Gibson Brands Forums

What's your favorite humbucker?

Dylan1281734152

I don't have much experience in modding guitars. I've got a Dot on order, and I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on possible pickup swaps.

I've used a Gibson Les Paul Studio for years when the music called for that sound, but beyond that, I've been in the single coil camp forever.

I'm very intrigued with any opinions you could offer in regard to various humbuckers in your Dots. What made your axe shine? Are you pleased with the stock pickups?

I am aware that this topic has potential for great debate. I'm not trying to start a brawl. All opinions are welcome and encouraged. I don't have an agenda, and I plan on playing my Dot stock for quite awhile anyway (just to get to know her). I just want to shoot the bull.

Thanks.

Dylan

I lot of it has to do with your style of playing and the music you are producing, Dylan. However, I'm willing to cast my vote for Gibson Dirty Fingers. As I've said before, they never muddy up, are extremely high output, and are warm and growly as opposed to hard and metalic. Great for everything from jazz to blues to classic rock to, of course, the harder stuff! Country Music ... well ... maybe not so much!

Jim

I have a drawer filled with an assortment of pickups which get intermittently installed in different guitars. Seymours, Gibson, Schaller, EMG, Fender, GFS etc. Interesting observations I've made. Pickups sound different in different guitars. And the "better" pickup may not be beneficial for the sound or tone of your particular guitar. That being said I've been most lucky with Seymour Duncans.

We need a poll on this! Hardest part will be listing all of the PUP choices. I am in the market to change out my PUPs on my Dot Deluxe to ---- something --- but I have no idea which PUP. BTW, we play a little blues, but mostly 60s and 70s folky-like soft rock like Beatles, Eagles, America, etc.

+1! I am looking to swap the pups out on my Joe Pass - want something for fingerpicking/jazz/blues and not break the bank!

I have heard so many good things about various GFS pickups for the price, but they do not seem to have sound samples on their web site.... [-(

I've tried so many humbuckers, so I'll review the one I dislike the most, and the one I like the most:

EMG = (dislike)

IMO, this pup X's out any of the guitars natural sound characteristics that would allow it to sound unique. Basically, you can nail a set of EMG's into a 2 x 4 piece of wood, add some strings and it would sound like any guitar loaded with EMG's.

Dimarzio Super D's = (love)

Don't let the Super D description scare you. I've had great luck with these pups. IMO they produce a fat aggressive sound, while maintaining clarity.

Here is my advice. Go to a music shop and try all the guitars, yes every one, that are similar construction to yours. When you find the sound you like, work out what the PUPs are on it and get the nearest thing you can find. GFS do have a good reputation and very good prices. Seymour Duncan have a pretty much bullet proof reputation at a slightly higher price but it all depends on the sound you want. You say you have a DOT on order but the question is what kind of music do you / will you play on it?

EMG = (dislike)

IMO' date=' this pup X's out any of the guitars natural sound characteristics that would allow it to sound unique. Basically, you can nail a set of EMG's into a 2 x 4 piece of wood, add some strings and it would sound like any guitar loaded with EMG's.[/quote']

Hahahahah! The imagery of that had me in stitches!

Basically' date=' you can nail a set of EMG's into a 2 x 4 piece of wood, add some strings and it would sound like any guitar loaded with EMG's.

[/quote']

I think that is exactly what Les Paul did with the log but he used a rail road tie. And it resulted in the best guitar in history. lol

We need a poll on this! Hardest part will be listing all of the PUP choices. I am in the market to change out my PUPs on my Dot Deluxe to ---- something --- but I have no idea which PUP. BTW' date=' we play a little blues, but mostly 60s and 70s folky-like soft rock like Beatles, Eagles, America, etc. [/quote']

A partial comparison list:

pickups_output-chart.jpg

Well. I guess I'm more in the "old school?" I like PAF's or Burstbuckers, in my Semi's. In fact, the only

guitar I own, with "Hot" pickups is my Gibson LP "Classic," which comes stock, with Gibson's hottest duo,

496R & 500T ceramics. Everthing else has PAF or Burstbuckers, P-90's, or P-100's. But, it really depends

on your needs/style, and what music you gravitate towards.

CB

I don't have much experience in modding guitars. I've got a Dot on order' date=' and I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on possible pickup swaps.

I've used a Gibson Les Paul Studio for years when the music called for that sound, but beyond that, I've been in the single coil camp forever.

I'm very intrigued with any opinions you could offer in regard to various humbuckers in your Dots. What made your axe shine? Are you pleased with the stock pickups?

I am aware that this topic has potential for great debate. I'm not trying to start a brawl. All opinions are welcome and encouraged. I don't have an agenda, and I plan on playing my Dot stock for quite awhile anyway (just to get to know her). I just want to shoot the bull.

Thanks.

Dylan[/quote']

actually... believe it or not...

lace alumitone.

it sounds like... a guitar.

period.

and it's really light...

I don't have much experience in modding guitars. I've got a Dot on order' date=' and I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on possible pickup swaps.

Thanks.

Dylan[/quote']

I really like the Gibson DirtyFingers in the bridge. Duncan '59s make a good neck pickup, as well as DiMarzio's Humbucker from Hell for a little different . GFS Mean 90s are great if you want a P-90 style pup in a humbucker mount. Also, check out Carvin pickups. I have two Carvin's and they sound fantastic.

I use all these in various axes, but as someone stated, but there are a lot of factors that determine tone. But I think a Duncan '59 / Dirty Fingers combo would work pretty good in a Dot. The Mean 90s sound great in my Lucille.

Archived