Johnny Cash covered it and made it his. I posted it before, but NIN gave Cash the rights to the song because he no longer felt it was his own after hearing Cash play it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho[/YOUTUBE]

Archived