Gibson Brands Forums

Can someone tell me if my Epi Les Paul is a fake?

imwl

I'm a beginner player and I just bought an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top off ebay. The posting said it was located in New Zealand, but when it shipped it said it was from Beijing, China. Now, I'm concerned if it is real. Here are my pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/williewlee/EpiphoneLesPaulStandardPlusTopTransBlue?authkey=Gv1sRgCJylvtGTt9brwwE#

Thanks for your input.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks "Legit," and...according to "Guitar Dater" and your the serial number...

"Your guitar was made at the

Qindao Plant (Epiphone), China

April 2008

Production Number: 16727

The seller, may have a distributor, in Beijing, that supplies his

instruments. The only way to be 100 % sure, of any guitar purchase,

and the guarantee that it's "The real McCoy," is to buy it from an authorized

(in this case "Epiphone") dealer. On E-bay, as always, you take your chances.

Most (good) sellers, ARE honest. But, unfortunately, not All!

Hope that helps, some?

CB

From the pics, I can't see any of the obvious signs of fakery noted in some other posts, where there were obvious deviations from Epiphone designs. Everything I can see in the pics you posted looks legit.

"Your guitar was made at the

Qindao Plant (Epiphone)' date=' China

April 2008

Production Number: 16727

[/quote'] Holy crap....they produced 16727 or more guitars in a month ???!!!??? They're really cranking them out, I guess...

Thanks for the replies. That helped a lot.

To me, the top row of knobs just doesn't seem right. They seem quite a bit off from being aligned with the strings.

It's mainly that and the fact that it came from China that concerns me. Got it brand new for $380 + ship.

As far as sound goes this Epi sounds much better than my Squire, and the neck is smooth as silk.

Any further comments would be appreciated. I still have a couple of days to decide if I should return it. Thanks again!

WL

I see no reason to doubt the authenticity of your LP, looks like the

"real deal" to ME! Don't let the" made in china" aspect throw you off,

the Chinese can produce some QUALITY guitars when they aren't trying

to solder using chopsticks... I have an EPI LP Studio and EPI LP Classic,

BOTH made in china, BOTH play as smooth as silk, and BOTH sound

completely different. The Studio has a heavier, rawer tone, the Classic

sounds more.....well, like a classic Les Paul would sound. PLUS, PLUS,

PLUS - The average asking price for the LP Standard Plus is $649.00,

as compared with the $380.00 + ship you paid. Hmmmm.... I WANTED

an EPI LP Std Plus, but accidentally "discovered" the LP CLassic via a

b-stock website. I was intrigued, researched, GOT MY OWN, and LOVE

the Classic. Would like to have another....(Greedy). For a beginner, you

have an awesome axe, one you should KEEP for a LONG time. NOW, your

mission (should you choose to accept it), is to make your playing WORTHY

of "Instrumentus Les Paulicus Maximus"!!!!

It looks good to me' date=' however the wiring in the back cavity does not have epiphones little wire connector like in mine which i know is the real deal.[/quote']

I have the same "connector" in my LP Classic, but my Studio looks

just like his...."hardwired".

So far almost every fake has been shipped directly from China. Bad start.

First pic I clicked: Logo, horribly cut, wrong placement. Second pic Electronics: No connector. No colourcode I've seen before.

This is a:

Epiphony.jpg

there is one thing that bothers me i was speaking to a dealer here in australia and the one thing he said was that all guitars selling cheap from new zealand were fakes..not real impressed with the pots either looks like the fake ace frehley eppi i bought..i may be wrong though8-[

Back of your headstock:

DSCF2853.JPG

Back of headstock of a guitar on sale at Sweetwater (an authorized Epi dealer):

0808120023-serial-l.jpg

Yours:

DSCF2830.JPG

Sweetwater's:

0808120023-headstock-l.jpg

Yours:

DSCF2858.JPG

Sweetwater's:

0808120023-closeup2-l.jpg

Yours:

DSCF2835.JPG

Sweetwater's:

0808120023-body-l.jpg

Conclusions? I don't have any. At first I thought the nut on your guitar looked wrong. Now I'm not so sure. There's hardly a 'smoking gun' here is there? I guess you'll never know for sure...Epi will tell you that the only way to know your Epi is genuine is to buy from an authorized Epiphone dealer. I hope you are happy with the guitar, in any case.

Well, what I see mostly, is "wide angle" (lens) distortion, on the photos of our original poster.

Which admittedly, makes it look like it could be "fake"....??? But, as I stated originally,

the only way ANYONE can be sure they're getting a "Real Epiphone" is to buy it from a

"Real Epiphone Dealer!" The "fakes," if done by a decent production facility, will get

better and better, and harder to discern. And, if marketed on E-bay or other like places,

at or near "Real Epiphone" selling prices, I can see a LOT of "fakes" being sold, and

even more profit, for their producers. I'd gladly pay a bit more, which is still a great price

(in most instances) for a genuine Gibson/Epiphone, from a Authorized dealer, ANY day...

over taking a chance on a "fake," to save a few dollars. "Penny wise, and Pound foolish,"

I believe, is the old saying.

