Gibson Brands Forums

Did I just do something stupid?

GuitarJunkie

Someone has this guitar for sale. I call the guy and he tells me it's a 2005 Classic in mint condition with the original case. He said he paid $2395 for it a few years ago (which was the going canadian rate for the Classic back then) and wants $1200 firm. He's at his cottage, but his wife is there if I want to check it out. Needless to say, two minutes later I'm in the car on my way to his place with a stop at the bank to get $1200 cash. I checked and a new plain top Classic still sells for $2095 plus tax. The only reason I'm buying this is to flip it since I figure I could easily get $1600 for it if it's mint.

I get there and it's actually a 2003 with a flawless top, but buckle marks and worming over the entire back. There also a ding just through the finish on the back of the headstock and some other miscellaneous dings, scuffs and scratches. The inlays were also really (pi$$) yellow. It's not beat up, but it's far from mint. I'm thinking if I try to flip this, I'll get potential buyers pointing out all the wear and tear, plus "it's only a plain top", blah, blah... I think "Am I going to be able to unload this thing quickly?". I look in the compartment of the case (black with black lining and shroud by the way) and there's receipt from 5 months ago for $1595 ?!?!? I ask the wife if he's firm on his price. She said I'd have to call him, so (long story short) I give him a ring, mention all the "mojo" on his mint guitar and also that he paid $1595, not $2395, and offer him $1000 cash. He didn't bite.

What would you have done in my place? I could still probably get this thing if I change my mind. Here's the actual guitar...

lpc01.jpg

lpc02.jpg

lpc03.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno' date=' do you have any pics of the back with all the wear? For 1200 you could pretty much get a new Studio or a really nice epi.[/quote']

There was nothing through the finish. A lot of the scratches would probably come off with a good Virtuoso treatment, but there would still be quite a few marks.

I think your just having a gas attack.... Is this a guitar you would want to own if you can´t flip it???

It's not even a gas attack. I just saw "Gibson Les Paul Classic - $1200" and saw a chance to make a few hundred bucks quickly. I figured "mint", it would fetch around $1500 to $1600 used. In the condition it's in, would I even get $1300 to $1400? I'm sure I could, but it might take a week or two. It's not worth the risk so I'll pass.

Now, having said all that, if someone were actually looking for a 2003 Classic in Vintage Sunburst, $1200 is still a great deal. I don't think the guy was trying to pull anything as far as the age. He said he wasn't sure about the year. As far as "lying" about the condition, if I has a dollar for every "mint" guitar covered in dings and scratches, I would have had enough to give him his asking price. Sellers never seem to notice the little imperfections on their own instruments. It's almost like since they build up slowly over time, they just always seemed to be there.

He lied about the condition of the guitar. He lied about the original price.

Do the math.

+1

whos to say he isnt lying about anything else like the pickups being original, the guitar being original, him being the actual owner, and her being his wife?

maybe it is a stolen guitar... if he lied to you up front theres no way you can be sure about anything he says.

i think you did right.

I think your just having a gas attack.... Is this a guitar you would want to own if you can´t flip it???

look at his nickname... he is way beyond GAS...

Doctor: You suffer from the "GuitarJunkie syndrome".

GuitarJunkie: What does that mean? is it bad?

Doctor: We have no way to tell you yet Mr. Junkie!

I give people the benefit of starting off with a clean slate' date=' but they loose it rapidly when I catch them lying to me.

I count 3 lies; age, condition, and price. Sorry, 3 strikes and your out. Walk away and don't look back. [/quote']

I have nothing to add to that!

Not worth the money.

Good prices are for good guitars.

Worming on the back and dings mean that when you try to sell it, everybody will lose interest when they see the "character" marks it has.

It would be tough to flip, I wouldn't take the chance myself.

If it plays badass, maybe buy it to keep and play the hell out of it....

You say the inlays are piss yellow it has buckle marks and worming, that is not mint condition you wasted fuel and time and the price he paid was much less than he said, dont waste any more time on this one.

Come-on you guy's that thing is sweet and pre-2006 it should be soild and heavy.

Buy-it. Play it a while' date=' You will end up keeping-it.[/quote']

I think this is funny...you say pre-2006 as if everything post-2006 is crap. O:)

Yeah, as a player it may be great...but it might be hard to do a quick flip.

daveinspain, I love heavy guitars. If those suckers are as heavy as people say they are, my next guitar might be a Norlin.

I am screaming 3 things...

1. Classics have yellow inlays. On purpose.

2. Classics have plain tops. On purpose.

and...

3. It is NOT a Vintage Sunbusts. Mine is. See avatar.

+1 on not trusting the guy though.

Archived