Gibson Brands Forums

Cherryburst vs Honeyburst

mr.chEn

ive been going back and forward between both sunburst models and am still not sure which one to get..

i guess ill take it in your hands to let me decide.. as i love both and have no idea which one to pick

is it true that the honeyburst color was originally seen from aged cherry sunburst les pauls?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted a Tobacco Sunburst but when I tried it it didn't sound too good so ended up with a honeyburst (sounded much better) and no regrets great looking and not so shiney as it's a faded version.

whichever sounds/plays/feels better

i dont much care for the new cherrybursts, but i love the washed cherry's and iced tea's on the historic models. perhap get the cherry and leave her in the sun ....just remember to cover the fretboard!

Go with cherry. If you don't like it, cover the neck and sun bath it.

A Heriatage Cherry guitar will turn Iced Tea after a while. Just the way it is, red fades more than any other colour.

If you're looking for a good book "Beauty of the Burst" is worth picking up. Full of pics too!!

Cherry eventually fades to Iced Tea. Iced Tea eventually fades to Lemonburst.

does anybody have pictures of their before and after lp cherry sunburst classics after this "sun bathing" idea? it sounds logical to me, but im not about to start letting a 2 thousand dollar guitar melt in the sun until ive got some photos, or at least testimony

I have an idea: Go to a guitar store blindfolded (bring a friend) and have a friend give you one of each color to try out' date=' when you find the one that plays and sounds the best take off the blindfold and buy that one.[/quote']

Let the guitar choose you! Great idea!

whichever sounds/plays/feels better

i dont much care for the new cherrybursts' date=' but i love the washed cherry's and iced tea's on the historic models. [b']perhap get the cherry and leave her in the sun ....just remember to cover the fretboard[/b]!

Would that even effect the finish?

This depends on which honey burst you're talking about. if its the beautiful one on the LP standard (as pictured to the left) then take it. Heritage Cherry is vintage Les Paul and is quite nice, but in my opinion it doesn't look right without the creme pickguard. (like on the LP Traditional, for example.) On the other hand, if this Honey Burst is the one on the classic antique, take the cherry. I've seen both finishes on the Standard in person (played both, too) and the honey burst is way better. (not to say the cherry isn't nice, but it leaves a lot to be desired.) In the end its your choice of course, just don't do something you'll end up hating yourself over.

Archived