Gibson Brands Forums

Missing Chances

Artie Owl

Hey gang, we share our pet peeves on here regularly so here's one to chew on;

Don't you hate it when you're just sitting there with your guitar, TV on in the background or whatnot and you're just struming or noodling, then all of a sudden inspiration strikes and you lay down some awesome blues/rock lick or run or strum progression or whole damn song and you've got no proof of it, can't duplicate it again etc. GAH I might actually be half way talented but I've got no way to prove it!

I can't tell you how many sweet things I wrote and then forgot. Especially with my first band.

I have a little recorder on my phone and now when I come up with something good I just record it real quick so I don't forget it. I actually just did it like 10 minutes ago lol.

I tend to record it if I like it....i play it and play it so I don't lose the sound and then i either plug into the computer or i just click record on a handheld I got here....either way, i have it. I can't always figure out how I played it too quickly but it helps!

I was plugging away on my acoustic this past afternoon, no electric jack, no microphone, just me and the couch and the guitar, I was going to invest in one of those small pod recorders, but they're like 300$ for a decent one and right now I've got my eye on a new guitar so it'll have to wait.

That happens to me all the time! ALL THE TIME! But I figure easy come easy go. I'll come up with more.

I came up with a cool little riff last night at practice - just warming up. Our guitar player insisted we record it just in case. Thats a start, I guess!

I was plugging away on my acoustic this past afternoon, no electric jack, no microphone, just me and the couch and the guitar, I was going to invest in one of those small pod recorders, but they're like 300$ for a decent one and right now I've got my eye on a new guitar so it'll have to wait.

It don't have to be any good to capture the idear...$20...then you can record it properly later...

Digital Cameras are your friend. I grab my camera and take a video of any idea that I have, assuming It lasts long enough to grab the camera, sometimes ideas are so fleeting they're gone before you can hit the record button. [cursing] Then you can see, as well as hear, what you did.

Started recording things into the voice memos function of my iphone. I go into descriptions and usually hum what I'm thinking. Sounds incredibly goofy but it's a good way to remember things because like you, I forget quickly.

I used to have the same problem of forgetting stuff that I wrote on the fly until I bought a Line 6 GuitarPort. It's now really easy for me to plug the guitar into my computer, pick one of my preset sounds, open up a wave recording program and record whatever it was that I played.

Archived