Gibson Brands Forums

Common Beginner Mistakes

SomeIdiotDreamer

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As someone eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first guitar' date=' I'd like to compensate for my late start by getting as prepared as I can be.

What are some common mistakes first-time guitarists make? What are some common misconceptions about the guitar? What advice do you have?

-Sid out. [/quote']

One misconception (at least for me when I started playing) was that power chords are extremely easy to play (which they are) but when you first start playing you need to stretch those hand muscles as much as you can with fretting exercises to get a good reach with your fingers across the fretboard. Good Luck! BTW, what guitar are ya getting? When you get it show some pics ok?

GC

One misconception (at least for me when I started playing) was that power chords are extremely easy to play (which they are) but when you first start playing you need to stretch those hand muscles as much as you can with fretting exercises to get a good reach with your fingers across the fretboard. Good Luck! BTW' date=' what guitar are ya getting? When you get it show some pics ok?

GC[/quote']

Umm... maybe that was confusing... what I meant is that when you play power chords with your 1st finger on the first fret, you need to really stretch your fingers to get them used to stretching them that far. It's hard at first (at least it was for me) but it gets waaaaay easier. There, that was better lol!

GC

getting as prepared as I can be.

I am about to give you the single greatest piece of advice to anyone who is starting out on guitar.

The advice does not involve techniques, or practice schedules, or taking lessons, or learning the Dorian mode, or practicing the Mixolydian scale, or finger exercises...all rubbish to learning guitar. The single greatest piece of advice, the most important thing a new guitarist must learn is.....

- buy a guitar stand (costs about $12)

Yes, a guitar stand is the single most important thing to help you become a better guitarist. Here's why:

How does a guitar stand help you become a better guitarist? Well, without one, you put your guitar in its case, lock it up, slide it under your bed...and you are less apt to pick it up and play. On the other hand, a guitar on a stand you will pick up constantly.

While walking by it...you'll pick up your guitar and play it.

While watching the TV...you'll pick up your guitar and play it.

While sitting on the couch...you'll pick up your guitar and play it.

On your way to the john...you'll pick up that guitar and play it.

The more you pick it up, the quicker you will become a better player. Tuck it away in a case every night, you'll play the darn thing once a week. But a guitar on a guitar stand is just sitting there begging for you to play it...and you will.

Seriously, spend the extra twelve bucks, buy a stand and keep the guitar on it. A cheap guitar stand is the greatest tool for learning. You'll see the more you play, the faster you improve. A guitar stand leads to playing more.

Congrats on the guitar...What kind?

As Chico pointed out, stretching takes time. So does building of finger dexterity as well as building up calluses. Playing guitar can be a little painfull at first.

Start with basic songs and scales so as to not frustrate yourself.

Take your time, enjoy the experience and I'm sure you will be fine.

+1 on the guitar stand. (barring pets and little children)

As John Lennon said:

(1) learn how to swim

(2) swim

I have not found self-teaching books or DVDs to be very helpful. But I think that you need to understand some music theory or you will just be imitating riffs instead of learning music. I would advise a least some one-on-one music instruction. One of my pals in high school, Tom Waits, took some piano lessons in the late 60's. It was enough to build him enough of a foundation for all of his later player (before the piano, he was a self-taught guitarist).

Just my $02.

As John Lennon said:

(1) learn how to swim

(2) swim

I have not found self-teaching books or DVDs to be very helpful. But I think that you need to understand some music theory or you will just be imitating riffs instead of learning music. I would advise a least some one-on-one music instruction. One of my pals in high school' date=' Tom Waits, took some piano lessons in the late 60's. It was enough to build him enough of a foundation for all of his later player (before the piano, he was a self-taught guitarist).

Just my $02.[/quote']

Give yourself time, to learn...at YOUR pace. Not someone else's idea of what you should know, and how

fast you should know it. Enjoy your learning experiences. DO challange yourself, when you're ready,

and don't be afraid to "mess up," now and then. I've learned some great things, "messing up!" Things I

might never had learned, or thought of, othewise. And, I think, listening to a lot of different music, even

solos or rhythm patterns, on different instruments, will prove helpful...and, keep you out of "ruts," as much

as possible. Whatever you do, have FUN! Can't stress that enough!

