Gibson Brands Forums

We all have GAS, what about buyers remorse?

Nic

I like everything when I buy it, but sometimes I get to actually using it and then, I don't know it doesn't work out.

Some I know I can never use in my current band setting and some I seldom use for recording on my own so those are the ones that tend to go. I have a small collection of untouchables the rest I like but I'm not in love with.

Plus it has been fun to own a lot of different things through the years. My only regret is my 68 Gibson 335 with Bigsby. That is the only one I have ever wanted back or missed.

I thought of another one. Several years ago, I bought a D'Angelico Excel-DC (a 335 clone) for about $1,400. From having looked at forums and Harmony Central, I was under the impression that it was a high-end Japanese 335 type of guitar. When I received it, it looked more like a Korean guitar (very thick poly finish), and the label inside the f-hole confirmed that it was made in Incheon, South Korea. At $1,400, it has to be one of the most expensive Korean guitars around, and its quality doesn't seem to be on a par with Elitists.

Korean, huh? Gosh, I thought sure they'd be Japanese...of "Elitist" quality.

Especially, for that price! ;>O But, I've only seen photos, of the D'Angelico's,

so I have no experience, beyond that, with them. They did Look like great

guitars. Live and learn!

Was that the model, that Susan Tedeschi was using, on the last "Crossroads

Festival" DVD (in the Chicago area)? You know, come to think of it...I think her's

was a "New Yorker" SS, model.

CB

I'll tell ya, when I bought my first G-400 I was in a rather tight financial situation and back in 2000 a G-400 cost a lot more than it does today. However I wanted one so bad as I figured it was an affordable alternative to the Gibson SG '62 (as the reissue was called in those days) and I also assumed it would be as accurate a replica as my Samick made Les Paul Classic was. So after saving and squirreling away for months the day finally came when I could march into the local music store and put in my order for one Epiphone G-400 in cherry. Unfortunately I got a chance to examine the 'real' SG '62 a few months later and needless to say there was a loud popping sound as that particular bubble burst. Buyer's remorse indeed; I got rid of it not soon after, and forgot about getting a decent sixties SG until the advent of the Elitists a couple of years later.

I've always found a musical use for whatever axe I end up with. I've never felt buyer's remorse so much as I've later outgrown a particular instrument.

My ex once gave me a '67 Ric 366/12 for my birthday (no, she wasn't my ex at the time); had I paid real money for it, I would have been pretty remorseful. I ended up giving it to her son for his birthday.

Others that palled as the years went rolling by: Carvin LB20 (good sound, stupid ergonomics), '63 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gent (good player, very pretty, but with peculiar tone controls).

On the other hand, I have felt NON-buyer's remorse: that I bought the Gretsch instead of a Gibson ES-347, and that I passed on a blond Gibson ES-340 in the '80s because $500 was just too much money for a guitar! (Sort of happy ending: a friend bought it and I see it every week when we jam. Sort of happy, because damn it's pretty but it's his, not mine.)

Fender 60th Ann. MIM Strat' date=' love the Tex -Mex pups for tone but very low output. Too many tuning issues so I turned it into a hardtail that helped somewhat. I just cant warm up to the neck, not to mention compared to a set neck this thing has no sustain. I've played $1300 Strats that did'nt have as much sustain as my 56 reissue Epi., so I'm going to mod this Strat or sell it,I have'nt decided yet. I said it before in another thread, I wish someone would build an LP body that sounds like a Strat, are you listening Epiphone?[/quote']

But from what you're describing, you don't want it to sound like a strat. Strats are low output and virtually no typical strat that sounds like a Strat will have the sustain of a Les Paul. Like you said, even an expensive American Standard or reissue won't have the sustain of an Epi Les Paul.

Strats and Les Pauls are just very different beasts. I have a MIM 60th and a 1984 Fullerton '57 Reissue Strat (that I bought new) and the 60th hangs right in there with the '57. And the '57 cost as much more than 20 years ago as the MIM 60th did two years ago! I can understand it not being your thing, but the MIM 60th is a fairly typical Strat, so it sounds like a lot of your dislikes are with the model itself.

