Gibson Brands Forums

Feed me some Blues Riffs/Songs!

Geetar_Axl

Man I love the Blues, many, MANY people would be surprised to hear that about me. Its got so much god damn feeling, it spews emotion. And I need some songs and riffs!

I did hear one of Slash's Snakepits songs. Something Working...I dunno but it was powerfull, yet slow and simple.

Hit me up with em'!

BTW, does anyone know that song Gibson use of the media sample for the Les Paul Standard on the USA website?

Well, from some of our well kown heros, there's Since I've Been Loving You and Tea For One by Led Zep. There's a great take on an old classic Key To the Highway on Claptons Deric and the Dominos album. Him and Duane Allman do some great give and take stuff with Duane of course on slide.

Going way back you got :

Elmore James - Dust My Broom (an even older Rober Johnson song)

The Things I Used To Do - Guitar Slim

Ridin In The Moonlight - Howlin Wolf

Hide Away - Freddie King

Man I could go on forever? Don't forget Lonnie Mack with his Gibson Flying V! A Strat isn't the only guitar for the blues!

There's a lot of great players out there. Check out Muddy Waters, BB King, Freddie King, John Lee Hooker, Junior Watson, Coco Montoya, and Walter Trout. Here's a very cool video of Rick Holmstrom that I really dig:

Not exactly blues, but also check out Booker T & the MGs with Steve Cropper on guitar.

"Just a good man feelin bad"

Howlin Wolf is on my cd player right now. Smokestack lightning. Thats Evil, Killing Floor, the list goes on and on.

I love the blues. It didnt speak to me untill I was in my late 20's....but now its my standard.

You want blues playing?...You want tone, feel, drive and emotion?

Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Nobody does it better.

Man I love the Blues, many, MANY people would be surprised to hear that about me. Its got so much god damn feeling, it spews emotion. And I need some songs and riffs!

I did hear one of Slash's Snakepits songs. Something Working...I dunno but it was powerfull, yet slow and simple.

Hit me up with em'!

Check out this "Blues" lineups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_wMslbxwOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijHA2BAguXI

PEACE

Right now:

Sean Costello (RIP)

R.L. Burnside

J.L. Hooker

The Black Keys for some simple dirty blues rock

My lady has some John Mayer live stuff and wow that dude can play. He covers some SRV almost to the T and has a number of good originals. He's not all pop for 14 year old girls and child molesters after all.

Blues: Robert Johnson, BB King, Albert King, Feddie King, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy,

Early Jeff Beck, EC, Hendrix....

Most (all) modern players are derivitve of those...and other older Blues players. That's not a

"dis," on current players, it's just a fact.

BB King invented most of the "licks" modern players used...and the vibrato, especially, out of

necessity...he couldn't play "Slide" like his his cousin Bukka White, so he simulated it, by

inventing his signature style, which everyone else, then copied. But, you're quite right...

most of the "Blues" comes from within!

CB

Muddy Waters! Its more voice driven but there is some awesome licks in there.

I have a old Muddy Waters album called I'm Ready with awsome guitar and harp plaing on it. If I'm not mistaken, Johnny Winter is playing much, if not all of the guitar. Highly recommend.

Just to name a very few: John Mayall's Bluesbreakes with Eric Clapton (AKA "The Beano Album")

BB King, "Live At The Regal," Super Session (Al Kooper, Mike Bloomfield, Stephan Stills), "Electric Flag,"

(Mike Bloomfield, Buddy Miles, Barry Goldberg, Harvey Brooks, Nick Gravenites, and assorted others),

Paul Butterfield Blues band, with either (or both) Mike Bloomfield, Elvin Bishop... And, of course, many, many,

Albert King, BB King, Freddy King, CD's. "Damn Right I got the Blues," by Buddy Guy is good, as is his "greatest

hits" CD....

BLues Rock....(original)Yardbirds, Hendrix, Cream, Allman Brothers, Humble Pie, Ten Years After (Alvin Lee)...etc.

Also, more "rhythm & blues" maybe, but the first few "Chicago" albums/CD's, with Terry Kath, on

guitar! Monster guitar player!

CB

check out Graham Hine on YouTube some good stuff and several on a electric guitar he made years back shaped like a rocket ship like this one

Something cool about a english guy playing delta style blues and slide on a homemade electric guitar:d/

EDIT almost missed my chance to answer yet another question by talking about Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks doing Old Friends on acoustic. doesn't get much better than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UauECrCIYl8

Archived