Gibson Brands Forums

Your coolest "non-Gibson" guitar?

jimmiJAMM

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say my modified Squier '51. Its body is actually wood!!

This thing gets humbucker tones, and single tones because the humbucker splits and then the middle position is out of phase which works great with slide.

Tough as nails, no matter where I drag it around I am not worried about it breaking. It has a nice solid beefy neck and I just had it setup including a fret polish and it plays great, real comfortable guitar.

DSCN1877.jpg

My 1940's Antoine di Mauro 'Chorus'.

I need a good luthier to set it up so I can actually use it!

Flight knows a guy (Robbie Gladwell?) so I might speak to him about it.

AidiMaurallfour-1.jpg

My 1940's Antoine di Mauro 'Chorus'.

I need a good luthier to set it up so I can actually use it!

Flight knows a guy (Robbie Gladwell?) so I might speak to him about it.

AidiMaurallfour-1.jpg

Euuuuh...the sound of my mouth fallin'apart...WHAT a BEAUTY pippy!!! #-o #-o #-o #-o

Euuuuh...the sound of my mouth fallin'apart...WHAT a BEAUTY pippy!!! #-o #-o #-o #-o

Thanks very much.

The main problem with it is that no matter what I try to play it always sounds like 'Minor Swing'

(Ha! In my dreams' date=' maybe...)[/size']

I like your avatar, BTW.

(EDIT : After writing the above I just had to check and the answer is : No. I still can't play 'Minor Swing'. Well, the chords, perhaps!)

Thanks very much.

The main problem with it is that no matter what I try to play it always sounds like 'Minor Swing'

(Ha! In my dreams' date=' maybe...)[/size']

I like your avatar, BTW.

Yeah, I know what you mean by the sound, hahaha!

Though, sounds changes from time to time but then you need to like Chopin...lol! (I'll post the video to demonstrate to you)

If you want I'll look upon some more luthiers in the UK, familiar with the manouche guitars?

Kris

Yeah' date=' I know what you mean by the sound, hahaha!

Though, sounds changes from time to time but then you need to like Chopin...lol! (I'll post the video to demonstrate to you)

If you want I'll look upon some more luthiers in the UK, familiar with the manouche guitars?

Kris[/quote']

Chopin is OK by me!

The real problem with mine is the neck has a pronounced bow and, there being no truss rod, is difficult to true. I certainly do not have the ability. The guy Flight knows managed to correct a lateral twist on Flight's Slash sig so he may well know what he's up to.

If you do know of any luthiers I'd be grateful to hear of some. The only one I've contacted was Gipsy Guitars in Paris. They explained that the Manouche instruments need to be looked at by someone who knows them well!

Cheers.

Chopin is OK by me!

If you do know of any I'd be grateful to hear of some. The only one I've contacted was Gipsy Guitars in Paris. They explained that the Manouche instruments need to be looked at by someone who knows them well!

Cheers.

For sure, your guitar is a delicate treasure, one needs special care by someone who's really familiar with these kind of vintage guitars. Meanwhile I've send you a PM with already one reference and in this link you'll find the most recognized manouche-luthiers in the world:

http://www.djangostation.com/+-Maurice-Dupont-+.html

Just click in "Autre luthiers" and you'll find the overview. Success mate!

Hey Wyoming...

Whazza weather like in Powell?

We've had a batch of local 8th graders overnighting in Buffalo 'cuz of the snow... Sheesh, in May, who wudda thought? They planned to do whitewater stuff. I don't think so. The "real" whitewater is frozen on I-90!

++++++

..... Yeah, that old "chorus" is gorgeous. Absolutely. I think I'm turning a shade green from envy.

m

My coolest non Gibson is a 1964 Silvertone 1446 made by Harmony. I've had this guitar for nearly 30 years, it is all original and still plays and sounds great.

It is rumored that in the 60's Harmony made some of the bodies for Gibson and Gibson supplied the pups. The 1446 came with p90's. The pups, volume and tone pots are static free, just a sweet mellow tone.

IM000701.jpg

Archived