Gibson Brands Forums

Ginger Baker On Gary Moore

Rocky4

When I saw Gary play in Valencia last summer it was painful!! I wished to god I had brought ear plugs. The guy is an amazing guitar player' date=' you can't take that away from him but he has got to turn down.... It's nuts!!![/quote']

That's all I have heard about him. I want it to be enjoyable, not going away with bleeding ears. Sorry bud, but Gibbsons is wayyyyyyyyyy better! [biggrin]

PS, how can you compare guitarists? how many fans they draw in? technical ability? what?

The best guitarist Ginger Baker ever worked with was Clapton. Sorry, but I stand by it.

I listened to Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire back to back today, and it brought back some great memories. Still to this day, Eric's sixties works brings a chill to my spine--he had a perfect blend of class, emotion, attitude and subtlety that, I'm sorry to say, Moore can't quite match. I remembered how, at the tender age of fifteen, something in my head finally clicked after listening to "Sunshine of Your Love" over and over again, and how I picked up the old, beat-up classical guitar that was just lying around after my mother had given it up decades before, and how I tried and tried until finally the riff began to slowly and painfully take shape. I cut my teeth on that record--then got a teacher who hated Clapton, decided that I should try to hate him myself, and stopped listening to him long enough for me to lose my musical direction, until just recently, in a moment of "damn-the-teacher" defiance that made me rediscover why, on a brick wall in England, a graffiti artist had tagged "Clapton is God" so many decades ago.

I apologize for the tangent.

EDIT: The title of this thread is filthy...[angry]

Fairly meaningless of course but, of the drummers and guitarists I've played with/know, more drummers rate GB than guitarists rate GM.

I've mentioned it before but it's apposite to the thread; my favourite GM track is "Jumping at Shadows" from the 'After Hours' album. It's notable for the fact that he plays with far less gain/overdrive/'flash' and shows that, when he wants to, he can play simple blues beautifully.

Off on a slight tangent; both GB and JB rate Clapton as the best they've played with.

In fairness' date=' Ginger was good, but he is more than a bit nuts these days. Read this, it might explain things a bit:[/quote']

Thanks for posting that.

Quite long but interesting.

Ginger's main gig, prior to Cream, was Jazz. Jazz is steeped in finaesse and subtlety. As is Ginger's playing.

EC has that, in his playing as well. Gary's anything BUT "subtle," IMHO. He could be...and I think his playing

would be even better, for it. He's got "chops," in spades, but lacks the finesse, and subtleness, of Clapton.

But, again...that's just my opinion.

CB

???? ?? ???????

ROFL [biggrin][lol][lol]

I agree, Ginger is a better drummer than Gary is a guitarist, don't get me wrong he can play. I'm also of the opinion that Clapton is the best guitarist that Ginger played with, like XDemon said listen to disraeli gears real quick. It's fantastic stuff, and the brilliance of it is it's not insanely fast, he uses the time to create a mood. Clapton was at his best (musically) in the 60s, with the Bluesbreakers and Cream.

EC at his "Peak," in the '60's??? I hear this, a lot, here. But, I'm sorry...I think he was just

getting a good, even great "start," in the '60's. He's has pretty much steadily improved

and experimented, too...all along. One may have "Favorite" periods, or tone preferences,

in his work, and the "Bluesbreaker's" and "Cream" era's were certainly great. But, I think

he's grown, to a much better player, overalll, during his (continuing) illustrious career.

CB

EC at his "Peak' date='" in the '60's??? I hear this, a lot, here. But, I'm sorry...I think he was just

getting a good, even great "start," in the '60's. He's has pretty much steadily improved

and experimented, too...all along. One may have "Favorite" periods, or tone preferences,

in his work, and the "Bluesbreaker's" and "Cream" era's were certainly great. But, I think

he's grown, to a much better player, overalll, during his (continuing) illustrious career.

CB[/quote']

We all have our opinions, maybe I'll just say I like his stuff from the 60's the most (excluding Further on Up the Road from the Last Waltz, that song trumps all)

Listen to disraeli gears real quick. It's fantastic stuff' date=' and the brilliance of it is it's not insanely fast, he uses the time to create a mood. Clapton was at his best (musically) in the 60s, with the Bluesbreakers and Cream.

[/quote']

I agree with that and he was fueled by two other great musicians, Jack Bruce, and Ginger Baker. I think the problem

with Cream in their later years was drugs brought them all down and then they were fighting against each other. You

can hear the tension on the live tracks of Cream's "Goodbye" album.

Whether or not GB or GM are crazy as loons, it is irrelavent to their music. GB's contribution is huge compared to GM. From what I've heard of GM, he is a great guitarest technically, and is a wonderful interpreter. Plus, he has a balls-to-the-wall, no holds barred, style. But, IMHO, he doesn't have nearly the finesse, originality, or musicality of many, e.g. Clapton. And while GM is certainly worthy of being considered great, he probably wouldn't make my top 50 list of guitarists. I'd put GB in my top 5 rock drummers.

...He's has pretty much steadily improved

and experimented' date=' too...all along...CB[/quote']

I'd agree strongly with that viewpoint.

In fact, much as I like Clapton's work on the "Beano" (and I love it), the albums of his I listen to most are 'Layla', '461 Ocean Boulevard', 'No Reason to Cry' and 'From the Cradle'.

Archived