CB

Congrats on the new guitar!

My advice: 1) Get a guitar stand

2) Practice every single day, no matter how you feel, no matter how long. Practice.

3) Use as many resources as possible; internet for tabs and intructional videos (like utube), guitar

magazines, Guitar Teachers, etc.

4) Have fun.

I think these are all important. But #4 might be the most important. If you are not having fun, and growing and learning as a guitarist should be fun, than why do it. Ultimately it should be fun. But you only get out of it what you put in to it. Like everything else. Maybe a tired cliche, but it's the absolute truth.

- buy a guitar stand (costs about $12)

Yes' date=' a guitar stand is the single most important thing to help you become a better guitarist. Here's why[/quote']

I agree with 100%, except spend a little money for a decent stand that can strap a guitar in. You never know when someone is going to be passing by and oops....

Congrats on the new guitar and enjoy

I should also add, turn OFF your internal critic. Nothing can stop an artist (musician, painter, writer) faster than an internal critic. I really like listening to the Beatles early (and I mean EARLY) tape recordings done in their bedroom, singing Buddy Holly music. Like CB said, do it for fun and do it for you. If you are self-conscious at first, play with headphones. But never give up because you think you aren't doing well.

As someone eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first guitar' date=' I'd like to compensate for my late start by getting as prepared as I can be.

What are some common mistakes first-time guitarists make? What are some common misconceptions about the guitar? What advice do you have?

-Sid out. [/quote']

Well, I started a little over a year ago with a cheap Ibanez JumpStart Jam Pack, A/E and a Hal Leonard "Learn to Play Guitar". I'd have gone to a teacher but where I live, in the boondocks, there aren't any nearby. Fortunately I can read music as a result of having played reed instruments years ago.

So, a lot of studying the lesson book, practicing, practicing, getting frustrated, and practicing more, every day. I can play most anything written note for note today, and I'm now in the process of learning the notes on every fret, as well as learning basic chords; G7, C, Am, E, D - - - etc. etc.

I now have a couple guitars, including an Epi Les Paul Classic and an Ibanez AS73 (335 knock-off) thin line hollow body. Again, if there was an instructor nearby, that's what I'd do. Since there isn't, I'm going by the old "read and learn yourself" method. It's no doubt slow but for me it works. I don't expect to ever be real good, but it's a helluva lotta fun trying.

Most important? PRACTICE! Every day.

I like the stand advice. My kids are starting... I think some stands for xmas are in order.

My add to the advice is to experiment. Just play and explore the sounds of the guitar. Harmonies, discordance, picking... soon you will find yourself making things up, then you're hooked for good.:)/

Oh...and make sure the guitar you buy is "set up" properly! "Action," intonation, preferred string guage,

pickup heights and balance, etc. Don't just expect that it will be, because it's "new," or "new to you," even.

A guitar that's easy to play, and intonates correctly is one you'll have a hard time putting down! Enjoy...

CB

Sid,

I started playing when I was 13. Dad got me a pawn shop Univox and a Crate amp. I took lessons for about 6 months, then started trying to get better on my own, before the days of youtube and internet tabs. I got frustrated, practiced less, and finally gave up. When I was 36, I picked up a friends guitar and picked out some stuff I remembered and got the itch again. Started looking for a guitar, found one I wanted and bought it. This time I made sure it was set up properly, and bought some books. Can't read music, I learn by ear or by someone showing me something. I broke my leg last year and was immobilized for 3.5 months, and found a guy on youtube that explains things very well, and all of a sudden I was energized, learning, & improving-however slowly. I improved, and that is why I think I gave up in my teens, because I kind of plateaued and didn't see any point in picking the same things I knew over and over. It wasn't getting me anywhere.

GO SLOW. I am not patient. It has been very hard for me to discipline myself to try to do things slowly without making mistakes. You will be better off in the long run taking things ridiculously slow. It works. Do it so slowly that you make NO MISTAKES. I focused too much on learning techniques and scales at first instead of learning songs. My speed improved quickly at the expense of musicality. Balance is important too.

