Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

And for general information..from Henry's site...

Gents, The run has indeed ended, but this only means that we have sold it out. It does not mean that we have built all of the guitars. These guitars will continue to be in production for a few months, all production going to fill the existing orders. It is not possible to build all at one time as we are building most of our models every day. A % of the mix every day is the Studio 50's Tribute.

Thanks,

Vic

Vic Russelavage

Director - Global eCommerce Channels

Gibson Guitar Company

vrussela@gibson.com

Seems to me "fill the exisiting orders" would mean 'DEALERS' orders', which may not necessarily jive with 'consumer orders'.

And for those who missed it, Henry himself added this goofy statement (after 1st promising the Tribute would be kept to the original limited run - "We promised people this would be a limited run, and it will be."...)

There is a rumor that a few more guitars will be produced. If they are produced they will only be sold in a limited number of stores and will not be be available for pre-sale or mail order. In other words, if the instruments can be purchased only if they are in store stock, and they cannot be reordered by the merchant.

This is meant to prevent the many problems and disappointments caused by dealers taking orders before they had instruments.

This has not been committed to, but is a real possibility. If it happens, it should be announced in a few weeks.

All the best

Henry

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of goofy statements, none of which give any idea whatsoever about the status of orders placed with authorized dealerships in early June.

Roll your eyes as much as makes you feel good, but the factory has in fact pulled strings for some forum members, and not others.

Why?

Why do you think dealers who take & charge for pre-orders should be given special preference by Gibson over other dealers when Gibson ships out their guitars? Do you think Gibson knows which dealers have pre-sold guitars and which ones haven't? Should they? Should they care? Why should Gibson be responsible because a merchant sold guitars they didn't have?

I think dealers who promote walk-in purchases should be given preference over on-line sellers...because I don't like to shop for guitars on-line.

Henry J., in regards to making more 50s Tributes available in a 'limited fashion'...

What about those who do not readily have access to Music Shops that carry these guitars and their only means is to order online? You would single out these people and limit their access to these guitars "because you don't like to shop for guitars on-line?"

It will be interesting, after all this, to see who actually keeps their guitar, and who sells it (probably for a profit), soon after they get it.

Frenzy, sometimes leads to unrealistic expectations, all around.

So, it would be interesting to know...of the ones who have already recieved their's, how many actually kept them, and who ordered them, to sell...or, just sold them, because they didn't live up to their expectations?

CB

Indeed, my goldtop is going back to MF. Or more likely, to ebay first. I'm not looking to price gouge, but will start at what I paid and see what the market says.

It's not because of any problems with the guitar -- great sound, fretwork is also great, no switch problems, the "worn" finish is very subtle. Most likely it's just that I've only played Fenders for the past 35 years. As somebody that is strictly a hobbyist, I come home after a long day at work, and if I'm lucky I have some time to play around a bit. After getting the Tribute, I still find myself playing my Strat, and it bothers me to see the Tribute sitting there unplayed. Yeah, I know, strange. My wife things I'm crazy, she's probably right, but I have other things calling for money.

I'll also mention I bought an Eric Johnson Strat once, figuring here's a guy who is completely anal about his tone, 19 sets of pickups before the "right" ones, lots of other very nice touches, etc. I wasn't crazy about it either, and ended up selling it too. After all, the specs were for *his* perfect guitar. I put my current Strat together from parts I wanted, and it's just perfect for me. (Hey, even Stevie had a "no 1" ;-)

This thread has been very "entertaining" for the past 4 months though, I wish the best of luck to those of you still waiting.

Indeed, my goldtop is going back to MF. Or more likely, to ebay first. I'm not looking to price gouge, but will start at what I paid and see what the market says.

It's not because of any problems with the guitar -- great sound, fretwork is also great, no switch problems, the "worn" finish is very subtle. Most likely it's just that I've only played Fenders for the past 35 years. As somebody that is strictly a hobbyist, I come home after a long day at work, and if I'm lucky I have some time to play around a bit. After getting the Tribute, I still find myself playing my Strat, and it bothers me to see the Tribute sitting there unplayed. Yeah, I know, strange. My wife things I'm crazy, she's probably right, but I have other things calling for money.

I'll also mention I bought an Eric Johnson Strat once, figuring here's a guy who is completely anal about his tone, 19 sets of pickups before the "right" ones, lots of other very nice touches, etc. I wasn't crazy about it either, and ended up selling it too. After all, the specs were for *his* perfect guitar. I put my current Strat together from parts I wanted, and it's just perfect for me. (Hey, even Stevie had a "no 1" ;-)

This thread has been very "entertaining" for the past 4 months though, I wish the best of luck to those of you still waiting.

Good luck man,post a link here if you put it on ebay.

You would single out these people and limit their access to these guitars "because you don't like to shop for guitars on-line?"