My biggest buyers remorse was a Fender Telecaster Custom Reissue. It was one of the older Japanese made ones (this was around 1992) but we just never bonded. Traded it away, but I don't even remember what for now.

I have constant guilt....I can only play one at a time.....buy them and then find out that they are no better than what I already had or that even tho they got good reviews...no one reviewed the one I actually bought.

Luckily the Epi LS Studio is the best one of all and there is another on the way. 10 days away. I have Two Iban's: one being customized with a new paint and finish, one sitting as art work and the worst buy of all......1990 CF Martin Stinger ST-2. Hard to find good information on that one, but it got great reviews....mine is better left alone in the corner to simply represent the Strat style by looks only. Never stays in tune, sounds like crap. Spent $75 which is not bad but then again that is $75 that could have gone towards a Gibson LP...oh the guilt....!

I seem to have buyers remorse everytime I buy a "blue" guitar. The first guitar I ever owned only lasted for a couple of hours. It was a blue"St George" that was nothing more than a blue painted board with a neck and pickups attached. I was only 14 at the time and my dad took it back to the store and got me a refund- (that was in 1963!). Then he gave me 20 bucks so that I could get a black silvertone single cutaway ES335 wanaby that I still have today (although it got repainted and is now a purple sunburst!) after a faulty case latch let the guitar bounce a couple of times on the street.

Next remorseful purchase was a Gibson Sapphire Gem Studio LP. Just have never liked the neck on this guitar and would have been better off getting the EPI LP version with a slim taper neck at 1/3 the price!

I have had more sellers remorse than buyers remorse though. I am still upset that I sold a couple of pristine VOX teardrops WITH case for $150 each!! I have sworn that I will NEVER SELL ANOTHER GUITAR unless I need the money FOR FOOD!!

Just thought of another case of remorse, both ways, as a buyer AND a seller. Back in the 70s I thought it would be great to get a VOX Superbeatle amp-Nice high wattage, three channels of outputs, real oldstyle classic. Figured to use it to replace a couple of amps that we were using on our gigs and have it double up as a recording amp. Picked up a nice clean used one at a local music store for about $500. Problem was, it was SO BIG that I had to take the back seat out of my Camaro to transport it and at lower volumns, it was so hissy that it sounded like Niagara Falls when there was no signal coming in!! It was absolutely worthless for recording the light rock music we wrote and played. I ultimately sold it at for a $50 profit to save my back and hearing.

Just thought of another case of remorse' date=' both ways, as a buyer AND a seller. Back in the 70s I thought it would be great to get a VOX Superbeatle amp-Nice high wattage, three channels of outputs, real oldstyle classic. Figured to use it to replace a couple of amps that we were using on our gigs and have it double up as a recording amp. Picked up a nice clean used one at a local music store for about $500. Problem was, it was SO BIG that I had to take the back seat out of my Camaro to transport it and at lower volumns, it was so hissy that it sounded like Niagara Falls when there was no signal coming in!! It was absolutely worthless for recording the light rock music we wrote and played. I ultimately sold it at for a $50 profit to save my back and hearing.[/quote']

Crap, that sounds kind of liek the issues I'm having with my fender twin NOW...

Good thing it has the option of removing two of the 6L6s and running at 50 watts...

I'm afraid seller's remorse is a way bigger deal. Like the Gibsons I sold 40 years

ago.

I can relate. I cringe everytime I think of the guitars I've sold or given away over the years as my interest waxed and waned. :- Rest assured, that isn't about to happen again

I haven't gotten to that point yet but I based on what you all are saying I'm going to try and hang onto everything. Who knows' date=' they might be worth something eventually :)

(or not([/quote']

If you're like a lot of other lefties I've met, Roswell.....the chances are pretty good that guitars are going to go to your place to die....ie, they aren't going anywhere.

:)

I've been playing since 1985, and just THIS year I got rid of a lefthanded electric (Ibanez RG 550 with a Floyd Rose.) I don't regret it at all. I'm really happy with my Epiphones....(and prior to that? It was always the rightie guitars flipped upside down....other than my first electric, which most people have fond memories of, eh, no regrets as far as electrics go...)

Archived