Gibson Brands Forums

We haven't had one of these in a while...Great Guitarists

Gordy01

Nice. I have a lot of respect for finger pickers. I've never been much good at it but I suppose if I really worked hard in a few years I could be mediocre. They seem to play the guitar like a piano, with the thumb playing a rhythm section like a pianist left hand while the fingers play melody or accompany.

I see you have a Seagull, I have a Simon and Patrick myself made by the same "company", nice guitars.

AS90

I'll give you what you paid for the Sheraton and pay for your ale all night in the Casa in Hope Street (my local when I am back home)....on top [biggrin]

Edit: Don't want to hijack the thread wow how did that happen to the neck AS....was it like that when you got it? What effect does it have.......I suppose if I had to have an Elitist it would have to be mint, can't see the point otherwise........... I have two players here.

I like the idea of a "Great Guitarists" thread, especially if he or she is a player most people are not normally aware of.

For a while I've been playing around with a cover of Cast Your Fate to the Wind (it was an old '60s instrumental I found in my Mum's collection of 45s ).

Anyway, after practicing it for a while and laying it down in three or so tracks I was becoming quite pleased with the results. Then I went on youtube looking to see if anyone else had been having a stab at it...

...where I found this guy's version of it. :-s

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF8fkwc7Ouk[/YOUTUBE]

The Andy McKee and Joscho Stephan clips were inspirational (perhaps inspiring me to give up and sell off the collection - NO NEVER!) Let's give a tip of the hat to their inspirations,

Michael Hedges, who pioneered acoustic/percussive style (not too prominent in this one, but the tune just kicks so hard):

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

And Django, perhaps the only good clip out there...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJ7bs4mTUY[/YOUTUBE]

I think what I love about the guitar, is that there never seems

to be an end to the different sounds and patterns that good

players can find.

What I like about Chet Atkins is the economy of movement in his hands.

Joscho is a great player also. And what else can you say about Wes.

Watching good players is a bit disheartening, but also inspiring.

Keep 'em comin'!!

Archived