Gibson Brands Forums

Selling your soul..........but with what?

Guest alanhindle

My fault for not properly explaning the myth in the first place. I took it that everyone knew it already.

I must admit- Leicester' date=' has picked some very good UK based swear words though- they are my faves too. Now Strum, can you post a dictionary definition for the second word as that one is even more entertaining.[/quote']

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wanker

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you've decided to sell your soul to Satan at those Crossroads' date=' but which guitar would you choose to do it with?[/quote']

Those Crossroads are a symbolic touchstone to many blues players. The Crossroads represents that point in a career where we recognize that we have developed our own signature style, and can both create new music and be comfortable playing most standards within the blues genre.

The whole Robert Johnson myth came about because of his innovative style -- he played music in a way that no one before him had done. People were amazed to hear him -- i.e. "How does he play -- like that?" The same was asked about a few other world-shockers since R.J. like Jimi Hendrix.

Obviously, many sacrifices are made by most of us trying to reach this "crossroads" in our lives. We choose to play guitar to the exclusion of other important things in life -- relationships, family, wealth, etc. Perhaps that is seen as "evil" by some onlookers, and if so then to that extent it is a selling of one's soul -- but it's not to any mythical embodiment of good or evil -- but merely to pass beyond musical norms and to develop a synergy with our music.

The "crossroads myth" is just another widely misunderstood aspect of music that many people try to make money off of by selling bullsh!t movies and books featuring a devil vs. xxxx player contest for the ignorant/superstituous masses.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

wanker' date=' yep there's another good one. I work with a woman from England and she throws those out occasionally and I get a kick out of it every time, unless of course she's referring to me.[/quote']

Wanker is also a somewhat deragatory reference in the motor sports circles, as in "He's a real wanker!" Ask me how I know this #-o

Bah. I'm going all Chuck Norris on this one. I'll smoke the devil, and I'll use a hot pink kazoo to do it. That's all I'll need.

Seriously though... Les Paul all the way. Standard or custom, or traditional, or classic, or supreme... Maybe even a Dark Fire, the name seems fitting in the context, LOL. Studios, singlecuts, and juniors need not apply.

Have y'all not actually READ the story of what happens at the CrossRoads?

The actual Crossroads was on a dirt road just off old Hwy. 61 near Cottonealia (sp. wrong i'm sure) Miss.

Show up at midnite, when theres NO moon shining, and an old man will appear and ask you for your

guitar.......He'll re-tune it, and play it like you've never heard before.........then ask you "do you want it back? the way I fixed it?" If you say yes, and take it from his hand, the deal is done, and your soul is lost, but, you have 7 years with a guitar that can play any tune you can think of, and never needs re-stringing, or tuning.

Sadly, only the guitar that was "fixed" will have this magic charm for you.

Thats why i'd take my Dreadnought Acoustic.........in case theres no 'lectricity.

<This story was taken from one of the many different spins on the tale, from one of the many many websites dedicated to the life and death of the Late Great Robert Johnson>(who btw, was poisoned with strychnine, BUT died of pneumonia as a complication of syphillus)

If anyone wants a good overview of the legend, plus a superb account of the development of blues in the southern United States in the early 20th century, then check out Elijah Wald's Escaping the Delta: Robert Johnson and the invention of the blues

rjcover.jpg

Literally, check it out (sorry, it's that librarian thing again....)

I never said I believed it dumb a$$.

I was only trying to tell the correct myth.

Somebody has tangled the story of the myth with "The Pick of Destiny" story.

So YOU are the wanker for not reading what I wrote correctly.

Paradoxically' date=' Brad old chap, you are a true master of the [i']non sequitur[/i], who then complains that others cannot comprehend his message properly...

Which statement would you like me to understand?

1./ Robert Johnson supposedly sold his soul to Old Nick, in exchange for talent as a guitar player and the fame that would accompany this.

or

2./ You, Brad, hold your soul in such high regard that you would not exchange it for any guitar, should you be in a position so to do.

Please be sure to let me know...wanker.gif

if you understand the deal in selling your soul fine... your guitar will be burnt up in the lake of fire though so don't plan on playing it in hell. besides an eternity of teeth gnashing will keep you too busy. you may need a good dentist for this eternity of teeth gnashing i assume most of them will be in hell anyway. so you may get a good dental plan into the bargain! :D

if you understand the deal in selling your soul fine... your guitar will be burnt up in the lake of fire though so don't plan on playing it in hell. besides an eternity of teeth gnashing will keep you too busy. you may need a good dentist for this eternity of teeth gnashing i assume most of them will be in hell anyway. so you may get a good dental plan into the bargain! :D

Nutty as a...

2564_MEDIUM.jpg

...I guess God must have it in for dentists...some subtle nuance of Christian theology that passed me by...

Prolife' date=' I have to ask, because my eternal soul might be at stake here...[b']Do librarians go to Hell too?[/b]

Archived