Gibson Brands Forums

Buckethead....

yamatsuka

Ahhhhhhh, yes. Brian Caroll.........student of Paul Gilbert and ex-G-N-R leadman.

His "techno" is flashy, and i've heard him do some good tunes unplugged too.

I wish he'd do more "plug & play" type music, without the special guitars and massive pedalboards.

I think he'd be really good, if he'd get back to making "music".

I don't know if it's a rumor, perhaps it is but, it's said that he actually had stage fright.. so when ever he went to perform he used to put a bucket on his head..but then gradually it became his signature..it was actually from there he got his name as Bucket Head.. "Rumor or Truth you decide"....

I have never a huge fan, to be honest. But you have to admire his talent. He is unique.

I used to think that the whole KFC bucket thing was a bit of contrived stagecraft, but on reflection I think that Buckethead probably is a genuine eccentric.

At least he's doing something different.

This is quite nice - melodic and melancholy.

I don't know if it's a rumor, perhaps it is but, it's said that he actually had stage fright.. so when ever he went to perform he used to put a bucket on his head..but then gradually it became his signature..it was actually from there he got his name as Bucket Head.. "Rumor or Truth you decide"....[/quote

I too have heard that it was stagefright......................

Buckethead is a Very talented guitarist. My turnoff is that he crams so much technique and tricks into one song that you really can get confused by how much is going on.

I like a lot of his solo stuff and the newest GnR is growing on me as well.

Buckethead is a talented guitarist, no doubts about it, but he was trying to replace Slash in GNR and I think that most of us tried to find in him the same passion Slash exhibited and it just wasn't there.

The two have different styles, and I guess that it wouldn't be fair to compare them or to judge one better over the other when we're talking about artistic expressions which are subjective by definition.

Take the November Rain solo for instance, it's not about speed picking and demonstrating how perfectly you can play your part, it's about feeling, it's a very emotional solo, and I just don't get that feeling when I hear Buckethead playing it. But again, maybe I'm just trying to find something that just isn't there, I don't know.

I think I can summarize then whole Buckethead experience as a little 'cold', that's all, but again, maybe I'm not being fair.

I don't know if it's a rumor' date=' perhaps it is but, it's said that he actually had stage fright.. so when ever he went to perform he used to put a bucket on his head..but then gradually it became his signature..it was actually from there he got his name as Bucket Head.. "Rumor or Truth you decide"....[/quote

I too have heard that it was stagefright......................

[/quote']

Easy for me to understand, I can't do anything in front of others, I can't even play the guitar if my wife is around.

Seems reasonable, being behind that makeup and bucket allows a bit of anonymity to relax and be free.

That said it ain't my style but he can play....................

Technically proficient...maybe even amazingly so, but "souless" IMHO! Personally, I've never really warmed

up to this type playing. Much prefer BB or EC (and others) doing a heart wrenching "Blues" solo, to any of the "Shredders."

BUT, that's just me. "Horses for Courses," as they say.

CB

I think Buckethead is a truly gifted guitarist. BUT. He lacks soul and emotion. Slash, who wouldn`t even be in my top 20 guitarists had soul and emotion. All Buckethead does is overkill. Like a little kid trying to get attention, he puts every trick he knows in every song. The more notes the better.

A famous guitarist who also wouldn`t make my top 20 list, (played in a band called Cream) a long

long time ago said something to the effect that it`s about the notes you don`t play. So being technically proficient doesn`t make you a great guitarist.

Technically proficient...maybe even amazingly so' date=' but "souless" IMHO! Personally, I've never really warmed

up to this type playing. Much prefer BB or EC (and others) doing a heart wrenching "Blues" solo, to any of the "Shredders."

BUT, that's just me. "Horses for Courses," as they say.

CB[/quote']

get a lot of that "Horses for courses" in Kansas do we ,CB? lol....I was in a KFC parking lot once and there was a semi-ferral cat rummaging in the trash and some one came out of the back door and scared the cat who ran like hell with a KFC container stuck on its head...and I said "Look, It's Buckethead" the cat was funny...Buckethead??? Can we say "gimmick" ?

Nelson

get a lot of that "Horses for courses" in Kansas do we ' date='CB? lol....I was in a KFC parking lot once and there was a semi-ferral cat rummaging in the trash and some one came out of the back door and scared the cat who ran like hell with a KFC container stuck on its head...and I said "Look, It's Buckethead" the cat was funny...Buckethead??? Can we say "gimmick" ?

Nelson[/quote']

Yeah, they'll buck us off, and drag us around the course, every chance they get! LOL! (I'll fess up, though,

I borrowed that little saying, from Sir George Martin, years ago.)

CB

Yeah' date=' they'll buck us off, and drag us around the course, every chance they get! LOL! (I'll fess up, though,

I borrowed that little saying, from Sir George Martin, years ago.)

CB[/quote']

You mean like the point in Anthology where he's talking about The White Album?...and then Macca says..."it was the bloody Beatles' White Album, it sold..shut up" ??

Nelson

Archived