Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone else sense something not quite right about this guitar?

I would absolutely never presume to call out a guitar or an auction that might possibly be a fake or a hoax without concrete proof of it being so. I don't know though. Something about this auction just tells me that all is not as it should be here. Rather than go out on a limb and make accusations and challenges about this auction I thought it best that the good people of this form draw their own individual conclusions to form a consensus of opinions about this E Bay offering.

In all fairness the seller has impeccable feedback, he's a long term E Bay member and he's willing to sell through PayPal. True enough that his description is a bit wonky and appears to have been pulled from the anal orifice of a wood sprite but one senses a genuine honesty there...and honesty that says..."I don't have a single clue about this guitar...I just happen to have come across it and hope to turn it for the most money I can get. There's actually a lot of truth and accuracy in that description...it just isn't presented in an understandable, cohesive form and the truth and accuracy isn't necessarily about the auction product....Anyway...I thought we'd have some fun...I in no way mean to suggest that it is my stated opinion that the guitar in the auction is a fake, a fraud or that the auction or seller is perpetrating any kind of deception. So.....what does everyone else think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320276818868&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

I'm always suspicious when the photos are all so fuzzy you can't tell what a label is saying. That headstock is ridiculous.

On another note, ebay currently has a Disney Pirates of the Caribbean Epiphone Les Paul for sale. If it had Johnny Depp on the front, I might consider it.

In short' date=' he ruined it by putting the Gibson decal on the peghead. That alone discredits him.[/quote']

I think what discredits him is simply mentioning "Epiphone." There's no mention of Epiphone on the guitar, and unless you recognized the headstock as an Epi, why would you think it's not a Gibson?

](*,) What does the sticker in the Guitar read? ....and serial # isn't exposed. Get the serial # and write Gibson, they will tell you.

Gibson sold Epiphone to japan back in the 70s and there were a LOT of guitars made that were American, but they put a Japan sticker on them as they were sold or issued as replacements AFTER the takeover and became their inventory stock and could not show a USA mfg. in the trademark. Made in USA were Gibsons only at that junction.

..there were also proto-types made for Japan to consider as a new line. I know, I had a 12 string that Gibson replaced as the neck warped on the one I sent in for warrenty...and a letter came with it. Didn't sound like any Japan one which was on the shelf about a year latter. Even the wood was a bit different and the mother of pearl inlay wasn't even perfect, nor the varnish; but, the sound was unmistakable...I'm sorry I sold it, but need to eat....

What I'm trying to say is that when they sell out or purchase companies, there ARE Variants. The new company or Gibson tries to move all stock, its only business.... ...

Again a serial # should give you the lead you need to verify....

Old English composition guide and Resturant kitchen law: If in doubt, leave it out..........

This thread or ebay listing makes no mention of either Britney or her custody battle' date=' therefore since it displays no concern for what is important in our culture, I would say the point is kind of moot.[/quote']

It's still too tragic for me to talk about.

If suspicious, email him and ask for clearer pictures of the areas in question - if he can't or won't provide, walk away.

As for seller/buyer rating, that really carries very little relevance anymore since eBay protects them from damaging feedback.

My eBay days are over due to a run in with them, but I spot some nice deals that make me wish I kept my account open. However when them and PayPal make unauthorized withdrawals from two bank accounts and owe me $32, it's a little tough to do business with them

since I can't contact buyers or sellers anymore, if someone else does, I would be interested in hearing or seeing the response.

It's still too tragic for me to talk about.

I do understand. Perhaps the original poster can explain' date=' why he would not show proper concern for such delicate matters of what was once such an innocent and fragile little flower.:-k

default_eusa_wall.gif

I sent him a question, asking for a better photo of the label, how many screws were in the truss rod cover, and if there was a serial number.

From the bad pictures, it almost looks like the label actually says "Epiphone USA." It has the slanted writing, and tiny writing underneath, like the headstock of the Epiphone-branded Spirit.

I'm pretty sure it has a three-screw truss rod cover, but the pictures don't show it clearly.

I've got ten or so sets of those tuners.

