Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

Yeah,Music123 called me and said they can't can't get me a goldtop. They are going to send me this instead.

742082.jpg

That was the one guitar I was thinking of getting before I heard about the 50s Tribute, cause I was looking for 2 p-90 gibson, but at that time it was a japan exclusive and even more expensive than the goldtop Les Paul Senior. Body is build from several pieces (like my GT actually) and IF i was to pick a color, I'd tend to white. But I am not! Not, no, no. oh well...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys think GC is bad, try working with Long and McQuade. They don't give a rat's *** about anyone. They fed us a BS story about how Gibson was raffling off the rights to order these guitars. When I asked Gibson about it, they said they have never done that, for this or any other limited run.

Just out of curiosity which Long & McQuade was it..?

That was the one guitar I was thinking of getting before I heard about the 50s Tribute, cause I was looking for 2 p-90 gibson, but at that time it was a japan exclusive and even more expensive than the goldtop Les Paul Senior. Body is build from several pieces (like my GT actually) and IF i was to pick a color, I'd tend to white. But I am not! Not, no, no. oh well...

my local GC had that guitar and I compared with the GC limited run special which was selling for much less, $999. The GC limited special had neck bindings and had gloss nitro finish instead of satin. The tunning keys are the tulips instead of the white button ones.. The GC played and sounded much better to me, and it looked just like the 55 les paul special.

IMG_6967.jpg

Guest creativesweetener

Why do most of these forums end up posting about gold top this gold top that? Talk about how the guitar's construction or some other topic. There is a forum for goldtop conversation only. You are not amazing cause you have a goldtop. The gold is not real on the guitar, it is probably not as rare as many other colors. As noted in past but not confirmed it is an even slate for color production which means today, gold is realy not any more valuable than black. It seems like there are more people looking to price gouge rather than buy a guitar for a great price and play the crap out of it and appreciate it.

On more of a personal note any color other than ebony and white is a sexy look for these amazing guitars (personally!!). With it being a limited run I wouldn't be to picky if I were one who still is on there quest to find one (besides overpriced sales). You should avoid these initial price gougers and find one that is below the msrp whatever the color may be. Play the guitar and not post repeatedly on forums like you have the rarest kind of guitar like some sort of ego-maniac power trip.

(solo) .. . ... ..... .. . ... .. .... .. .

I can not emphasis enough on how guitars are manufactured to be played.

Hope this post helps anyone still thinking about picking one of these guitars. It is a fine guitar for anyone's collection.

Why do most of these forums end up posting about gold top this gold top that? Talk about how the guitar's construction or some other topic. There is a forum for goldtop conversation only. You are not amazing cause you have a goldtop. The gold is not real on the guitar, it is probably not as rare as many other colors. As noted in past but not confirmed it is an even slate for color production which means today, gold is realy not any more valuable than black. It seems like there are more people looking to price gouge rather than buy a guitar for a great price and play the crap out of it and appreciate it.

On more of a personal note any color other than ebony and white is a sexy look for these amazing guitars (personally!!). With it being a limited run I wouldn't be to picky if I were one who still is on there quest to find one (besides overpriced sales). You should avoid these initial price gougers and find one that is below the msrp whatever the color may be. Play the guitar and not post repeatedly on forums like you have the rarest kind of guitar like some sort of ego-maniac power trip.

(solo) .. . ... ..... .. . ... .. .... .. .

I can not emphasis enough on how guitars are manufactured to be played.

Hope this post helps anyone still thinking about picking one of these guitars. It is a fine guitar for anyone's collection.

Well I have to say, I got a Gold Top just because it is the color of the 5 available that I like best. And since many people seem to think that way, it is the color thats probably hardest to come by. Anyway, I agree that this is a guitar to be played and people here have stated more than once that it plays fine and sounds great and all that. But restricting the conversation here to certain aspects is not the policy of a forum, ppl could debate whatever they want. No force to read that and no point in telling them that they are boring.

But I got your point and I agree, if you want a guitar , thats a Les paul, plays fine and has that p-90 sound, one should rather play a white one than hunting for that gold one and finally just adore and polish a fetish.

I m lucky for this Les Paul.Because 1 model shipped in my town .I hope 4 mounth the sellers order 15 guitar he received 2 (1 gt ,1 black), back order for the other 13.Lucky because hard to find.Lucky i buy this one to celebrate my recovery (cancer) this years . This guitar it a great occasion to have a les paul gt under 2000$ .

Sound great in vintage amps the first guitar i buy and don t want change electronique .

Solo .... ... i m just a jealous guy... .... .. .

You love p-90 and you have chance to buy one (any color)Take your chance .

I think they're all pretty cool! I bought the "Gold Top,"

because I didn't have one, can't justify (as of yet) paying

what a VOS or CS Gold Top (R-6 or R-7) would cost me,

and all the Les Paul "Standard's," in the '50's (until '58)

were Gold Top! The exceptions were the Custom, Junior, Special.

