Gibson Brands Forums

any HIFI enthusiasts on here?

S t e v e

because of my love of music, as well as playing guitar i am also a fan of quality hifi equipment, if you wanna hear a song how it was intended to be heard then an off the shelf supermarket stereo just ain't gonna produce...the difference realy has to be heard to be believed.

here's my current set-up

arcam a38 intergrated and p38 power amplifiers (bi-amped)

roxanne caspian M series 1 cd player

mission 796 speakers in piano black gloss

rel T1 sub bass

cables are nordost blue heaven and qed.

n1072796345112569128.jpg

Great system!

I have been in the audio/video business for the last 23 years. I have had my share of great 2 channel systems.

Two channel is a hard sell these days, most people just don't take the time and really listen to music anymore.

My only problem with expensive audio is that I tend to find myself listening to whats wrong with the equipment

or setup.

On a disappointing note one of the USA's best audio/video manufacturers will close their doors soon

Good By B&K

I grew up with tube amp receivers made by my grandfather, I thought they were uncool at the time, when he passed and the tube amps fell in disrepair my family threw them away. Since then I have been buying one average stereo system after the other knowing the sound is not the same.

Right now I have a Sony receiver and CD player and they sound great but I wish I had bought a professional 2 channel receiver in the beginning.

One of these days I'll buy me a nice receiver even if it is used and a professional turntable as opposed to the $125 turntable I have now.

Your average person of the last couple of gens has no idea what hi-fi is.

They've had their hearing ruined by earbuds plugged into digital players with the volume set too high, running (for the most part) at 128kbit or less.

I use Onkyo and Bose.

No. I know what HI-FI is. And by the way, I would never listen to music at 128kb. All the music on my MP3

player/phone is at 320kb at least. Some of it higher than that. And I can hear just fine after listening to music through ear buds for 6 years.

Actually like 95% of people owned cheap turntables when vinyl was the current format, you can't get the full advantage of vinyl sound with the average $99 turntable.

CD altghough it may have a more limited range made better, more convinient players available to people hence most people think is better.

That's a fine rig you've got there Steve, wow!

My setup (and I don't let mp3's anywhere near it!);

Marantz PM6 Esotec Integrated (currently ordering parts to give this girl a complete rebuild - she deserves it)

http://www.thevintageknob.org/MARANTZ/PM6/PM6.html

Analogue source - Linn Axis

http://www.nine9.co.uk/ebay/Axis%20Pictures/14102009.jpg

Digital source - CD, DVD-Audio, HDCD - Toshiba SD900E

http://www.virtualmags.com.au/Sofa/reviews/dvdplayers/Toshiba/pics/toshiba_sd900e.gif

I agree. Fresh, pristine vinyl sounds superior to digital.

Not if the album was recorded digitally it won't. Even if it was recorded in the analogue domain, a well mastered CD played through a decent player (like Steve's), will win every time.

i work for the company Bang & Olufsen, and i have been there for about 12 years.

I was was fortunate to have my father give me his old pair of B&O M75 speakers that I have always loved. At this point in their age though I need to replace the woofer surrounds and do the same with my M&K subwoofer.

My components are Sony ES.

Great system!

I have been in the audio/video business for the last 23 years. I have had my share of great 2 channel systems.

Two channel is a hard sell these days, most people just don't take the time and really listen to music anymore.

My only problem with expensive audio is that I tend to find myself listening to whats wrong with the equipment

or setup.

On a disappointing note one of the USA's best audio/video manufacturers will close their doors soon

Good By B&K

That's too bad about B&K, great underrated compamy, I have a B&K 507 and it's a monster. Have it connected to a home theater setup of 7 PARADIGM STUDIO V22 and a M&K sub.

I was was fortunate to have my father give me his old pair of B&O M75 speakers that I have always loved. At this point in their age though I need to replace the woofer surrounds and do the same with my M&K subwoofer.

My components are Sony ES.

there arent any b&o shops in michigan as far as i know, but you could always send them to my shop in NJ and i can have the work done for you.

In my life, I've owned B&O and Rega turntables, Yamaha and Harmon-Kardon receivers, and ADS and Cerwin-Vega speakers. These days, I have a BOSE surround sound (Lifestyle) system that I am very happy with. Vinyl was and is great, but vinyl is very delicate, and no matter how careful you try to be, it's very difficult to keep vinyl pristine.

Edit: Forgot to mention the SAE parametric equalizer.

Throw in 2800+ albums.

Archived