Gibson Brands Forums

best bb king or eric clapton song to learn for a newbie

wardog

ok, after 3 lessons in 3 weeks, i have gotten alot better at finding notes on the fretboard. my teacher has taught me how to find notes on the 3rd and 4th strings using the 6th and 5th. i have worked on memorizing the 2nd and of course the 1st is the same as the 6th.

He is asking me to pick a song from the style of music i want to play to help re-enforce my past lessons. so, Help me out guys!!!!!!!!

:D :) [-o< [-o<

I guess you already know the blues scale, maybe a couple positions. I'm not a teacher, but I think what will really help you is to listen to your favorite songs, then try to isolate the licks, memorize them, try to play them over and over, and then you can combine a few of them into those of "your own creation".

That's where I find meaning in the word "influences"....

Maybe you can ask a pal to play rhythm for you and then you can play your licks and try to improvise your own blues solos.

If you're looking for a B.B. song, then try "Lucille", you'll recognize the very licks he plays at the beginning... straight forward blues!

Albert King also has cool songs like "Blues Power", nice and easy there. This is a great one to rip a few basic licks you'll later use for sure.

Clapton is awesome, gotta love that woman's tone, but also give a listen to Stevie Ray, Gary Moore and Buddy Guy and even pioneers like T-Bone Walker...

pssssssst....hey wonderful tonight is easy and if you got a special gal....or wanting a special gal...it is almost an automatic panty remover song:-$

Capt

ps, in no way am I responsible for any STDs or pregnancy this may cause....and if you can sing like al green you gonna be one luck MOFO!

Sunshine of your love is easyish. Has some bar chords so might be challenging. Learning it myself at the minute. Layla is good but hard i still cant get the intro great but the chorus is easy again if you can play bar chords.

B.B.Kings the thrill is gone is easy notes looking at it and its not fast its the bending and little blues tricks he uses to get his sound. I'd like to try that one.

Wonderfull tonight always a begineers lesson on youtube.

Riding With The King.

you get both on that one!

TWANG

Unless, of course, you're "covering" the original version by John Hiatt ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, though, I love that BB & Clapton disc ..... and Clapton's Back to the Cradle...... good bluesy shtuff :D

thanks fir the help guys, i will look in to all your suggestions. Steve i plan to look at yours too on the metal and rock.

Capt you the man. I will see if that song makes the wife melt.

anything that leads to john hiatt is a good thing!

INDEED !!!!! He played in my small city at an outdoor gig at the local Harley dealer last summer' date=' but UNFORTUNATELY, something came up and I had to miss it ...... if he comes back, I might have to borrow a motorcycle...... if you rode to the show, you got $5 off the ticket price=d> ...LOL

To the op, sorry to be derailing yer thread, here...default_eusa_wall.gif

pssssssst....hey wonderful tonight is easy and if you got a special gal....or wanting a special gal...it is almost an automatic panty remover song:-$

Capt

ps' date=' in no way am I responsible for any STDs or pregnancy this may cause....and if you can sing like al green you gonna be one luck MOFO![/quote']

I can't believe you said that .....ROFL

Sledge, NICE DODGE!, Hemi under that scoop? Greeat taste in wheels too! This is related just a

tad tangent due to your post. I'm putting the finishing touches on a '64 330 wagon I dragged

home from Florida years ago. Long story short in an effort to get started on the trip I forgot my CD

case and left out with only one CD I'd purchased and packed seperately earlier that day. We

spent the ENTIRE trip listening to BB & Eric's - "Ridin' with the King." Realizing we'd spent nearly

24 hours on the road listening to her; the wagon was christened and forever now shall be known

as "Lucille". hmmm, Sledge, Wedge, black hoodscooped Dodges, if it wasn't for your scarey photo I might

think we were sepeerated at birth...

Wedgie

Sledge' date=' NICE DODGE!, Hemi under that scoop? Greeat taste in wheels too! This is related just a

tad tangent due to your post. I'm putting the finishing touches on a '64 330 wagon I dragged

home from Florida years ago. Long story short in an effort to get started on the trip I forgot my CD

case and left out with only one CD I'd purchased and packed seperately earlier that day. We

spent the ENTIRE trip listening to BB & Eric's - "Ridin' with the King." Realizing we'd spent nearly

24 hours on the road listening to her; the wagon was christened and forever now shall be known

as "Lucille". hmmm, Sledge, Wedge, black hoodscooped Dodges, if it wasn't for your scarey photo I might

think we were sepeerated at birth...

Wedgie[/quote']

I'd love a 64 wagon bow.gif

No Hemi in mine, just a lil 470 CI stroker, makes close to 600hp devil.gif

Sorry for the Hi-Jack...............

my-471.jpg

Man, the weirdness continues...the wagon is gettin a mild 440 but my '65

Belvedere I has a Indy headded 451 waiting on the stand... To all, apologies

for the off-topicness but Guitars and Cars do co-exist, just ask Mr. Gibbons or

Jeff Beck or James Hetfield or...

Wedgie

Iron man is agreat song for a beginer and also the riff from smoke on the water. If you wanna learn a whole song then loads of easier stuff to learn as most of it is power chords.

I found "you really got me" by Van halen easy except the solo of course. Sounds awesome once you can get the mutes in too and the pinch harmonics

Archived