Gibson Brands Forums

N (well, quite old) GD.

pippy

Got this the other day.

Don't need it but I played it (big mistake) and it is just wonderful. Couldn't pass it by

1993 R9. First year of the re-issues proper.

I'll have to drill the top for a P/G though.

New20x30Jamv2.jpg

And the back of the neck carries this cute logo...

HistoricCollectionlogo.jpg

Very cool. The first thing I did with my Les Paul when I got it home was to take the pick guard off; I think they look tacked on like an after thought but just my opinion. I would encourage you to leave it off. Too sweet a flame to cover it up on this one pippy.

Thanks for all the favourable comments, folk.

As for drilling for the p/g.....

[unsure]

I'm sorry to say (to those who would rather I didn't) there was never any doubt that I would drill the holes. My playing style requires a finger-rest and, that being so, I'll fit the one which is correct for the guitar. I'm going to try to get the proper 'Historic' one but no-one in central London has one in stock.

I didn't realise so many people here had a strong enough view on the matter! :unsure:

It's only a couple of holes.

As for the p/g its'self...

I like the look both on and off. I experimented a while back (and, of course very recently...) without the guard but I simply find playing more comfortable when one is fitted.

But thanks again for all the input!

Truly gorgeous, that's a beautiful flame!

Way too beautiful to cover up or -- gasp -- drill...

[crying]

I understand the comfort-element, and it should be comfortable to play.

Couldn't you just find a nice, soft pillow for your hand?

[biggrin]

Congrats on the new guitar!

[thumbup]

Looks great!

I say go for it, if you want a pickguard. I've always felt like LP's don't look complete without them.

Agreed. I considered adding one to mine, and finally decided a black pickguard would make the guitar too dark - and now I'm used to it. But it's your guitar... and a pickguard might tone down that beautiful but aggressive flame. [thumbup]

pippy, I know from the other thread you like resting your pink on the pickguard... but I would suggest to change your style or if you want I'll come over to you and give you Django treatment at your right hand... [biggrin]

THAT BURST IS AWESOME MY MAN! LEAVE THE P/G!

I can understand wanting a PG. I couldn't play without one.

Why not this?: Check out this web site: http://www.terrapinguitars.com/

They make custom pick guards. Why not the clear acrylic style. You might even call them to see if there might be a way to mount it without drilling. I think the clear would be rather cool looking.

Just a thought.

Great looking ax.

Thanks again to everyone for their input, especially those who suggested alternatives; some of which would circumvent the need for drilling into the top. I really do appreciate the time and thought you have all spent posting on the thread. I've checked out the alternatives - the transparent guards looked better than they sounded like they would - but will still go down the 'Historic' route.

I must admit I'm quite, nay very, surprised and a bit bewildered to find some of you regard the 'driling' option such a strange or difficult choice to make. I've never had any discomfort with the prospect of drilling holes in the guitar. It's just a guitar, after all.

As far as covering up some of the top goes;

...and a pickguard might tone down that beautiful but aggressive flame...

I agree.

Best wishes, and thanks again.

P.

I'll have to drill the top for a P/G though.

Aaaargh . . . . please don't drill that beautiful guitar. Are you sure you don't want to get a screwless one if you have to have one. They look really good and who is going to notice (except you of course) if it is not historically correct?

Archived