Gibson Brands Forums

Which NEW SG model is right for me?..

chptunes

..new guy here.. been a hobbyist player for 15 years.. traded lots of gear...

The other day, I auditioned a SG Standard and was really impressed. I've been doing some research on the web [Gibson's site, Musician's Friend, etc..] and, I'm considering these three price-points;

SG Standard - $1199 @ MF [w/ HSC]

SG Special - $999 @ MF [w/ Gig Bag]

SG Special Faded - $699 @ MF [w/ Gig Bag]

..looks like the Standard is cheaper now than anytime in the past couple of years.. I remember seeing them on MF for $1499 before. Probably the best value for a "number one" guitar, eh?..

..the Special is the same guitar, but cosmetically stripped and sporting a 490T bridge pup?.. if a 498T was installed, would the Special be sonically the same as the Standard? [The pup upgrade and a HSC would raise the cost above the Standard's cost]

..the Faded looks the same as the Special, but with the obvious differences in the finish.. sonically the same?..

Are there any known issues with the current production SGs at these price-points? Anyone have a bad experience with shipping on a new SG?..

Thanks for any opinions/advice..

..I figured that'd be the first response.. thanks Dom_JEM.. ..I'm leaning toward the Standard.. just wanted to get the general consensus here.

If I need to upgrade pups and buy a case, might just as well buy the Standard.. ..don't know anything about the Quick-Connect Wiring thing.. any feedback on that, anyone?..

Mine was made January 26, 2010, and aside from a minor switch contact issue (fixed in ten minutes with a little contact stuff) They are definately on their game this year. SG standard, if you can afford it

..I figured that'd be the first response.. thanks Dom_JEM.. ..I'm leaning toward the Standard.. just wanted to get the general consensus here.

If I need to upgrade pups and buy a case' date=' might just as well buy the Standard.. ..don't know anything about the Quick-Connect Wiring thing.. any feedback on that, anyone?..

[/quote']

I would remove it completely and solder in some RS guitarworks parts

standard if you have the dough. Only go for a faded or a special if you are planning on modding really. (refinish, pickup/wiring, or somthing really awesome.)

on a side note, anyone remember that viking guitar, with all the inlays?

You all dis the F***ing special like its a toy. I have 1 and its my number 1. I don't care if there's no bucker covers or trapazoid inlay. its all in the sound. If you have the dough go for a standard i'm just sayin don hate on the special. cause when it all comes down to it its a humbucker and inlay difference between the 2. Also play a couple sg's and see which one you would like you should pick your own guitar, after all who knows what yo like but your self.

I have a Special Faded, which I bought to use as a Bigsby platform. I'm very happy with it, but I think you should consider the Standard. It has a higher resale value, and a lot of guys don't like the matte finish on the SF (I like it, and I've added chrome pickup covers to contrast with it).

I didn't get the Standard because I really just wanted to test the SG waters without spending a lot of money (I had been playing my LP gold top for 11 years), but that price is definitely attractive. In the event, I really took to the SG, and sold the Les Paul. SGs are very good instruments, with terrific neck access and without the boat-anchor weight of Lester.

If you got all of the people who have ever played a special and a standard to post in this thread you'd still get varying answers. Play them (not just one of each, like any you can find) and get the one you like best. In the end it comes down to your personal taste, not some wankers on an internet forum.

You all dis the F***ing special like its a toy. I have 1 and its my number 1. I don't care if there's no bucker covers or trapazoid inlay. its all in the sound. If you have the dough go for a standard i'm just sayin don hate on the special. cause when it all comes down to it its a humbucker and inlay difference between the 2. Also play a couple sg's and see which one you would like you should pick your own guitar' date=' after all who knows what yo like but your self. [/quote']

Amen brother [biggrin] I say go for the Special. Especially if this is one of your first Gibson's that's not a LP.

My SG Special s my #1, has been, always will be. Unless I can fork up some dough for a vintage original early 60's SG.

Hmmm. This is a tough question. Really though, there isn't a right or wrong answer. I've had both a standard, and a special, and both guitars kicked major a$$. If I had to choose, I'd go for a standard just because for another $200 you get a hard case and some cosmetic gingerbread (binding, nicer inlays, covered pups). Now, keep in mind none of that cosmetic crap means anything to how the guitar is going to sound though. Both standards, and specials can sing a baby to sleep, or scream bloody murder. It's all in the player. If I were you, I'd just go play a few of each, and take the one that plays best for you.

I just scored a '01 Special off ebay with a new hardshell case for $500 shipped,, it hardly looks played, probably some beginner had this guitar and only strummed it, NO fret wear, I LOVE it !! its a great guitar !! and as Twiz stated, the Standard is also a great guitar but you are basically paying for cosmetic upgrades, granted the PUP in the bridge is different and binding too I guess,, but dont overlook the special !!

Like neo said you can get a good used standard for 800 and a new one for 1100 if you can haggle a fair bit. The standards also seem to hold their value a bit better if you think you might ever sell it.

..thanks for all of the input guys.. looks like the Standard gets the vote. I understand that some guys like the Special, but with the Standard's re-sale value and being down in price right now.. it looks like the best choice...

Here's "the rub".. if any of you have checked my new thread on the LP forum, you know that a local guy is offering me his LP Studio for a killer price.. if it's as pristine as he says, I can not pass it up.. ..if this deal doesn't work out, I'll be planning for the SG Standard again.

I'm auditioning the LP on Saturday.

-Corey

..my decision just got a little more difficult.. just talked to the local shop manager.. he's dropped the price of the SG Standard to $1095!!

..I'm just gonna audition it and the LP Studio tomorrow.. see which one I can't live without. ..but ..a new SG Standard for $1095.. wow...

Hopefully, I can post pics of a new Gibson on Monday.. we'll see what the weekend holds...

[i've posted this Reply on my LP thread too]

-Corey

Now, first of all I can't believe that noone has mentioned the option of buying used, especially if you are on a budget. Second; dissing the special and/or the faded models is rediculous because they're basically the same guitar - just minus the cosmetic bells and whistles. I know there's differences tonally but they are miniscule, when you consider what really matters: the person playing them. Oh yeah: and resale value is far better if you buy second hand :)

Archived