Gibson Brands Forums

Most Valuable Player?

jimmiJAMM

There's definitely a wide range when it comes to guitar prices but what we're willing to shell out for that certain special guitar can be downright outta hand. Sure, worth every single penny but...

what's the most $ you've ever spent on a guitar?

big-money.jpg

I don't remember the exact amount, but I spent $800-something on my SG standard back in '94. I think the most I'd consider spending would be probably $1,500. -Anything more than that and I'd be too nervous to mess it up at a gig.

There's definitely a wide range when it comes to guitar prices but what we're willing to shell out for that certain special guitar can be downright outta hand. Sure' date=' worth every single penny but...

what's the [b']most[/b] $ you've ever spent on a guitar?

£1476 on my lp standard, then £1300 on my GM sig LP off ebay (wich ive seen go for £1500 on ebay), then £1064 on my ibanez RG770DX 1987 re-issue, then £729 on my strat, then £700 i got the ibby steve vai jem for...:-

Well, what I spent, and what they're worth, now...is two very diifferent amounts, for sure! They've ALL increased,

in value, some quite remarkably so. BUT the most I've actually "Spent" on a guitar was for my Gibson "Lucille,"

when it was a mere $1,600 bucks...new! (3-400 less, than a ES-335, at the time, too.) That, was a "no brainer,"

to me. Up to that time, $800 was as much as I'd ever spent, on any guitar. Of course, $800 bucks, back then

(1960's) was a sizable chunck of change, and there were no discounts, like we see, now.

CB

Bought a '41 and a '44 L-7, one for $1975, one for $2000. Returned the '41 to Gruhns and flipped the '44 on ebay within the next couple days so I don't count them.

Other than that, probably my '89 J200, bought in '05 for $1950.

$5' date='300. Mint condition w/original case. [/quote']

Just called my dad Neo. He couldn't remember exactly but said mine wasn't more than $250 brand new (hard shell case included). I think he got a pretty good deal, no? [cool]

Guitar003.jpg

Personally, I have spent 47 dollars on a Fender Strat [blush]

For my birthday/Christmas, my parents bought me my LP Studio for 800

Most I would be willing to spend would kind of depend on the guitar, but most feasibly, my limit is 3 grand. I could never see spending more than that, and that would only be for a 335, but I see alternatives to that. More likely, I would be willing to spend two grand, and that would probably top it

I was thinking of posting a similar thread after I was flipping through Sweetwater and looking at some Fender and Gibson "Custom Shop" for more than 6k [cool]

Just called my dad Neo. He couldn't remember exactly but said mine wasn't more than $250 brand new (hard shell case included). I think he got a pretty good deal' date=' no? [cool']

Yep, that's what they cost back in the day. Anyone got a time machine? [blush]

I'm still trying to figure out price tags today compared to the olden days.

It doesn't always seem to fit.

I think the Deluxe Reverb in '66 was about $250 as I recall. May be way off on that since it was ... a little while ago.

There weren't any Gibsons available where I lived, and I pretty much hadda get stuff where I did live. I can't remember price tags from 35 years ago very well anyhow.

m

yeah... way too depressing.

Besides, I'm not sure that some sorts of products are at all comparable in price to years ago.

For example, when I got clobbered in the eye with a rope in 9th grade, Dad got me a (WOW) six-transistor radio that I could operate without moving since they were afraid I'd go blind if I wiggled much. I recall it ran about $100. Ditto about 10 years later with a basic 4-bit calculator that ran well over $100. Now both are almost jokes.

Ditto too with amplifiers. Tube amps still ain't cheap, but who would have imagined in the 1960s a 30-watt amplifier that would run some $150 and have all sorts of bells and whistles?

"Cheap" guitars? Wow, even with some of the well-criticized weaknesses of some current "cheapies," the overall quality of low-end guitars available today puts some of the real crud to shame from when I was starting out. Figure that you can get a half decent beginner piece for $100 today. That's what, maybe $25 in the early 1960s? Less maybe?

Most of the electronics available today for guitar weren't even imagined.

I remember wanting a tape recorder to record practice sessions. Now I just plug into the computer.

No, I don't think it's all a matter of checking inflation. <grin> Besides, that's way too depressing.

Another factor: In 1950 we lived at a rough equivalent of as well as we live today with one paycheck per family. <grin>

m

Archived