Gibson Brands Forums

It's here........

sledge57

Woo Hoo my Wildkat delivered this morning,Dancinnanner.gif

I have to go to dinner with the "outlaws" tonight but will unpack it and take pics later tonight or tomorrow morning.

The suspense is killing me, worse than X-Mas, of course it's been a looooooooonnnnnggggg time since I got anything this cool for X-Mas

music269.gif

Fantastic news, Doug! I'm very excited for you ... and I can't believe you're resisting the urge to rip it open and start strumming. I forget, what color did you get? Looking forward to seeing the pics. Again, congrats!

MIDI

Woo Hoo my Wildkat delivered this morning' date='[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/Sledge_57/Smilies/Dancinnanner.gif[/img]

I have to go to dinner with the "outlaws" tonight but will unpack it and take pics later tonight or tomorrow morning.

The suspense is killing me, worse than X-Mas, of course it's been a looooooooonnnnnggggg time since I got anything this cool for X-Mas

music269.gif

I like your smiley faces that you added on. where did you get those?

how dare you spread your anticipation to this august forum and it's esteemed members, each of whom is now gassing terribly just to see

your guitar!

You're having dinner, and we can't eat a bite, yet must drool.

Oh, how cruel thou art, your sledgeness.

TWANG

Well I finally got my grubby lil hands on it and I'm a happy Kamper.

The guitar seems to be in perfect condition.

It needs some help but nothing major, the action is high and the strings are ridiculous, they feel like acoustic strings.

Also even though the neck is bound the fret ends are pretty sharp, not nearly as nicely finished as my Sheri but it was a couple hundred cheaper and I'm sure the tech I go to will fix it up. He made my Sheri so nice my brother hates his "real" 335 now and plans to take it to the same guy.

I measured the strings with a dial caliper (no micrometer) and they seem to be .011 (or .012) - 0.050's

Way to heavy for me, I'm going to have .010's put on when I have it set up.

It looks & sounds great though, it's just a little hard to play.

A couple questions though, is there a way to tighten up the arm on the Bigsby? I'd like it to stay put a little better than it does and can someone give me a rundown on the volume/tone controls on these.

Seems to be one tone, a volume for each pup and a master volume?

Any kool tricks when adjusting the tone when you have 3 volume pots?

Here's a not so good pic. I need some good light to get a decent shot.

Oh yea after playing the Kat for an hour I picked up the Sheri and damn near got a hernia, holy crap that's a heavy guitar, I'm loving the size, weight and feel of the Kat.

Kool-Kat.jpg

It's a beauty, Doug. I'd love to see that finish in person ... not 100% sure how I feel about it from the pics I've seen, but then a lot of guitars arn't done justice by their photographs. Is the inside of that guitar really dark? From your pic, it really looks dark inside compared to the sticker.

As far as the volume/tone pots, its the same set up as my Gretsch 5120. Set the master on full, dial in a tone you are happy with betwen the two pup's and the tone, and then just use the master to raise and lower the volume without changing the setup you decided on. Settings depend so much on your amp, room, etc.

I'm with you on the 10's ... lot's of guys like the heavier strings, but I just like the chimey sound of the Elixer 10's on my Gretsch and Lucille.

Well, I'm sure yo have plans for the weekend ... have fun and congrats!

MIDI

If it comes back from the set-up playing as good as it looks, you sure got a winner there !

Hope you don't have feedback problems........if you do, you can fix it easy enough though.

Congrats & Enjoy !

Send the Outlaw inlaws a recording of yourself blistering a tune on it, and tell them.....

"See what y'all held me up from?"*L*

You'll love it man, I have no doubt. I find the master volume very handy for Tele style volume swells. On the Bigsby getting tighter, I'm not sure...mine I thought was too tight-I WD 40'd it so it wouldn't squeak. Bar won't really stay up of its own accord (swings back to tail and stays fine) so I palm it the whole time when I'm using it a lot in a tune....if I won't need it for a few versus, I just let it swing down and grab it again when I need it. Took some getting used to for me. Even when I had a strat, I had the tremolo blocked. I wasn't used to using it at all. Now, even palming it, I can do everything but the fastest picking I would attempt with no problem at all. And when I switch guitars, its like an amputated limb-in the sense that I miss it-not that it's a real comparison...I'm not that insensitive I hope!

Wildkats rule!

Archived