Gibson Brands Forums

The Used Guitar Post Sale

The_Sentry

:D

It probably goes without saying that at least a few folks here have purchased a used guitar or two over the years. Recently, I just bought one myself (the flame top in the avatar), and this isn't the first used guitar I've bought.

When I got the guitar home, I have to admit that one of the first things I did.....was to clean the guitar thoroughly....and no, we're not talking about wiping it down. I restrung it, oiled the fretboard, reset the action....basically the whole works. And no, it didn't necessarily need all that....but I still did it.

I think part of this was more of a subconscious urge than something done out of practicality. To put it into words, I guess the thought process was along the lines of "This guitar is mine now. No one's gonna touch this guitar with any sort of regularity but me. And....I need to wipe out as much evidence of the previous owner as possible."

It was akin to trying to "wipe the old owner off of the guitar".

Ever find yourself doing this? I know I'm sort of a strange dude, but is this going a bit far?

It's a must-do thing.

First Things First

Set-up and string change

then add the goodies.

I usually try to follow what are some of the best suggested parts/tones and then some

of what every forum member has experienced or suggested would be 'best'

and pictures of guitars that I thought mine resembled and try to make it closer to that Target.

I sure as hell wouldn't have been able to get those answers from a Guitar Center Dude,

so In all Honesty...

thanks Epiphone Forum Members (and a kudos to HCEG forum as well)for all the advice and hard knocks.

8-[

It probably goes without saying that at least a few folks here have purchased a used guitar or two over the years. Recently' date= I just bought one myself (the flame top in the avatar), and this isn't the first used guitar I've bought.

When I got the guitar home, I have to admit that one of the first things I did.....was to clean the guitar thoroughly....and no, we're not talking about wiping it down. I restrung it, oiled the fretboard, reset the action....basically the whole works. And no, it didn't necessarily need all that....but I still did it.

I think part of this was more of a subconscious urge than something done out of practicality. To put it into words, I guess the thought process was along the lines of "This guitar is mine now. No one's gonna touch this guitar with any sort of regularity but me. And....I need to wipe out as much evidence of the previous owner as possible."

It was akin to trying to "wipe the old owner off of the guitar".

Ever find yourself doing this? I know I'm sort of a strange dude, but is this going a bit far?[/quote]

I always do this, although not necessarily for the same reasons. I'll strip it down, give it a good clean, check which parts, if any, need replacing, then re-string it and give it a good thrashing.

Of the 7 guitars I own, 4 were bought new. The last used one I bought used was an '06 LP Jr. which had to be cleaned straight away. I've never seen so much gunk accumulated on a fretboard before!

I buy and sell a lot of used guitars and they all get the same treatment. Some of these things are freakin disgusting when I get 'em. I'd hate to see how these people live if they let a guitar get that nasty.

Hmm.. Thought everyone did that! I even do it with new guitars. One just doesn't know where or for how long a guitar has been sitting. It's the best way to get to know your guitar inside and out. And it makes it more "mine", if that makes any sense.

Reminds me of one time my good friend and jam buddy stayed with me for a month. He bought a couple of his guitars, a '60's Jag and '70's Tele, two beautiful axes. He was out to work one day, so, of course, I just had to play them. Well, these were the filthiest guitars I'd ever layed hands on! I couldn't even continue playing them without giving them each a thorough cleaning.

When he got home, he picked up his Jag and was like.. "Wow! What happened? My guitar feels awesome! What'd you do?"

Of course, he hasn't cleaned them since then.

I buy and sell a lot of guitars too....and they all get a complete setup with cleaning and lemon oil on the rosewood or ebony boards. I'll also do a light fret dressing to most of them. It's par for the course as far as I'm concerned. I agree with TheX I've seen some pretty grungy axes...but then again I've scored some great deals over a little dirt and neglect too!

Hmm.. Thought everyone did that! I even do it with new guitars. One just doesn't know where or for how long a guitar has been sitting. It's the best way to get to know your guitar inside and out. And it makes it more "mine"' date=' if that makes any sense.

Reminds me of one time my good friend and jam buddy stayed with me for a month. He bought a couple of his guitars, a '60's Jag and '70's Tele, two beautiful axes. He was out to work one day, so, of course, I just had to play them. Well, these were the filthiest guitars I'd ever layed hands on! I couldn't even continue playing them without giving them each a thorough cleaning.

When he got home, he picked up his Jag and was like.. "Wow! What happened? My guitar feels awesome! What'd you do?"

Of course, he hasn't cleaned them since then.[/quote']

Well, as for the tele, as nice blonde tele looks damn good with some dirt and wear, but it shouldn't get in the way of playing.

But a jag looks fine clean.

Fenders are wierd.

I think we all do the same thing. My bandmate is the same as listed above cleans nothing. I pick up his guitars and yuck! How the hell do you play this thing? Always get the same "I'm here to play not clean." answer.

I used to be that way in college and never clean or change strings but they were just tools then and I was into other things girls, drinking and oh yeah school. Now I tend to keep my stuff well cleaned and tuned. I can tell now if the intonation is even a bit off and get out the tuner and screwdriver.

I don't clean them every time I play, but straight from the store and every time I change strings I give them the whole deal: fretboard, PUs neck and body. Do the mist and whipe inbetween string changes.

I played with a guy.. and I wouldn't mention that he's polish but the b(*&^(*rd would eat cooked cabbage before a gig.. imagine the ride home!!

anyway.. his les paul was a total mess.

his sweat was soooo acid it just ate right through the plating.. all the screw heads on the pickup rings and the poles were black..

forget about the bridge saddles and much of the chrome there.. just as if someone had chipped away at it.

I had no idea a person sweat could do that much damage to a guitar.. but there it was..

so.. pay attention to your sweat.. and how often you clean your guitar ought to be guaged by how much effect that has.

I always wonderd what the PH of that guys P was. *L*

I bet he could write his name on carbon fiber!

Definitely. The only question is how much damage will you be required to fix? It's unbelievable what some people do to their guitars and even worse are the 'stopgap' repairs that they pull off.. wire fixed by twisting them together and then taping them, for example. No, a good overhaul is the only way to find and erase all the horrors.

I buy most of my gear used (gibson lp, tele, 2 ds-1's, wah, amp (the amp was a demo, but kinda considered used), among other stuff). When I got the gibby, I cleaned it off really good. But with the tele, I could obviously tell it wasn't used too much, so I don't think I cleaned it for a good week. It just depends on the condition I received it in.

I'm one that does it on used and new. I usually swap strings immediately (within 24 hours). I did a quick cleaning on the Wildkat, but a full cleaning will be done soon along with a string change.

I've purchased five guitars this year (2 new, 3 used). The used go through a much thorough cleaning, where the new go through more of a preventative maintenance procedure.

My 97 Sheraton arrived in very good shape, with new strings and very clean, so I left it as-is and have enjoyed having a new guitar. That way in a few months I can strip the hardware back to chrome, do the electrics (expect an order Twang) and send it to a local luthier for a bone nut and a professional setup, and I'll be excited all over again.

It is part of claiming the guitar as your own.

As with most of you, the "new" (and new) guitar gets the full treatment.

My tele was intuned perfectly when I got it, but I still got out the tuner and 'driver and tweaked - and then tweaked back to the original intonation. But now it was set by ME.

ICH

Archived