Gibson Brands Forums

What song are you learning lately????

onewilyfool

I've been working up a rendition of "Halleluja" by Leonard Cohen, which I think is just a beautiful song, a 10. I like Leonard's live version from his concert in London, and K.D. Laing's version from the Canadian Winter Olympics show. I also like that version that Lee Dewyze did on American Idol....(lol, OK I ADMIT I watch that show....lol)

What are you guys working on now?

I've been working up a rendition of "Halleluja" by Leonard Cohen' date=' which I think is just a beautiful song, a 10. I like Leonard's live version from his concert in London, and K.D. Laing's version from the Canadian Winter Olympics show. I also like that version that Lee Dewyze did on American Idol....(lol, OK I ADMIT I watch that show....lol)

What are you guys working on now?[/quote']

Well... I watch it and I'm not embarassed!!

Not working on any song right now..... am working on the music for a dog show we put on in June, and that's recorded stuff.

Also been repairing the irrigation system in the vineyards this weekend.

But I plan on jumping back on the guitar in the morning!!

Hey OWF - I've been working that one too! So many choices for that particular song... even Leonard Cohen did it so many different ways.

My most recent two are Shawn Colvin's "When you know" and Jewel's "You were meant for me" -- requests for a garden party coming up soon. Close to performance-ready at the moment. Fingers crossed.

And I'm an Idol fan too, not one bit embarassed to admit it.

[biggrin]

Hummm...

Well... variations on Misty up the neck a bit just to see what alt chords I might find...

Then... guitar-only version of "you belong to me" kinda keyboarding (on guitar) the newer Duprees version of it.

And... to get a different neck perspective... Y'd never guess which guitar and superlight strings.

Firelight... Try the Duprees chords instead??? It works well in C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW5ErZOUWGE&feature=related

==== that's the new version.

In '62 the version went a little less "big band."

Jo Stafford did pretty much the original version as I recall - at least that I'm old enough to remember.

Great song; I like the newer Duprees big band arrangement.

m

My blues band has been in rehearsals for the summer festival season. Every spring we try to replace about half the show. Some of the new stuff for this summer includes songs by Muddy Waters, Albert King, and Buddy Guy.

This Friday we'll debut the new material in concert and see how it goes

Just finished learning the basic foundation of a couple John Hurt tunes: "Stack O' Lee" and "Ain't No Tellin'". There are always variations to add to those.

I'm slowly picking up Rev. Gary Davis's "The Boy Was Kissing the Girl (and Playing the Guitar at the Same Time)". (I still need to contribute to last week's RGD thread.)

I'm also forever learning "Pony Blues"...

I really love playing Sam Beam's (Iron and Wine) songs. Lately I have been playing "Naked As We Came" and "Communion Cups and Someone's Coat." Both are easily fingerpicked and so much fun to sing along with. I had to sell my '55 Southern Jumbo a few months back so I could study abroad. Now I am traveling Europe with a 25 euro classical guitar with a maltese sticker on it that I found on their version of Craigslist. Missing my SJ but having a fantastic time because if it.

I am reworking a song called "Better Road", that I wrote but am suddenly finding constructive ways to improve it. It's very, very hard, because I thought I had finished this song already and it was 'set', but now... new inspiration, though the established version keeps creeping back in.

As for Idol, I gave up last season when Bland beat Glam and haven't watched an episode since...

Been working on a version of "Daydream Believer" after someone posted it here and got me thinking about it. I found a version with lots off add2 chords and other stuff I don't normally use, so I'm trying to work those chords into my repertoire.

Also been practicing a Flogging Molly song, "If I Ever Leave This World Alive" for my Celtic group, as well as The Waterboys' "Fisherman's Blues" (super easy) and "Obscurity Knocks" by The Trashcan Sinatras. Again, that one's got a lot of chords I don't normally use, A6, E9, Gmaj7. Good practice. I struggle with the moveable form of the Maj7 chord.

I struggle with the moveable form of the Maj7 chord.

Me too. I wrote a song that uses this chord extensively and two years later I still can't play it without big old string squeak between nearly every move of the chord. Still, it's such a lush beauty, I won't give up.

i've never been much for covers but i recently began hosting an open mic night so i'm learning a bunch as fast as i can. i tend to add a cheese factor - using a kazoo for solos and i select tunes that have a corny and ironic side to them.

as for hallelujah, i like these ones...

rufus wainwright

and jeff buckley..

I've been asked to play "Dream and Little Dream of Me" at a friend's wedding in September. So I'm working on a fingerstyle arrangement of that to play on my Gretsch 5122. While I've been playing that, it is such a great segue, on the last C chord of "Dream" to launch into "Sleepwalk". And then, of course, I had to start playing

and then
and
. [biggrin]

I'm going to record "Walk Don't Run" but I recorded "Pipeline" a while back.

Working out a few new songs that are fun to play. I love to play 'em with the bluegrass band. It gives a song a pretty cool "twist" done acoustically! Lately, I tried "The Last Train to Clarksville"- The Monkees, "Choices"- George Jones, and "Tulsa Time"- Eric Clapton. I love Tulsa Time 'cause I get to break out my slide. Granted, my slide playing isn't even close by any stretch of the imagination to Duane Allman or the other master slide guitarists, but I can manage! And it sure is fun to be able to have an opportunity just to be able to try!!!

I've been slacking off again lately, but I'm on holidays now so looking forward to getting back to where I was. I've started working on an acoustic version of this song, Where I Stood by Missy Higgins. This isn't really my style but I love the song and chord progression. You'll see an AJ in this video [biggrin]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

What are you guys working on now?

Well I've been working out "'Liz Reed" with a friend; during a break he showed me how he plays "Trouble No More" in an open E tuning (apparently this is how it was played live on the Fillmore album; I learned it with the standard tuning from their first album).

Well... That got me started investigating open tunings' date=' which then got me looking at a bunch of songs that are apparently done in open tunings, esp. "She Talks To Angels" on acoustic in open D (though I actually play Hammond on this) and a *bunch* of Stones tunes that are mostly in open G. Then I restrung the low E with an extra A string on my hardtail Am Strat to get a "power open G" tuning -- basically the fifth [i']and[/i] sixth strings are both tuned down to G -- though I read Keef just takes the sixth string off.

Then I started trying to work up a new guitar part in open G but capoed up to B-flat for a song I wrote a few months ago.

You know, sometimes this stuff takes on a life of it's own... :^) And I still haven't gotten back to that open tuning slide on "TNM." If I had any discipline, I might actually get good at this. LOL!

John

Archived