Gibson Brands Forums

What music are you listening to?

Riffster

Prompted by visiting my parents a couple of weeks ago and going through my vinyl records or also known as LPs (see this is LP related) I've been on an 80's hard rock kick since, and although my music taste has expanded signifcantly in the last 20 years, remembering the old times is always fun (I am 39).

Since I came back home I' ve listened to Dokken's Back For The Attack, Accept's Metal Heart and Restless & Wild, Iron Maiden's first album and Number of the Beast, Metallica's Kill'em All, Guns n' Roses' Appettite for Destruction, Skid Row's first album.

While looking at Metallica's LP Kill'em All with Megaforce records before they printed it on Elektra and added 2 tracks made me feel a bit old...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good one .

Killer Dwarfs , Ratt , Dokken , OLD Grand Funk ( 3 piece ) Shine down .

I really have been knocking off some Warren Demartini licks lately, I like his style

And have been spiffing up some of the old Funk for some upcoming plans . Heartbreaker , Sins a good mans brother,

Aimless lady , In Need , Paranoid . I come Tumblin, top the list for spiffin .

some of the music that i've been mainly listening to over the last week is:

-the doors (finally picked up one of their albums and i really love 'em)

-mark lanegan (mostly of his solo work with a bit of QOTSA and Screaming trees mixed in)

-taylor hawkins and the coattail riders (the foo fighters drummers solo album. it's a really great one. i highly recommend)

-Kyuss (the stoner rock band. really like homme's guitar work and the heavy bass)

-cat power (i picked up the album "you are free". it's truly a work of art. it also has dave grohl on (what few) drums and eddie vedder does some backup vocals.)

-The wings (i have to admit some of these songs rival the beatles)

-Jerry cantrell (alice in chain's guitarist and backup singer's solo stuff. )

- Alice in chains (i really like "heaven beside you".)

- Coldplay (mostly their album "parachutes'' (their best album imo) but i youtubed some of their new album and i really like violet hill. i may end up getting it)

and then some of the bands that stay in frequent circulation are: nirvana, foo fighters, rchp, soundgarden, beatles, led zeppelin, pink floyd, QOTSA, soundgarden, pearl jam, mudhoney, iron maiden, faith no more, queen, jeff buckley, wolfmother, motorhead...

as of late it's been GNR (not because of guitar hero), Kiss/Ace Frehley, and some Iron Maiden. I've really been trying to figure stuff out by ear on my own a lot more rather than cheating and using tabs so I've learned a few things from these guys. Of course there's the other big bands that i'm almost always listening to as well (Led Zep, Hendrix, AC/DC, Aerosmith etc. etc.)

I've been listening to my band's recent live shows to see what we've been doing right/wrong. :-D We just started gigging after a few months of practice.

I love the posts about 80s metal. One of my wife's friends has a son, 13, who is into guitar and taking lessons. One of his favorite bands is Slaughter. I ask you.....how does a 13-year-old hear about Slaughter these days?!?!?!? I cut my guitar teeth on Living Colour, Whitesnake, Scorpions, some Metallica, Alice in Chains, and a lot of Queensryche.

Anyway, I've been listening to Interpol, Failure (only just recently discovered them), and Ken Andrews (singer from Failure). Oh yeah, I recently downloaded the full album for Blue Murder. Damn, John Sykes could play and had the sweetest LP sound. (And I'm not talking "Jelly Roll," either. That's gotta be the worst song on the album. ](*,) )

-Brad

Other than flippin through the stations, I've been listening to Green Day American Idiot CD. Regardless of the lyrical content, those songs are so addicting. Also Gov't Mule Mr. High and Mighty. Especially Endless Parade.

The last couple of days it has been: Rush, Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers and I even dug up some old Kiss.

Other stuff that is on heavy rotation: Bob Marley, Pink Floyd, the mighty Led Zeppelin, Doors, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, and way to many others. Cheers.

This week its mainly:

Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heatbreak

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Led Zep - Mothership

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand

Director - We Thrive on Big cities

White Stripes - Icky Thump

Black Sabbath - best of (even all the cheezy late stuff..)

Hmmmm....

Been trying to pick up some of the tunes off of "Rock Band", but recently:

The Essential Judas Priest

Ozzy: Bark at the Moon

Radiohead: Creep (Rock Band)

Seether: Fake It

QotSA: Go With the Flow (Rock Band)

Nickleback: Rockstar (trying to learn their vocal hooks... )

Kid Rock: Rock and Roll Jesus

Led Zepplin: The Early/Latter Days

but, as usual, I am rocking, riffing and writing my own stuff more than anything else.

as of late it's been GNR (not because of guitar hero)' date=' Kiss/Ace Frehley, and some Iron Maiden. I've really been trying to figure stuff out by ear on my own a lot more rather than cheating and using tabs so I've learned a few things from these guys. Of course there's the other big bands that i'm almost always listening to as well (Led Zep, Hendrix, AC/DC, Aerosmith etc. etc.)[/quote']

You read my mind....that was weird

and Ozzy by the way "No More Tears"

Archived