No - I wouldn't REALLY care! I wouldn't get too worked up over how Gibson decides which dealers to ship their guitars out to 1st (though it may be interesting to know). I also wouldn't blame GIBSON for not worrying too much about which DEALERS took pre-orders and charged for guitars they didn't have and which ones didn't when deciding whom they should ship to 1st.

FWIW, Gibson limits access to numerous guitars all the time...limited runs by their very nature (and name), and also 'exclusives' certainly limit people's access...'oh well' is my typical response if I miss(ed) out or won't bite...there is always another guitar.

Lots of goofy statements, none of which give any idea whatsoever about the status of orders placed with authorized dealerships in early June.

Agreed - which I did not address in my post.

Roll your eyes as much as makes you feel good, but the factory has in fact pulled strings for some forum members, and not others.

Won't [rolleyes], but instead be mildly [huh], a little amused, and mostly curious about "how and why". SO...what are the details with regards to 'string pulling'?

Hi Nova89,

I work directly with Musician's Friend for Gibson. I must apologize for the repeated and delayed delivery notices to you. As we continue to ramp up after recovering from the massive flood that wiped out our USA facility, we have struggled with predicting with 100% accuracy what and when will be completed through production. However, we are far ahead of where we were a week ago, and shall be even further ahead in the near term.

This guitar is in constant production. We now have a pretty good idea when and how many will emerge from production each week. If you can provide me with your Name Zip Code and phone number used to place your order, I will get with MF to see where you are in line at Gibson and at MF....

Vic

Dave,

I replied to your PM, am working with our guys in the UK to see if we can get you taken care of

Thanks,

Vic

Ahh - thanks - did not see this/these!!!

Has there ever been a concrete number given in the exact amount of each color made? Or total production?

I heard (but can't quote) that 120 of each color a month for 6 month, so thats 3600 total, 720 of each color. And somewhere like 35 pages ago, someone quoted where he got that from...

Nah,I got the call from Musicians Friend before I even saw that post on Henry's Forum. I campaigned hard to get my Goldtop calling Musicians Friend everyday till I got them to call their Gibson Rep and ask how come Sam Ash is getting all the Goldtops. I really stirred up a hornets nest let me tell you.That is why by the time Vic responded to my post with an offer to help it was already fait accompli

Keeping my Honeyburst pre flood and my Sam Ash post flood Gold Top. The GC Gold Top I am still up in the air about. Still have not unboxed it since bringing it home, only having looked it over in the store on delivery (working 12 hour shifts 6/7 days plus 95 mile round trip commute with long walk in as well as heavy security to go through to get in...). Really no time for anything but work at the moment. This is temporary, maybe 3 or 4 more weeks. Then I'll figure out what will become of the NIB GC Gold Top (the first one I ordered BTW...).

They're not yet done producing them Morty, but I don't see them becoming particularly collectible. Not as rare as all that, and as I've always maintained, the (originally) low price was/is a large part of the appeal of this guitar. But it IS a very cool, great sounding and nice feeling guitar (as I imagine you now know first hand). The Gold Tops in particular carry a premium in some places now, but I doubt it will go up from there, or even maintain that status (I have been wrong before though!).

Keeping my Honeyburst pre flood and my Sam Ash post flood Gold Top. The GC Gold Top I am still up in the air about. Still have not unboxed it since bringing it home, only having looked it over in the store on delivery (working 12 hour shifts 6/7 days plus 95 mile round trip commute with long walk in as well as heavy security to go through to get in...). Really no time for anything but work at the moment. This is temporary, maybe 3 or 4 more weeks. Then I'll figure out what will become of the NIB GC Gold Top (the first one I ordered BTW...).

Good to hear you out there T Bone.

It's been a while.. I hear ya, you gotta take ( work ), where and and you can get it. msp_cool.gif

I heard (but can't quote) that 120 of each color a month for 6 month, so thats 3600 total, 720 of each color. And somewhere like 35 pages ago, someone quoted where he got that from...

Thanks, that's what I remember reading as well, but wasn't sure it was from an accurate source, or if there was any official word from Gibson.

Thanks, that's what I remember reading as well, but wasn't sure it was from an accurate source, or if there was any official word from Gibson.

Those figures came from a guy on The Gear Page Forum, He had said that he called Gibson and that is what they told him.I don't know who he spoke to at Gibson but I have never seen any confirmation of these figures from Gibson.

Here is the original source from TGP 05-24-2010, 10:55 AM

i just called gibson. strait from their mouth. 120 a month in each color for 6 months. 3600 total' date=' street price he quoted was something like $853.[/quote']

I think he works at a Guitar Center Store so he may have called their Gibson rep.

Here is the original source from TGP 05-24-2010, 10:55 AM

I think he works at a Guitar Center Store so he may have called their Gibson rep.

Cool, thanks, so there never has been a number given by Gibson Rep here as to how many will be made. I'm not saying this guy is wrong or right, but it's still 2nd hand at best.

Archived