You can guess why I have that many sets of the same tuners taken off other guitars, I think.

I'm gonna make some cheap lap steels and maybe an autoharp or something with 'em.

I would think it's an epi.. with a gibson decal.. I can see why someone would do that.. you know there are insecure epi owners. *G*

I think he's being honest, but just isn't all that knowledgeable about the guitar.

But.. 199.00 for a used modified epiphone with bad tuners.. ?

solid top, laminated?

we don't know, he doesn't say.

Probably just a kid with little awareness of the problem his ad presents to more informed people.

I quit even mocking fender headstocks.. even though it's much harder to sell a guitar of that style without it.

and never made a fender or any other decal.

For me, that has to be the personal decision and action of the owner, not someone selling the piece.

I used to have a Bradely Fender P bass copy.. I sanded off the Bradely decal and mocked one up in fender style print..

when you got up close you could see it said....

"No, It's Not".

*S*

TWANG

This thread or ebay listing makes no mention of either Britney or her custody battle' date=' therefore since it displays no concern for what is important in our culture, I would say the point is kind of moot.[/quote']

I completely concur and apologize for not having acted more responsibly in making my post. You are absolutely correct, everything else pales in relevance compared to the trials and tribulations of the single most important American icon today. I offer my copiously profuse (wasn't Copiously Profuse a Pink Floyd song on The Wall...IIIIII III have become...copiusly profuse)? apologies and beg the forgiveness of the forum and of Ms. Spears. You're in my thoughts Babe, keep up the good fight.

BSPEARSDRIVE0605_33_502.jpg

and drive safely..

[quote=jozluck Gibson sold Epiphone to japan back in the 70s....

Gibson never SOLD Epiphone. Gibson stopped the manufacture of Epiphones in the US and subcontracted (or moved) production to Japan (and later Korea, China, Indonesia, etc).

You sir' date=' are a gentleman AND a scholar and all is forgiven.[/quote']

I am honored and flattered by your kind words and awestruck by your magnanimity.

britney_spears.jpg

What do you mean, you have serious concerns about my mental stability? Where are my babies? When can I see my babies?

Ahhh, everything your mom told you to look for in a woman.

1) Clean, well kept hair (top and bottom)

2) Always prepared (carries an umbrella for a rainy day)

3) Stands up for what she believes is right, no matter how wrong she may be.

4) knows where to score the good drugs.

We luv you Brittney, oh yes we do.

I, for one, get your point, Al. This guitar is an obvious fake (hoax? joke?), whereas

the "vintage" SG discussed in the other thread had no obvious indications, and the only

reasons the original poster of the fake SG thread was suspicious was the seller's contact

instructions and payment conditions. In the auction you cited, one can only see that the

dreadnought is a joke - the seller's knowledge and motives cannot be determined.

I' date=' for one, get your point, Al. [i']This[/i] guitar is an obvious fake (hoax? joke?), whereas

the "vintage" SG discussed in the other thread had no obvious indications, and the only

reasons the original poster of the fake SG thread was suspicious was the seller's contact

instructions and payment conditions. In the auction you cited, one can only see that the

dreadnought is a joke - the seller's knowledge and motives cannot be determined.

Exactly.

LOL! Do we HAVE a "Culture" in the country...except what they grow in petri dishes,

at the CDC?! ;>b

CB

Nice tuners. LOL' date=' Al.[/quote']

Was going to say the same thing. In the "Plant move" they ran out of stock tuners and had to import some on a guitar to put that decal onto. They look like the stock tuners that came on my PR715 from back around 87 or 88. My headstock looked nothing like that though. If I remember right I replaced them to Shallers soon after buying it.

I' date=' for one, get your point, Al. [i']This[/i] guitar is an obvious fake (hoax? joke?), whereas

The seller's motive is the same as every other eBay seller: to sell something. It's which tactics a seller uses to sell (hype, lies, spin, incomplete information, parsing words, obfuscation, truthfulness, free shipping, free gift, low price, scarcity, collectibility, etc.) that you ALWAYS have to question.

Red 333

Archived