Gibson Brands Forums

Ginger Baker On Gary Moore

Rocky4

EC at his "Peak' date='" in the '60's??? I hear this, a lot, here. But, I'm sorry...I think he was just

getting a good, even great "start," in the '60's. He's has pretty much steadily improved

and experimented, too...all along. CB[/quote']

This and what pippy just said, you can listen to 1970 and 2005 recordings at Royal Albert Hall and appreciate the growth.

During the many years he lived in Colorado I met and talked to him (Ginger) many times he is a nice enough guy but definitely has a sever grumpy side. He lived in Parker just south of Denver and showed up backstage at many gigs when I was working in staging and backline.

I'd agree strongly with that viewpoint.

In fact' date=' much as I like Clapton's work on the "Beano" (and I love it), the albums of his I listen to most are 'Layla', '461 Ocean Boulevard', 'No Reason to Cry' and 'From the Cradle'.[/quote']

Personally, I think "461 Ocean Blvd" and "Journeyman" are his two best efforts.

One of my instructors many years ago was Jim Mason who produced Firefall and wrote many songs that were used by various artists. He told me a story about Ginger Baker once. Jim was in a studio producing and Ginger was on drums for this session. Every time they would get things up to speed Ginger would slump over and fall off his stool during mid song. Ginger Baker was always drunk or stoned. When you had him playing it was great but keeping him there was a lot of work. As far as Clapton and Gary Moore, I'd take Gary Moore. To me Clapton needs backup to sound good but Gary Moore can hold his own and keep the show going just playing on his own!

To me Clapton needs backup to sound good but Gary Moore can hold his own and keep the show going just playing on his own!

I saw Clapton live in February, with just a bass player, drummer, and keyboard player and he was outstanding, so I dissagree[-(

Yeah, and I enjoy listening to him (EC), on his own, with just his 000-28 Martin, as well.

I also find it amusing, when (some) people say, that EC has to work with the best back-up

musicians, to sound good. ???? So, what...he should work with crappy musicians, instead??!

I'm not putting Gary Moore down, truly. He's an awesome player! But, for me personally, I

just prefer EC's subtlety, and style, and always have, really. As to Ginger Baker...watching the

afore mentioned "Cream Reunion Concert," at the Albert Hall...he was so relaxed, and all that

stuff he did, seemed like it was as natural as breathing, to him...seem to barely break a sweat.

I loved the dynamic, both personal, and musical, between them all. Just 3 great players, doing

what they love, and do best! We should all be so lucky!

:>)

CB

...Clapton needs backup to sound good...

:-

How on Earth do you come to that conclusion?

Just asking.

Have you heard EC playing a set on his own and GM playing a set on his own and compared the two performances?

I've heard Clapton playing solo sets twice; once in the late '70s and once in the mid '80s - and he sounded good to me on both occasions - but haven't yet had the pleasure of a solo GM set so I'll keep my own options open until that situation is corrected.

this is rocky4's thread? [biggrin]

:-

How did this turn into a Clapton thread? This is about one of the most influential drummers in history commenting on something I already knew. Steve, you need to save up some cash and come to America to check out some blues festivals. Beer, BBQ, hot summer sun, and guitar players you've never even heard of that would leave Moore in the dust. We get a different perspective of blues here.

because then people wont know if he's spelling things wrong.

Its no secret that Clapton was a diva back then as well. He had his share of tantrums and hissy fits.

This is GB's way of harvesting new sour grapes. Sorry guys, hes a has been and he knows it....so as is typical

he will lash out at everyone. Misery loves company. He had fame with Cream, and that was a looong time ago.

How did this turn into a Clapton thread? This is about one of the most influential drummers in history commenting on something I already knew. Steve' date=' you need to save up some cash and come to America to check out some blues festivals. Beer, BBQ, hot summer sun, and guitar players you've never even heard of that would leave Moore in the dust. We get a different perspective of blues here. [/quote']

fair point [biggrin]

i'd love to spend time over there, chicago and nashville would be my first port of call...one day.

• 1 month later...

Ginger Baker is one of the best drummers in rock history. IMHO, he's a much better drummer than GM is a guitarist. But, that's just my opinion.

one of the best in rock history? the crack head can't even remember his own name! and gary moore will still be churning out virtuoso solos while baker is laying on the floor begging for his next fix...

Archived