Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite Combo Amp

Californiaman

It sort of depends.

The Deluxe Reverb is ideal for practice and rehearsals.

The Vibrolux Reverb (I had to look twice at that picture of a Vibrolux non-reverb) is great for medium gigs and the Pro Reverb is right for larger gigs.

The Henriksen JazzAmp is great when I need to get somewhere without a car.

And I have a homebrew 5E3 but I'm not sure what to do with it yet.

R

You know what I'm talking about' date=' right? 5E3 Deluxe with a Celestion Blue Alnico and Solid Maple Cabinet.

Yeah you do. Whatcha got? Come one now. Whatcha got?

[img']http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj438/Californiaman5/Snapshot2010-08-0713-39-03.jpg[/img]

Snapshot2010-06-2520-33-33.jpg

+1(bajillion). The 5E3 is my favorite amp PERIOD! Although mine has a pine cab and a WGS "Reaper" speaker..

Victoria 35115

OK, maybe not my all time favorite, but I have had the pleasure of using one of these at a show. Deliciously bright with plenty of sweet highs from a 15" combo? Hell yes. This is one handwired beauty. The one I played was not tweed, more of an oatmeal colored tolex.

35115_front1.jpg?1180920347

While my Fender '57 Deluxe is a great amp. Killer 6V6 clean tones. Touch sensitivity. Loud as hell.

I do enjoy my Fender Two-Tone Amp with the dual speaker configuration (10"x12") in a larger solid pine box, EL-84 Blues Jr. circuit, and reverb. The fat switch is an added bonus in that it really gives the amp a sonic boost.

53110020.jpg

Snapshot2010-01-2515-33-31.jpg

Biggest mistake I ever made was swapping the Deluxe Reverb in the mid '70s for this big twin-speaker 120-watter I have right now that never leaves the house 'cuz I don't need the power nor the strained muscles. The company (AIMS) doesn't exist now, but I'll tell you, it's a helluva great amp for a band in about any size venue and it's aok as a solo amp 'cuz you can even run a mike through a separate channel - and it was designed for that.

I dunno, never had any problem making enough noise for the era with the DR - and that included a mid 60s' big auditorium show. Of course the audience expectations weren't what they are now. But even nowadays, it could be miked and still give me sound I like. It even works as that solo mike and guitar function in a small saloon or coffeehouse gig.

Alas... I now have a little 10-inch speaker 30-watt Kustom acoustic amp that is incredibly versatile for small solo gigs and even for recording my practice sessions. Separate channels for mike and guitar. In a way it's my favorite. I don't really know if I'd use a DR as much overall nowadays since it doesn't have that "line-out" option - and I don't need anywhere near the amount of sound anywhere I've played lately. In fact, I'm not sure I'd not just as soon run the little Kustom even a PA in a bigger joint though it's SS 'stedda tube if I were in a group; I'd struggle with the big mamajamma if it were a solo gig somewhere big if they didn't have a decent house pa.

I think with just a 12-inch speaker for a little more lows, the Kustom would make it as is with my multi-effect box added mostly for thickness. I've used it in a solo situation in a 500-plus size theater stage environment and never turned it anywhere near half way...

m

Archived