Good luck. Practice. Be patient. Stick with it. I wish I had.

I totally agree about the guitar stand. If your instrument is easily accessible, you will play it more.

Another tip:

Prepare to shock yourself. Not literally. But I can recall many times when I was trying to learn something and I thought "Wow. I give up. My hands just don't move that far, or that fast. I might as well try to fly."

But a couple of weeks or months later, you'll find you're doing things that you never would have expected.

Enjoy!

Learn how to be a good rhythm player first.

Learn chord progressions (take some piano lessons, it works wonders for developing the ear).

Learn how to read music.

Practice with a metronome

You can practice guitar riffs, but don't get locked into just practicing lead solo chops.

Once you get good enough to where you can play songs from start to finish, work on playing and singing at the same time.

Join a band!!! This is where you'll really learn the art of becoming a polished player..... AND ALWAYS HAVE FUNo:)

1. Get ready for sore fingers… just play through it, it goes away after a while.

2. Practice practice practice

3. Sometimes you gotta just walk away… come back later

4. Learning to play music is like putting together a puzzle, except you don’t get all the pieces at the same time. You start off with a few pieces, and as you practice and learn more you will get more pieces to help build the big picture. Sometimes you get stuck and can’t find new pieces… just keep plug’n away, after a while new pieces of the puzzle will come to you. Some pieces are easier to get than others.

5. Play with other musicians whenever you can… don’t be embarrassed, we all sucked at some point… some still do. Most musicians are perfectly willing to help people who have an eagerness to get better. Even if its just mess'n around with buddies. You’d be surprised what different musicians can open your eyes too. It will make you better faster!!

When learning a new song, try to pick one that you know really well and like a lot. I can't stress this enough.

If you know the song, you will instantly be familiar with how its sound, timing and most importantly how it should feel. Liking the song is just as important. When you practice, it will feel like fun rather than a chore.

The stand advice is invaluable too!

When learning a new song' date=' try to pick one that you know really well and like a lot. I can't stress this enough.

[/quote']

Nice one. My rule of thumb...you should be able to sing the song or solo whatever...

Great advice allaround. Wished I talked to you guys when I was starting out...

As someone eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first guitar' date=' I'd like to compensate for my late start by getting as prepared as I can be.[/quote']

First of all congrats and welcome to our nightmares...just kidding. Late start?...better late then never so take it easy and enjoy it.

What are some common mistakes first-time guitarists make?

Thinking it's easy and if it don't happen over night they quit.

What are some common misconceptions about the guitar?

That it's the guitars fault and never the player.

What advice do you have?

Only two things you need is patience and determination.....gots to want it. The rest of the stuff will eventually fall in place so don't be to hard on your self at first. Like I said earler...just enjoy it. The learning process is just as much fun...that is if you love it.

-Sid out. [/quote']

Hmm.....

For the safety of your guitar, straps with thin leather at the ends will not hold your guitar well.

Some days, your fingers just won't cooperate. (So I go play Guitar Hero or RB instead)

Don't get stuck fighting with one song.

It'll frustrate you. Try a different one.

Eventually, it'll click.

Songs you hate may actually be easy to play.

I don't care much for the Beatles, but I enjoy them more now b/c I found them easy to play.

Experiment with the dials and knobs on your amp.

Songs meant to be played with distortion just don't sound right clean.

That is, don't think if it doesn't sound right, you must be doing something wrong.

Get your tabs from multiple sources - There's more than one way to play the same song.

Jimi Hendrix star Spangled banner can be played in the 12-17 fret range, or in the 0-7 fret range.

Tab books marked "easy" are typically "musac-ish" in that you pick along with the words, and play the main riff, and are generally in the 0-7 fret range.

Most Easy tab books I have do not include solos.

Keep you fingernails short. It'll help eliminate both buzz and dead notes.

Watch concert footage.

Thats how I found my Smoke on the water tabs were harder than need be.

3-5-6, 3-5-7-6 instead of 5-8-10, 5-8-11-10

Archived