Gibson Brands Forums

What are you working on?

Riffster

What is the main thing you currently doing to improve yourself as a guitar player?

Be it practising, learning a new song, getting tight on the stuff you already know, chasing sound/tone, writing, recording, taking lessons, etc.

I am currently trying to learn how to develop a softer touch on the guitar, I feel like I am either digging on the frets hard or playing with my heavy handed attack all the time.

Here is an improvised clip, it ain't much...botched intro and outro and box playing and out of time I may add but this is the start.

I also recorded a bass line for the first time, sounds spacey and dirty, decided to keep it in the mix.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1040297

Working on a lead for a tune Shred put down, which involves learning to use my studio. It also has me playing a LOT more everyday, so I'm getting tighter and more fluid. I've got the mike set up and am working on vocals, too.

:)

What is the main thing you currently doing to improve yourself as a guitar player?

Trying not to fire my band, or kill my bandmates. My blues band is currently in rehearsals for a HUGE concert. Between the la-de-da attitude of half the band, and the premadonna attitude of the other half, I'm going nuts. I've kept this band has been together for 18 years, and was planning to throw in the towel at 20, but I don't think I'm going to make it.

Working on a lead for a tune Shred put down' date=' which involves learning to use my studio. It also has me playing a LOT more everyday, so I'm getting tighter and more fluid. I've got the mike set up and am working on vocals, too.

[cool

What Shred thing are you doin ? I got one of his on my site.

I'm doing two things;

The first, I got the idea for it from this video:

creating "stock phrases" as the interviewer says to start off improv's

Secondly, setting up pedals and combining amps to get a particular tone.

Joe Bonamassa style stuff....[cool] [cool] [cool]

I'm currently learning all of the Johnny Cash music for the musical "Ring of Fire". But after looking over it, I realized all of the songs are in the key of A, G, or C. So it's like a constant I IV V7 rodeo over here for every key, and I'm feeling a little depressed as it were.

Maybe I'll substitute in jazz chords just for the hell of it and walk into the first rehearsal like, "Umm...Hi. This is my J-Cash revolution." [cool]

Writing songs... and it sucks. Like I mentioned before, I'm starting a band, and no one else really writes. I have about 5 songs almost done. 3 which have complete lyrics and chord progressions and everything. 2 that still need work on lyrics and riffs and stuff like that.

It's a ton of work. I'm contemplating pulling a Rory Gallagher- lock myself in my room for a couple of days with drugs and alcohol and just write and get stuff done [drool] (sarcasm should be noted here, before anyone flips out)

Lightning fast bluegrass runs on my J45 acoustic which is harder than it sounds.

Many years of playing electrics has made me lazy, and the shear strength and durability involved in long, fast solos on an acoustic is testing.

And fun.

[biggrin]

A totally different arrangement for "Misty."

In the past I always did it very "straight" like elevator music. Now looking for different chord inversions. Still fingerstyle, still same key ©...

m

Theory, I brought some of it to work with me to work on today. I've been taking stacks of single sheets are re-copying it over into scribblers so I can just flip open to relative majors and minors, dominant sevenths, it's what I'm weakest at overall I think.

Don't get me wrong I could stand to improve all around, and I would love to jam with some people around the same skill level as me, but there's not much around right now and time is a factor, so I'll keep on pickin and bendin away all the while procrastinating memorizing the cycle of fourths and arpeggios, and triplets in scales etc.

It is too easy to be playing through the cycle then just start playing the blues in some scale and get distracted haha.

Cool ........I knocked that out off hand as is my usuall.........

Yes you did! I aspire to be as comfortable with my recording rig as you are #-o Fortunately' date=' I find learning to be great fun... [cool

I am forever a student. I love rediscovering guitar and learning new things.

I'm hooked on those Guitar World DVD's that Andy Aledort instructs on as well as other players.

I have almost all of them and practice with them a lot when I have the free time.

I've been wanting to learn slide, so my next DVD will be Andy's DVD on slide guitar.

When I get the time though, I plan to buy a really nice classical guitar and study flamenco guitar.

Larry...

I'd forgotten entirely about that one!

Mostly I've been thinking more about something between Kessel and Pass but... Hmmmm. Ah, well. I have until tomorrow afternoon to figure what I wanna do. <chortle>

Today was mostly rodeoing.

Cabba...

I may be wrong, but I don't think "a really nice classical guitar" is "it" for flamenco, although I'm old enough to remember when most flamenco guitars still used wooden tuning pegs. I think you want something nice and bright, though. An old-style wooden/wooden peg capo is mandatory, too. I have a couple; one is the first I ever bought, 47 years ago...

As for rediscovering guitar and leaning new things - that's what it's all about, to me. When I stop learning, I hope I'm gone; and even then I hope they let me play guitar 'stedda a harp - or at least between shifts shoveling coal.

m

Cabba...

I may be wrong' date=' but I don't think "a really nice classical guitar" is "it" for flamenco, although I'm old enough to remember when most flamenco guitars still used wooden tuning pegs. I think you want something nice and bright, though. An old-style wooden/wooden peg capo is mandatory, too. I have a couple; one is the first I ever bought, 47 years ago...

As for rediscovering guitar and leaning new things - that's what it's all about, to me. When I stop learning, I hope I'm gone; and even then I hope they let me play guitar 'stedda a harp - or at least between shifts shoveling coal.

m

[/quote']

That's good to know.

I'm stricktly an electric guy, I went from trumpet & french horn directly to a flying-v. [cool]

I have never really owned and worked with an acoustic (just dabbled), so not sure what I would really need for that.

I like the sound of a classical guitar with the gut/nylon strings and the wide fretboard is something I would like.

If it's not a good way to go, suggestions would be great!

Archived