Gibson Brands Forums

Bands With Amazing Stage Presence

Tman5293

So I was watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAzdgU_kpGo&ob=av2n

And I got to thinking about what amazing stage presence Led Zeppelin had. So it inspired me to ask you guys to post videos of bands you think have amazing stage presence.

BTW, What guitar is Jimmy Page playing in this video? Never seen anything like it. msp_confused.gif

Blue Oyster Cult

Rory Gallagher (in his prime)

Free

Of all of the performers I can think of, though, all evidence suggests that there were few with a stage presence more impressive, astounding, terrifying, endearing, and incredible than Howlin' Wolf.

By the way, Page is playing a Danelectro DC in the video.

I think there are different types of stage presence.

Roy Orbison, for example, just went out, stood pickin' a guitar in front of a little-moving band or backup singers - and barely moved his lips to sing and still would awe a concert audience.

Other bands have added stuff ranging from dance to light shows in terms of commanding audience focus on this or that.

BTW, "show" is far from a rock invention and predates any sort of electrical amplification. I'm told and have read that Liszt was quite powerful in concert.

m

So I was watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAzdgU_kpGo&ob=av2n

And I got to thinking about what amazing stage presence Led Zeppelin had. So it inspired me to ask you guys to post videos of bands you think have amazing stage presence.

BTW, What guitar is Jimmy Page playing in this video? Never seen anything like it. msp_confused.gif

Jimmy is playing an old Danelectro 3021. The reissues in recent years have been called 59-DCs.

I think it tends to run along the lines of if you like the performer then they have stage presence for you anyway. I don't think it means the same for everyone.

Pink Floyd's concerts were huge events with light shows and props but I wouldn't say any member of the band had amazing stage presence.

The Who in their prime were so powerful live and Springsteen so passionate with his audience both have it.

I think it tends to run along the lines of if you like the performer then they have stage presence for you anyway. I don't think it means the same for everyone.

I agree 100% with you and add that if the performer stands there like Clapton or Geddy Lee that ain't stage presence; it is performing. This is stage presence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM6nasmkg7A&feature=related

Wish you could dance like Rob Tyner, don't you?

I dunno...

I think there's a huge difference between "stage effects/production" and "stage presence."

Figure this: Orbison could hold an audience in the palm of his hand just stroking a guitar and having his mouth half-open for singing. Elvis hadda wiggle.

Chris Ledoux on the country side - well, "Western Underground" anyway - had smoke and fire and a bucking bull... Nugent can shoot a bow and arrow... whatever...

And Orbison could hold them with a song. Ditto many others whose performance itself is enough to hold an audience silent or moving as they might wish.

Don't get me wrong, there's a time and place and market for stage productions - but that's not the same as "stage presence."

m

Archived