CB

Thanks again for all the replies, they have all been very helpful.

After some more investigation with the help of google and all your replies, I narrowed it down to a few things that points to a fake Epi.

1) The logo is a little off. I can't describe the difference, it just looks it.

2) The top row of electric knobs are not parallel to the neck. No, it's not camera distortion, it really is off. If I still had my elementary school protractor, it would probably say it's off by about 10-12 degrees.

3) Related to #2, The big cavity and cover on the back seems a little rotated.

4) The washers (under tuning pegs) on the front of the stock head look flatter and cheaper than online photos.

5) The pick guard doesn't match pictures of confirmed real Epi's. The curve at the bottom end isn't rounded the same. The small screw is in a slightly different place. It looks cheap. It extends a little too far pass the pickups and towards the bridge.

6) The two guitar strap nuts do not match on-line photos.

Other than that, everything else seems fine. :)

I also email Epiphone/Gibson about this and they asked for photos, which I provided. I'm still waiting for their verdict.

So for now, it seems like I have a REALLY GOOD fake Epiphone on my hands.

BlueLesPaul2006: Do you have pics of the wiring in the back cavity of yours? Thanks.

animalfarm: I wish my playing is worthy of a Les Paul. Some day, some day.

Ricochet: Do you have a photos of electronics you're talking about? Thanks.

acewarslave: If I heard that about new zealand earlier, I would have avoided this guitar just like I would have avoided it if the seller was honest about where it was coming from (stinkin' China!).

Big Norm: Your glasses are fine. You're right, these knobs are not parallel to the neck.

Lord Summerisle: Thanks for all your work with the photos. They were very helpful. I'm mostly happy with it, just feel slightly cheated.

Memphs1978: Yeah, a $400 life lesson, not bad, relative to what I lost in stocks last year.

Charlie Brown: Yes yes yes. I should have got it from Guitar Center. I'm a newbie just trying to save a few bucks. I'll remember this when I go pick out my Gibson Custom next week. :)

WL

It's probably just an artifact of the perspective in the photos, but it *looks* like the curves of the body are a little off too. They just seem more severe than in the certifiably real photos.

That said, if the guitar still feels good to you then it was money well spent, and worst case scenario, you can probably sell it on. :)

In the logo on his guitar, the break in the "o" is at the top. On the Sweetwater model, the break is at the bottom.

On all three of mine, which I'm sure are the real deal, the break is at the top.

My conclusion:

The Sweewater model is a fake.:)

Now, everybody go look at your logos!

:)

Charles Obscure - interesting observation - just looked at six Epi's from the last 15 years (1996 Sheraton II, EA-250, Emperor, LP-Studio, LP-Custom and 2005 Sheraton II) and ALL had the 'o' split at the top. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this logo feature?

And who is the lady in your avatar..... I am thinking naughty thinkings,

and I want to know if that is OK, or if I should stop,

like she's your lady or whatever.:)

Charles Obscure - interesting observation - just looked at six Epi's from the last 15 years (1996 Sheraton II' date=' EA-250, Emperor, LP-Studio, LP-Custom and 2005 Sheraton II) and ALL had the 'o' split at the top. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this logo feature?

[/quote']

My 2006 G-400 has the 'o' split at the top.

Digging around at the Sweetwater site, it look likes all the older stock (guitars that still have letters before the serial numbers) have the split at the top. New stock, with serial numbers containing digits only, have the split at the bottom. I guess a new batch of headstock overlays arrived...

Really, Epiphone need to be more standardized in these areas (in my opinion). It makes it even harder to spot fakes when the company itself changes distinguishing features at whim.

Logo not right, Incorrect stickers,ser# crooked,tuners crooked,$380 NEW no way ! but the biggest 2 telloffs.......

1, That nut is twice as thick as an Epi nut, to compensate for an incorrectly angled headstock.

2, Unless theres been a policy change, Epi doesn't ship factory direct......gotta go thru an authorized dealer to get a new one.

I heard a new mention for LP's being fake last night. (I'd heard of fake carbon copies before)

But, it was mainly in mention to an LP that is not an original Gibson Les Paul "Burst" ...from the 50's. interesting.

Now the "Fake Epi" is new to me also

Yeah, well...ALL "Les Paul" guitars, after the initial years Gibson produced them ('52-60) are "fakes!" LOL!

At least, in some folk's ways of thinking. But, there are no true "Les Paul" guitars, unless they are real

Gibson or Epiphones. All the rest are "clones" or immitations, no matter how good they may or may not be.

CB

Ill go with with you on this bender the nut is a good one to look at the ace frehley eppi i have is twice as thick as the real deal...what is the sound like on the guitar..the fake eppi i have is terrible compared to the real ace eppi that has super destortion demazio pups...

Bender 4 Life: The nut only looks bigger because my photo is showing two sides, since it was taken from a higher angle. The nut on my "epi" is the same as the one shown in the Sweetwater photo. But still, I know, it's very suspicious.

Archived