The first ones, had body binding only. I think that's one reason

the Gold Top's sold out first...maybe(?)...the fact that people often

(not always, of course) think of a '50's LP with P-90's as being

a "Gold Top!"

But, they're all nice/good guitars...especially for the money..IMHO.

CB

Actually, I bought my Cherry because I really appreciate seeing the wood quality thru the finish!! Plain and simple.

As for the posts of mainly G.T.'s, I'm not quit convinced that there are indeed , at this point anyways, as many of the Cherries and Honey's out there compared to the G.T.'s maybe?

You just don't see the others hardly for some reason I can't explain...

As far as worth, there worth what you want to pay for it... I, personally do not like the G.T.'s as much as the C.B. and the Honey... My opinion, for what it's worth.... Maybe a penny, not 2 cents??

Man, I must consider myself lucky as the local GC called me yesterday and my GT special order showed up. I now have twins... kind of. They are both fine playing machines. The GT is a 2 piece back and its almost invisible its blended so well. The CB is a 3 piece, and again blended very well. I spent about 10 minutes last night comparing the sound between the 2 and they do sound a little different. The GT is a little grittier sounding. One complaint, the jack plate is crooked...kind of annoying but not visible without looking at it closely.

One of these guitars will be up for sale withing a week, as I cant keep both. Stay tuned.....

I have decided to keep my CB... Gold top for sale.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150511238040&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

I have decided to keep my CB... Gold top for sale.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150511238040&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Go ahead, gouge your brothers while you have the chance! (If I used smilies, I might put one here.)

Also - why no disclosure about the crooked jack plate? And it's not "new" either.

Ah well, that doesn't make you out to be any worse (IMO) than the folks who shipped it in the first place. Heck, at least you can deliver what you've offered.

So I went to my local Guitar Center today (I really hate GC, by the way), and they had two on the floor - cherry sunburst and white. The cherry sunburst actually looked better than I expected - the pictures don't do it justice. I'm having a hard time imagining how the dull GT would look, though... The CSB had a 4 piece back.

I played them through a Egnater "Rebel" amp (which sounded really good itself), and the guitars both played really nice. The CSB played a little better. They sounded rich and full. Neither played as good as my ES339, though...

So I'm still thinking about it, but odds are - after waiting this long - that I'm going to throw my two (imaginary) goldtops back in the water for somebody else to get. I've already got too many guitars, anyways...maybe I'll just wait it out and get the 336 in GT, which is what I really want.

Good luck man,post a link here if you put it on ebay.

I just listed it: http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-50s-Tribute-Gold-Top-/180578888367?pt=Guitar&hash=item2a0b572aaf#ht_500wt_1073

Interesting to see that it's one of eleven tributes on ebay (at the time I posted it), all of various price ranges. I'd love it if somebody from this forum got it :-)

So I went to my local Guitar Center today (I really hate GC, by the way), and they had two on the floor - cherry sunburst and white. The cherry sunburst actually looked better than I expected - the pictures don't do it justice. I'm having a hard time imagining how the dull GT would look, though... The CSB had a 4 piece back.

I played them through a Egnater "Rebel" amp (which sounded really good itself), and the guitars both played really nice. The CSB played a little better. They sounded rich and full. Neither played as good as my ES339, though...

So I'm still thinking about it, but odds are - after waiting this long - that I'm going to throw my two (imaginary) goldtops back in the water for somebody else to get. I've already got too many guitars, anyways...maybe I'll just wait it out and get the 336 in GT, which is what I really want.

Dude,if you cancel your orders now that is like throwing away $800($400 profit x 2) maybe more . Even if you don't get a Goldtop and THEY cancel your order you will be able to get them to give you a sweet deal on another guitar,maybe a 336 Goldtop. If you cancel yourself,you get nothing.

Dude,if you cancel your orders now that is like throwing away $800($400 profit x 2) maybe more . Even if you don't get a Goldtop and THEY cancel your order you will be able to get them to give you a sweet deal on another guitar,maybe a 336 Goldtop. If you cancel yourself,you get nothing.

Yeah, fair point. After all this crap, I'm just kind of like - wtf? I guess I'll wait and see what kind of response our friend up there ^ with the ebay listing gets...

They only made a few 336's in Goldtop, so it's kind of a hunt for a used one. And I found two cases of Throwback Dr. Pepper today, so that was more exciting than my encounter with the two Tributes...

Go ahead, gouge your brothers while you have the chance! (If I used smilies, I might put one here.)

Also - why no disclosure about the crooked jack plate? And it's not "new" either.

Ah well, that doesn't make you out to be any worse (IMO) than the folks who shipped it in the first place. Heck, at least you can deliver what you've offered.

Yeah my wife busted my chops this morning about the jackplate this morning. I put the listing together in haste last night. I have updated the text and will post a picture tonight. Also, this was a special order and the way that I got charged was kind of odd. The guitar and gig bag were listed as seperate items, I got charged tax and shipping fees which put the guitar into the 920 range. The extra 80 is for my pain and suffering over the last 6 months. [smile] I think 1k is fair and if someone wants to pony up more...than so be it.

Archived