Gibson Brands Forums

Pick Guage?

Murph

I've read some of you use thicker picks. I use the Tortex .50 but bought some .88 (green) ones the other day to try for the acoustic and just can't get used to them.

What do ya'll use?

I prefer thick, inflexible picks. The Red Bear "C" or "E" shapes in medium (up to 1.30mm) and extra heavy (1.65-2.0mm) are my choice for daily use. Every once in awhile I dig out one of the surviving tortoise shell picks have; they truly have a tone of their own and, while not as thick as the Red Bears, they are quite inflexible. For me, a pick that does not bend at all gives the best control.

I've tried dozens of shapes and thicknesses of picks, but I like the triangle shaped Gibson picks best. I usually use a Medium, but some guitars seem to need the motivation a Heavy provides, so I use those from time to time, too.

Red 333

I just started using a pick for the first time ever last year. I really like the Wegen 1 mm mid sized pick (m100?) with the rounded edge.

I also sprung for two blue chip picks- great tone but the Wegen is easier for me to handle.

I've read some of you use thicker picks. I use the Tortex .50 but bought some .88 (green) ones the other day to try for the acoustic and just can't get used to them.

What do ya'll use?

.60 Dunlop nylon for strumming

John Pearse Buffalo Horn heavy for picking and for mandolin.

I also use some random tortoise-shell-alike I "picked" up at a guitar show. I have no idea who makes it.

I also like the .73 Dunlop Ultex.

Guest rogerb

Hello Murph, Acoustic guitar studio musicians in Nashville tend to lean toward the heavy guage picks. You get less "slap" noise from the pick when recording.

i use the purple tortex. they are 1.14 if i wanted a floppier feel then i just loosen my grip on it. can't stiffen up a lighter pick though.

My sentiments exactly. I was just about to post an identical comment. [cool]

i use the purple tortex. they are 1.14 if i wanted a floppier feel then i just loosen my grip on it. can't stiffen up a lighter pick though.

Sure you can. Move your grip down toward the pointy end a bit and curl it. Might not be good for the life of the pick, but it helps enstiffen it. Want lighter? Move your grip back toward the big end and grip with just thumb and finger.

Archived