Gibson Brands Forums

Maple Encounter / Maple AJs /Other Maple Gibsons

Rambler

A while back, our man Jinder likened a good maple guitar to shot of single malt scotch. Well, I had a shot today.

Got to try out a Guild G-37 (dread body, spruce top, maple b/s, 25.5). Lovley burnished tone, full but not syrupy.

No thin glass shards. The thing had a quick response. Nice thump to the bass, but didnt overwhelm the mids and

top end. This makes a great tonewood for Piedmont style plalying, where you have two lines going and want them

both to ring clear. Hogs and rose often have too much going on (my 000) in the high and low ends, respectively.

I neglected to strum it but the brushes I gave on full cords and a nice quality to them, full and round.

Downside, Im not a bid fan of dread-size bodies or 25.5 so its not going to follow me home. But its a good pointer to

what you can get from a maple guitar.

I own two maple body guitars - both laminated. A 1960 Gibson J-200 and a 1955 Epi FT-79. I, however, like my '56 SJ and late 1950s Harmony Sovereign (both mahogany body guitars - the Sovereign with an Adi top) better. The reason -you called it - the mids.

Any of you all out there that have a maple AJ or J45' date=' I'd appreciate it if you would, ahem, chime in on the qualities of those guitars. J [/quote']

I've got a maple AJ, though it's short scale, so its also akin to a maple J45 in a way, too. It sounds like you'd imagine, I think: full blooded, like a Gibson slope, but with hightened fundamentals. The bass is not lacking, but its not as deep or warm as my mahogany slope Gibsons. Its a little more wiry. If I had to describe the guitar in a word, I'd say "crisp."

Red 333

Any of you all out there that have a maple AJ or J45' date=' I'd appreciate it if you would, ahem, chime in on the qualities of those guitars. J [/quote']

A shop nearby has a 2007 maple AJ that I spent some decent time with. Beautiful guitar. Overall, I liked the dryness of the guitar, but the downside for me was the thin, edgy trebles. Not to my liking at all. Overall, it wasn't as powerful or lively as the most of the traditional (rosewood) AJs that I've played. From a player's perspective, I'd take the rosewood model. However from a collectors's point of view, I'm guessing that the full body (top/back/sides) sunburst looks nice enough that it could justify a purchase.

Standard disclaimer: this was just one example. Tone-wise, Russ Barenburg's maple J-45 is one of my all-time favorite examples (of course Russ' playing has a bit to do with it). You never know.

All the best,

Guth

...but the downside for me was the thin' date=' edgy trebles.[/quote']

An ivory saddle will calm those trebles down right away. It's dense but soft and it marvelously smoothes the edges off the high strings. I highly recommend this change out to anyone looking to soften and mellow the high end of their guitar.

Fred' date=' that SJ of yours really got my attention. I'd love to have one of those.

Sitka or Adirondack top ?[/quote']

Adirondack spruce top -- loud guitar. Sounded like it was 10 years old straight out of the case. Gibson at its best!

Fred

Here is my 1993 Taylor 612C. It was my first great guitar and it has only gotten better over the years. It is a small Grand concert body size but does feature a full 25.5" scale. The newer models of the 612 that Taylor makes (all 600 series guitars are standard Sitka top and Maple b/s) are a short scale which many prefer... although, I am one that prefers the longer scale for my alternate tunings.

There is nothing "thin" about the sound of this guitar. It is full with deep base response and a treble attack that can cut through any mix if miked or amped properly. I have played this guitar in several different band situations and never had a problem being heard. I personally feel that Maple is one of the best "Stage" type acoustic guitars you can get if you are in a band. The quicker attack and decay just simiply allows the guitar to be heard even in a full band mix.

PICT3385.jpg

PICT3386.jpg

PICT3389.jpg

I've got a maple AJ' date=' though it's short scale, so its also akin to a maple J45 in a way, too. It sounds like you'd imagine, I think: full blooded, like a Gibson slope, but with hightened fundamentals. The bass is not lacking, but its not as deep or warm as my mahogany slope Gibsons. Its a little more wiry. If I had to describe the guitar in a word, I'd say "crisp."

Red 333[/quote']

Hey Red would love to see a picture of this AJ.

any dove owners out there?

I've got a friend who has two Montana Doves. One is a special edition that has the most outrageous flamey maple back and sides as well as a maple neck that is an unbelieveable looking piece of wood.

I wish I could get him to post pictures of the two.

"There is nothing "thin" about the sound of this guitar. It is full with deep base response and a treble attack that can cut through" Yeh, that's what I was hearing in that Guild. Now, there are some J45's Ive played that definitely sounded thin to my ear, akin to a strat stuck on the rear pickup. The Guild was honey, more like a P90. Oddly, the only recent J185 I got my hands didnt jump out at me the same way. Not as big a note and too lush --time for J185 owners to chime in.

I don't own a maple J185 but my playing partner has bought one recently. Apart from being a beautifully put together and looking guitar, the sound is quite different to my rw SWD. It's a great combo though when playing together.

Some may recall my cheesecake analogy i.e. lemon vs double chocolate. The maple is pure, clean and sweet without being complex and syrupy. The quicker attack and decay, as observed by Taylor Player, is very noticeable against my SWD and one of my favourite features of maple. It makes me break into Pinball Wizard every time I pick it up.

If you met a girl called "Maple" she would live next door. You would instantly fall in love with her pure, uncomplicated, intelligent, charm. She would expect great things from you but would never be demanding.

Better stop there before I get referred to another forum!

I have a maple SJ:

IMGP1989.jpg

IMGP1982.jpg

....and it is a great guitar!

Surprisingly' date=' not brash or overly bright as some maple guitars can be -- deep, resonant, marvellous bass, crystal clear trebles.

Fred[/quote']

This is a good description of my Maple AJ. It has surpassed my SWD as my favorite Bozeman guitar.

I have two maple/Adirondack guitars. One is this 1936 L-Century:

2553829760033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

2679513470033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

The other is this 2006 Kim Walker SJ, which is J-185 sized. as you can see, it features Kim's hand-rubbed, not sprayed, "Loarburst":

188_std.jpg

191_std.jpg

189_std.jpg

inmho, maple is a fantastic tonewood in the right hands. Gibson has always known how to build a maple guitar. Again, inmho, Kim Walker has taken maple flattop guitars to a whole, 'nother level.

Man, some beauties being posted. Love to see 'em.

I really like the maple tone - the highs are clear and more defined without giving up too much on the low end. Here's a couple of mine -

SJ-200 MC - solid maple back and sides

08GibsonSJ200front2.jpg

08GibsonSJ200backsm.jpg

Guild X-700 - solid maple sides, maple lam archback (solid sitka carved top - Westerly)

96GuildX-700sm.jpg

96GuildX-700bk-sm.jpg

Guild F412 - solid maple sides, maple lam archback (Tacoma)

GuildF412sm.jpg

GuildF412bk-sm.jpg

Archived