Gibson Brands Forums

Which brand of strings do you use?

Andre S

No doubt covered already, but I ran a quick search and did not see much relating to it.

I use Martin 4100 12 gauge and they sound great...but the initial shimmer like quality of the strings fade within the first 8 hours.

So what brand do you use?

Martin 4100 12s as well. The do lose their brilliance

pretty quickly though.

I can't stand it.

I put it on one night, played for 5 minutes. The next morning....strings completely gone.

They sound great and I would use them if I could afford to change them everyday.

I use D'Angelico bronze 80/20s. Medium or light. It takes about a month for them to settle down to my comfort zone- but then- I keep 'em on for at least a year. I've got a set on a Martin OM 18V for 4 years now - OK, they need to be changed- but the J45 has a two year set of lights that is fine.

I also like John Pearse wound Nickels for one guitar.

I've got a few different sets from other makers and want to try them out- just haven't needed to change strings for a while. [biggrin]

But the one thing I know for certain: I can't stand phosphor bronze!

OnElectrics:

6 strings: Ernie Ball. Mainly slinkys (10's) and one one guitar power slinkys (11's)

12 strings: D'Addario EXL 150's

On Acoustics:

6 strings: Mainly Ernie Ball Earthwood Bronze 80/20 Medium Light (12's) and on a couple of guitars Medium (13's)

Now and again D'Addario's

12 strings: Ernie Ball Earthwood Bronze Light gauge.

On Acoustic Mandolins:

D'Addario J62's

Elixir... the heavier web rather than the lighter version.

I must be the evil one... 10s on the steel string ea.

Mostly 9-42 on electrics, again mostly elixir - except 8-38 on the "board."

But figure also I'm very gently fingerpickin'.

There was a pretty heavy "go-round" on this up in the Lounge. It appears most of the wire for most strings comes outa one single Mapes factory... Hmmm.

m

D addario lights 80/20 for my guitar, D'addario mediums or no name brand mediums for my 5 string banjos, Martin Tenor banjo strings for my tenor, Martin 10-34 guage for my mandolins-(hey they are antique and can't take bluegrass mandolin tensioned strings!). And my no name banjo strings for my mt. dulcimer. Now that just leaves the autoharp and there is only 2 companies that still make strings for autoharps.

I use these: Newtone Double-Wound Round-Core Phosphor-Bronze, medium gauge. I like them so much that if I were famous, I'd be a celebrity sponsor in a heartbeat! [biggrin]

I need strings that have a few specific characteristics, as I flatpick, and want a deep, woody, powerful tone on my guitars that exhibit the most treble and cut; specifically, my guitars with red spruce tops. Next, I want the strings to have slightly less tension than traditional hex-core sets, as I've been bothered with tendonitis issues in the past, and I want superior playability. Third, I want strings that have great longevity ... that will hold pitch, and intonate well, even after having been on the guitar for quite a while, as I prefer the sound of used strings, without all the newish brassiness. Finally, I want a string that is quiet, with a minimum of squeak. That fingernail-on-the-chalkboard sound can twist my spine into knots.

These strings fulfill these qualifications in spades. The best I've ever used, bar none. They may appear expensive, at first glance ... but honestly, they last so long, in comparison to other brands I've used in the past, that I'm actually saving money. Instead of finding it necessary to change strings every couple of weeks, now I re-string every two - three months. This makes my wallet ... and my wife, very happy. Me, too.

IMHO, they are a win-win-win product!

Flinx

So what brand do you use?

Let's see, ... Schoenberg (brass), DR (Sunbeams), John Pearse (bronze, brass, and nickel), Gibson (J-200s), and Martin (4100s). Different strings on different guitars. Gotta experiment to see what works!

-- Bob

Have to throw ernie ball earthwood in this conversation. I hate ernie ball electric strings, i'm GHS Boomers/D'addario usually, but the ernie ball earthwoods are by far the best sounding string I've heard on my MC 'bird. The strings really punch the top well. I was a D'addario PB EJ 17 before, but I'm not looking back and would recommend these strings to anybody.

Archived